Newcomer

Guest BJ

Hello,

I'm BJ, I'm 47 (I was 46 when I was diagosed) and I am new to this. I was diagosed on 8/03 with sclc. I went to the doctor for a physical because I was concerned about my blood pressure. To make a long story short he did a chest x-ray because I was a smoker and a tumor was found (7cm) and a lymph node in my chest was enlarged. I did not have any symptoms. I started chemo the first friday in Sept. 2004. I have completed the six months of chemo which consisted of chemptostar and cisplatin. The tumor is gone. I have had a bone scan and a brain scan, both were negative. I also had a PET scan done to verify the tumor was gone. The last time I talked to my Doctor was on 3/19/04 when he told be the results of the PET scan. He told me he wanted to see me in 4 weeks. I'm taking a well deserved vacation so he will see me in 5 weeks. I just want to know what to expect next? Since my brain scan was negative should I still get the brain radiation? Are there certain questions I should be asking my doctor? Any reply to my email will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the family BJ. It sounds like you are doing great! I am not experienced enough with sclc to answer your questions. (My Dad has nsclc) There are many survivors here with sclc though. I am sure they will jump in soon to welcome you. There is a sclc message board. Check it out. There is some good info there. Again, welcome!!! Glad you found this group of wonderful caring people. If you stick around, you will grow to love them just as I have! :D

Angie

Hello,

Wlecome to the family. You seem to have done well with your treatments. Please do a search on this site for PCI (Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation ) and WBR (whole brain radiation). These topics have been discussed extensively on this site and you might learn something that might help you with your decision. Meanwhile enjoy your well-deserved vacation!

Theresa

BJ - Welcome. That is a great success. As other people said do a search on "PCI sclc" on the internet or this website.

Generally, PCI is recommended for limited stage in complete remission (which I think you are).

There are pros and cons - try to get as much info as you can from the doctor.

Welcome BJ. I also was first dx'd with sclc and did chemo along with 31 radiation treatments. Hit a stable point and did PCI then dx'd with mets to lymph and liver (now a combo of sclc and nsclc). I had a few side effect from the PCI, but I would do it agaain if need be.

Tough decision to make based on YOUR own feelings. Prayers for strength headed your way.

God Bless,

MO

your message caught my attention...my husband is 48 and has just begun treatment...he has completed 28 radiation treatments and 1 chemo cycle so far..your story brings me hope...we have been married 17 years...and I will do anything to be granted many many more.. I am so happy for your good news

Wow, BJ! That's great news - to have a 7 cm tumor disappear in 6 mos. is VERY GOOD NEWS! That's about the size my hubby's was (only NSCLC), and that varmit is being a little more stubborn. You need to have a BIG celebration while you are on vacation. Congratulations!

May God continue to bless you with good news, good news, good news, good news, and .............. (more and more of the same) forever!

Peggy

I just want to say hello and tell you how wonderful it is to hear the results you've gotten from treatment. I wish everyone would do as well as you have. Enjoy your time and don't waste a minute of it!!!! Life is so precious! I'm 47 also and my hubby Dave is 51. He was diagnosed with 4th stage in July w/3 legions on brain and liver. He had radiation 15x to brain and it did clean it out but I also notice a big change in him from the radiation. I suggest you really talk to your dr. before making that decision. There are good and bad points. Dave had severe burning in his ears for weeks from it. Everyone is different. On the other hand, they say its clean now so it was worth it. Good luck w/whatever you decide.

I just want to thank you for your responses. I'm so glad to have found this site and be able to read up on things and share experiences with others! I even found out what NED was in the glossary! My husband and I celebrated our 28th anniversary on the 10th and we leave for Las Vegas on the 17th, returning on the 22nd and I see the doctor on the 23rd. This will be my first visit with the Doctor since my PET showed clean. What should I expect when I see him? He did mention that he may have me do another cat scan. Would this be to see if the tumor is growing back?

Once again Thank You for your responses!