Bad news yesterday

Guest bbypookins

Guest bbypookins

Hi everyone-

It's been a few months since I posted. Everything had been going so well after Mom's scan in December when she had 25% shrinkage. It was almost as if we forgot she had cancer, which is why I haven't been on here. However, yesterday she got the results of her lastest CT scan, which was done last week following her last round of chemo, and they said it is growing again. She asked the onc how much time he thought she had and he said maybe six months so he's putting her on Iressa. She still feels fine! Shouldn't we be doing more??? Isn't Iressa a last resort? She only had six rounds of chemo (carbo and gemzar) and that was it. She responded well to that at first. As I said, she had a 25% shrinkage after the first two rounds. It just seems to me we should try another combination of chemo drugs or something. I know that the doctors really have no idea when it comes to life expectancy, but it's really thrown us all. Especially Mom. She just can't get the six months out of her head. I knew she shouldn't have asked that question. I'm looking into clinical trials and I think she's finally ready to get a second opinion. Any recommendations or advice on what we should do? You guys are the greatest.

please RUN to another oncologist. NOONE has any rights or knowledge of how much time any of us has here. Tell him to take a flying leap and that he too could be gone in 6 months when your car goes out of control and runs his sorry self over and crushes his non-compassionate self into the pavement.....

sorry about that. please talk to another doctor.

I agree with getting the second opinion. Unless this guy has a direct line to God's ear he has no way of telling "when". A best guess or an estimate maybe but thats the extent of it. As long as there are other treatment options available I would pursue them or at least check in to them.

Prayers and best wishes.

God Bless,

MO

I'm sorry to hear you mom's cancer is growing again. :cry: Regarding chemo, my dad's doctor told us that chemo is effective for approximately 5-6 months. At that point, your body is immune to it and it's no longer effective and your body needs at least a 3 - 4 month break before it will have a chance to become effective again. I don't know much about Iressa, but have heard it can really be effective in some people. Maybe your mom could try this for awhile and if it works....GREAT! If not, maybe by that time chemo could be started again.

As far as "6 months left to live", I agree with the others who posted. THE DOCTORS DON'T KNOW. My mom begged my dad's doctor to tell her how much time he had left when he was first diagnosed. He didn't want to give her that information, but she begged. So he did. He was given 16 months. In November, my dad was in remission, but now the cancer is back. I was with my parents when they received this news. I'm so glad my mom didn't ask that question again!!!! My dad was in remission once, so why couldn't he be again since he responded so well to chemo!! :lol:

My husband's cousin was give DAYS to live when he was diagnosed with leukemia. The doctors hadn't seen a case that seemed so hopeless....that was 9 years ago...today he's cancer free!!! Never give up hope!!!

I will keep your family in my prayers.

The Doctor is not GOD! Everyone is different and he is only guessing. So what if that is what he thnks. Your mom doesn't have to believe it! Right? My husband asked his Dr and she said "maybe one or two years". Sounds like a guess to me!! :D

Tess

after 3 round of chemo, my father's tumor was stable. (no shrinkage or growth)

then, my father had radiation (2 times a day) + low dose chemo for 5 weeks - 70% shrinkage

now, hving iressa to keep him stable.

so, i think radiation + low dose chemo works well on my father.

Hi...I'm so sorry to hear about the recent news. I agree with the route you seem to be taking...I would do the same thing. There's a GVAX trial at UCSF...maybe you can get your mom into it? GVAX trial seems to be the hopeful trial from what I've read.

Guest patti proctor

We were told that our Mother had 6 mos. also. She lived for almost 4 more years. She had several mets throughout the brain, lung, liver and adrenal.

He is an idiot for telling you that. Please go to someone else.

Iressa can do some pretty cool things, can keep energy high, and keep things stable for extended periods of times. I would look into chemosensitivity - the process is a lot more accurate and faster than it used to be. Basically, they take a sample of the tumor to it and submit pieces of the sample to various combinations of drugs to see which is most toxic to the tumor. There have been posts about that. Also, check into the clinical trials. The vaccine trials look especially promising to me, but there are several more that your mom may be eligible for that Becky wasn't because many will only let you in if you have only had one chemo combination before.

Curtis