Waiting for biopsy results...

KarenR

Hi everyone,

I had a chest X-ray on May 2nd and they found a mass on the upper lobe of my right lung. The CT showed that some of my lymph nodes were also compromised. They are also doing an MRI of my liver to check out a cyst. Initial stage is III a. I’ve had several CT scans,  a brain MRI, a pet scan and a biopsy. I am meeting with the doctor next Thursday for results and a plan.

I have been staying pretty positive, but it really hit me today for some reason. I’m afraid that they won’t be able to treat it. 
After I found this site I felt more hopeful. So, I wanted to say thank you to all who post here. 

I hope to be an inspiration to others one day.

God bless and be well.

Karen

Hi, Karen, and welcome. What lit up on your pet scan? Virtually ALL lung cancers are treatable--some types are harder to treat than others (e.g., small cell), but there are quite a few people here many years out from an advanced cancer, with no evidence of disease. 

You want to be sure your tissue samples are sent out for molecular testing. That will show whether you have a mutation that might be treatable with a pill rather than chemo or radiation. 

I know it's frustrating to be having all these tests and waiting for the results, but it's critical that the docs have as much info as possible before launching into a treatment plan. 

Glad you found us!

Karen

Welcome from me as well. At a stage 3a I would find it next to impossible to believe there aren't multiple and effective treatment options.

As you get more details, share them here. I doubt there is a first line treatment that somebody on the forum hasn't experienced.

I'm 18 months out from finding my mass and currently NED...but I still have those down days. I call them my dark days. Just a day where I wake up and think..damn, I have Lung Cancer.

Again, welcome

Peace

Tom

Hi Karen, I'm echoing what Lexie said. I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB non-small cell adenocarcinoma in October 2019 with an EGFR mutation that was discovered in the biomarker (molecular) testing. I take a daily targeted therapy pill and am NED (No Evidence of Disease) today. There are many options for treatment, so hang in there while you wait for your treatment plan. 

Karen,

You've gotten great advice so far and I'll just reiterate it and add a couple of items.  Try and stay away from Google...reading stats online is not only depressing, but is also looking at old data that doesn't reflect the treatments available today.  It sounds like you've already been through a lot of meetings with the treatment team, but it does help out to get a small notebook and as questions come to mind you can jot them down for the next discussion with your doctor.  Also remember that you ask your questions here as well.  We're not doctors and we don't diagnose, but we have a wide variety of treatments and will share our personal experience with you in order to help you navigate the treatment path more easily.  Please stay in touch and let us know the outcome of your tests and what the treatment plan will be.

Lou

• 1 month later...

Karen

I see u posted in May, hopefully you're still frequenting this site. What size nodule/mass did u have?

I'm newly diagnosed with a 5.2cm mass and hungry for like situations and what treatments to expect. 

I still have not had a PET or biopsy for staging, but want any and all info to help ease my anxiety.

Best wishes to you.

• 2 months later...

Hi Dona,

I just saw your post. I hope you are doing well. My mass was 6.5 cm. It has been significantly reduced by radiation and chemo  (radiation every weekday for 6 weeks and chemo every 3 weeks / 3 rounds)and the lymph nodes that were affected are clear. They did genetic testing and found that I have an EGFR mutation and so I started Tagrisso last night which is specifically for the EGFR mutation.

Every day I try to stay positive. I had a terrible time with nausea during chemo but it passed. I have some shortness of breath but I still do what I can as far as activity goes. Sometimes it’s a long walk and sometimes it’s a walk around around the block and sometimes it’s a rest day. ! I just keep moving and enjoying life.

if you would like to talk about the treatments please let me know. I’m happy to share the good, the bad and the ugly.

God bless you and hang in there.

Best,

Karen

KarenR,

It's good to hear that you are experiencing good results from your treatment.  And yes, some days are workout...some a stroll and others a rest day, but you keep moving forward and that can only help you.  Keep enjoying life...take advantage and have fun.  After all, that's what we are all looking for when we seek to get well...

Lou

Archived