house question

kimblanchard

I have been looking around at houses in San Antonio, and I have found one that I really like, but a smoker lives there currently. I would like to be able to remove the smell and so forth, but my overwhelming concern is for Katie. She obviously now has a very scary family history. What would need to be done to make sure this house would be safe for her? Thanks for your help.

Curtis

LIving near oil refineries would be a bigger problem in Texas or Louisiana, air pollution. Up here in the midwest we have a huge radon problem especially in the winter when the house is shut up and no exchange of fresh air. Hope your move goes smoothly. Donna G

Curtis,

As a nonsmoker, you will probably be bothered by the lingering oder. Have the carpets replaced, the draperies replaced and repaint, that should take care of the worst of it. Ionic or Hepa filters do much to keep the air clean and fresh.

Kiss that pretty little girl for all of us! :D:D

Blessings

Betty

Curtis,

I agree with Betty. Have all the carpet and drapes replaced and maybe walls either painted or a cleaning crew to come in and wash down all the walls. Make sure all filters for furnace, air conditioning and etc. are replaced. Use the Hepa filters. You can maybe have your realtor add this to the escrow instruction papers and have the current home owner absorb some of the cost. It's worth a try. It depends on how anxious the home owner is and wants to sell. Ie., has he had other offers, how long has the house been on the market? These are things to consider also. It is to your advantage to ask for this in your escrow paperwork... Good luck and praying for the best for you and Katie...

Blessings,

Karen

PS - My hubby was a realtor for 18 years. Hope this helps

Curtis,

My husband moved into a chain-smokers house five years ago - it was impossible to wash the walls because the smoke that had accumulated turned to a nasty mud.. Our solution was two coats of Kilz followed by two coats of paint. I don't know if you would actually need to replace carpeting if it is in good condition, but I would definitely shampoo it.

One thing to help with the immediate problem is to open all the windows and let the darn thing air out. Get rid of the stagnant air and then begin to freshen up (kinda like when ya burn something you're cooking and have to clear the air to get the smoke detector to stop beeping).

...and an FYI on painting - sure is easier when there's NO furniture to move around. We are currently sprucing up our little house to sell it and working around the furniture is proving to be a big "issue".

I don't think there would be any lingering health effects from "solid smoke residue" versus a constant new supply of secondhand smoke - but I could be wrong, it happens sometimes.

Take care of you and yours,

Becky

Curtis, I second everything that the other Karen said and also what Gail said about cleaning out the ventilation system - get a professional company to do that. I would replace all the carpets and have the walls cleaned and painted. And I like the idea of trying to get the seller to pay for some of it.

And definitely test for radon. I remember Becky posting one time that she wondered about the house ya'll lived in - was it in Florida? - before you moved to Nac.

Keep us posted.

Karen C.

Guest randa'sdaughter

Both of my parents smoked in their house for 20+ years. When they quit, they painted walls, baseboards and the ceilings. (Don't forget the ceiling!) They also replaced old carpet with new and with tile. When they moved out of that house in December, you would have never guessed that a smoker had ever even lit up in that house.

Best wishes for you and Katie.

CURTIS,

I have an employee that is also a real estate broker and can find excellent deals on homes in San Antonio. I have an office in San Antonio off of Dezavala and I-10 there.

Give me a shout if You would like to talk with him. He is a great guy as well...

Thanks

Rick

If the carpet is not new, it should be replaced as well as the Air Ducts cleaned, Ceiling Fans cleaned (The collect tons of Debris from Smoke), Walls and ceilings primered and painted, all wallpaper (non-Vinyl) replaced or removed, draperies and mini blinds replaced or thoroughly washed and that will take some of the leftovers from the smokers out of the house.

It is impossible to get it all out unless you replaced the sheetrock and the insulation which would be ridiculous. You can make it safe to live in with a lot of elbow grease and time.