New here

Guest Deb

Hi everyone, I have been looking (lurking) around here for about a week. I am having a bad day today for some reason. I think it is because I can't get ahold of the people at the insurance company about when to expect my first long term disability check. :x Why are things so slow with this (money)? Anyways, my last doctors visit went well, tumor shrinkage, desided to do 2 more rounds of chemo, at this point I don't think it will hurt.

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the site. Glad you chose to post when you are having a bad day. We all have them, that's for sure, but the people here always make you feel better!

Praying that your disability comes through soon :D

Good luck with your chemo and keep us posted!

TAnn

Insurance companies are amazing, there always seem to be a hassle, especially when you are sick. Bahumbug!

Please post more often, as you have read we all love to vent together, cry together, laugh together, celebrate together, and grieve together.

The love here is amazing :)

Hi Deb,

Just to let you know, miracles do happen. I have an acquaintance with Stage IV adeno nsclc, and after treatments ( and unbridled optimism) he was found NED eight months later.

So don't worry about ancient statistics and wet blanket predictions.

Just focus on beating the beast.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your support and well wishes. Update, the insurance thing came through a few days later so I can at least breath a little easier on that note. I have a doctors visit 5-5-04 and I am already beginning to feel the spinning of my head. I just don't know what to ask him anymore. He isn't really forthcoming with information. He always asks me if I have any questions and I have a ton but not sure what I am really asking for. (I want him to tell me there is a cure) I know what I want to hear and in reality I will never hear it. I want him to tell me I could be cured and live a long and happy life. He had already told me in the beginning that I was uncurable, inoperable. I wanted them to operate immediately but he said they couldn't (I am stage IV). Basically I am looking for a miracle to happen. I do want to ask him about the GVAX for I think I might just fit the criteria of the trial. I have lymph node involvement that could be removed. I just want this cancer to just go away and never show its ugly face to me again.

Deb

Deb,

Write down the questions you want to ask.

Ask him about putting you forward for consideration for the GVAX trials.

Shake the bushes!! and see what you can do.

You are your own best advocate, so be proactive!!!!

If the doctor understands you aren't going to take no for an answer, and you are asking for the most aggressive treatment possible because you WANT to beat this beast, he may very well come through for you.

So write down your questions, do your homework, and focus on doing what you have to do to take care of yourself.

Miracles do happen. Every day.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Maryann,

I went with a list the last time but I think I am just asking the same questions, just wording them differently. The onc kept telling me there were other things we still had left to try. I am going to take the GVAX trial phone number with me next visit and ask him to call them. This GVAX looks to me like the miracle I am looking for. I do believe in miracles. I am not medically inclined so the problem with questions is I feel STUPID, I don't know the medical lingo. I know that is not true, but with cancer I am not an expert. Thanks for your input.

Deb

Deb,

Do you feel stupid because your doctor doesn't like to answer questions and pulls the "aura of godliness" crap on you? I had a doctor like that about 12 years ago - and I decided I didn't need to PAY someone to be an *ss to me, lots of people will do THAT for free! :wink:

If you are satisfied with your medical treatment but not the "bedside" treatment, take the doctor to task. MAKE SURE that you have asked your questions and that they are ANSWERED so that you understand what is said (write it down, all that stuff begins to swim after awhile). It is YOUR body that is in question here, who knows better what you FEEL than you? Your doctor can give you "normal chain of events", etc., but when it comes right down to it, everyone is unique and what works for John Doe may not work for you - and vice versa.

Bottom line - if you're feeling dumb, figure out why. If it's how your doctor is treating you, figure out how to fix it and DEMAND the service you are paying for...if it is something that you are projecting, work on that. You are NOT stupid, just "new" to the game. You SHOULD have questions and be concerned with what the plan is for YOUR body...

Good luck!

Becky

Guest Billie

Deb,

I know how scared and desperate you feel. There are so many of us here that truly understand what you are going through. I am very close to entering the GVAX trials myself. Just a few more tests to pass. Anyway, you don't have to wait for your doctor to call. You can call them yourself and they will speak to you at length about the trial and the criteria for participation in the program. I wish you the best of luck with that and keep us posted as to how you're doing.

Billie