Hello all

Hello to everyone here. I sure wish I was anywhere else but here. I entered the hospital on 3/23/03 with severe leg cramps and chronic Bronchitis (results of low sodium level, side effect of SCLC). I had a biopsy performed on 3/25 confirmed SCLC and started chemo on 3/27!! I had virtually no chance for it to all sink in before I was started. It is in the Limited Stage with lymph node involvement however I have been told it is inoperable. I have gone through 3 rounds of chemo so far (Carboplatin and VP-16) with 1-3 more rounds scheduled and just finished 30 rounds of radiation treatments this past Friday. I have not had a 2nd opinion performed yet but will be going to Johns Hopkins if treatments do not come out the way we all hope they will. I have a CT scan scheduled for June 6th and I fully expect all traces of Cancer to be gone from my body or at least greatly diminished. The power of positive thinking is a powerful force. I have that and many prayers on my side. I have been praying everyday for God to grant me and my family the strength needed to deal with whatever His plan is for us and I know that he will. I am 38 years old and my wife and I returned from China on 11/2/2002 after adopting our (now) 20 month old baby girl named Faith. I am fortunate that I have a very strong support group including an older sister who works for the National Childhood Cancer Foundation and has assisted me with all my research. I have pretty much figured out that I really do not fit into any of the statistical groups that are published about survival rates. I started researching SCLC and statistics and got very depressed until my sister pointed out a very good article to me which can be found at http://cancerguide.org/median_not_msg.html

You may have to read it a couple of times to fully understand it but it is a very good article ( I had to read it more than a couple of times to fully understand it all, you will see what I mean!)

I am not sure where I am going with his posting. I am going to beat this thing. I have a family to raise. I have been having a progressively harder time with the chemo although the doctors and nurses all say I am doing remarkably well with the chemo and radiation, guess I can just feel it more as time goes on. This past round of chemo really hit me hard for the first couple of days with not being able to sleep but I feel really, really good today. Well I feel as if I am rambling now. Guess I just wanted to share my story with you all. This is a great site and I have been checking it out for several weeks now.

Till next time

David C

David , So sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. This is a great message board filled with loving, caring,understanding people who have all walked in the shoes of lung cancer as a survivor or as a caregiver, or family member.

I am a nonsmall cell lung cancer survivor myself, was dx in may 02, there are lots more of too.

I won't have any problem spelling your name at least, mine is David A.

Take care my friend, know that you are in our prayers,

David A

Hi, David C! It is possible that your insomnia could be due to a steroid, if you are taking one at the beginning of chemo for nausea. My wife takes one the first two days and she has difficulty sleeping until she stops the steroid. Chemo is known to increase in side effects as you progress. That has happened with Lucie, my wife. She is on her fifth round. Here's wishing you the best and I'm glad you decided to join us. Don

Sorry that you have to be here, but these people are a very stong bunch with alot of great insights. They are a great source of encouragement also. I will be praying for you also. God is great and does work miracles. Hang in there.

welcome. you are in a good place here. anything you want to ask - go right ahead. i have the same diagnosis as you sclc - limited. i too went through 4 rounds of three days each chemo and 16 twice a day radiation. that was in april-june of last year. i'm still here and doing fine. i feel fine physically. you're younger than me (i'm 50) but that is definitely on your side. your WILL MAKE IT. 8) everyone here is cool and will support you 100%. earlier today i was very down. sometimes we get that way, ya know, but i'm better now and so, now, i'm here for you when you feel down - 8):)

David, your message is very heartwarming. I too, believe that a positive attitude is very important and you are very lucky to have all the support that you do. I feel as you do, that I have too much to live for, NOT to beat it. I am just starting out with all of this, waiting for treatment to begin... Keep that positive attitude going, David. You have a beautiful family. I will keep you in my prayers. Cherry45

Hi David C,

I'm so sorry to hear of your DX of Lung Cancer :( , but I'm so glad that you have decided to join us. :D We are here to support and encourage you in this fight. Your family is beautiful and you are trully blessed to have such a beautiful new baby in your life. :D

My Mom was DX with SCLC in 10/02 and she is doing well. The cancer responds well to radiation and chemo. Its not easy but hopefully you will get through it with not too many side effects. My Mom had a hard time on her fourth chemo. The key really is to keep yourself hydrated and have your blood work checked weekly.. If you feel to bad don't try to be "tough" and if you or your Dr. thinks you need blood or hydration, then go to the hospital and get it! It will only help you in the long run.

Once again welcome and take care!

Bless you and your family,

Laurie

Welcome to the board David,you have found the best thing here next to sliced bread.I am so thankful that i managed to find this place and meet everyone.Great scource of experience and knowledge here.It sound like your diagnosis is similar to mine.I also went from diagnosis to chemo in a flash.I have just finished my third round of cispaltin and vp - 16.I start my radiation next thurs.I also have two youngters ages 12 and 14.I hope to see my 12 year old gradute high school is my goal.I want this more than anything in the world and to me this is realistic.Again david welcome to the board and keep us posted.

Greg

Hi David and welcome from another LS-SCLC survivor. You're in the right place. I mean in this board and in your state of mind. You're going through the tough part now, it will get better.

I was blessed enough to get a complete remission and I'm sure you will too. You'll get to know a lot of great people here and we all look forward to your input too.

Hi David,

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you are doing well and have a good attitude. There's no reason to think you can't beat this. I'm glad you posted the picture of your family, it makes it so much more personal. I wish everyone would do this (hint, hint). Not long ago, I never would have dared, but cancer changes a lot of things. This is such a wonderful group, it's hard not to feel welcome and relaxed here. It really is the best medicine. Look forward to more of your posts and hope you continue to do well.

Jenny

Hi David C.

Well, I too wish to welcome you to our wonderful extended family, and I too know we would ALL like to be hanging out at the (LETS TALK sex BOARD)! Or something fun or funny?! hehehe!

I just wanted to share with you that I facilitate a Lung Cancer Support Group here in MN., and I have a couple long term SCLC survivors in our group. One is Limited and she is a soon to be 3 year survivor and she was 46 when she was dx.d. The other gal is a 3+ year SCLC survivor and her's is extensive SCLC and had spread to her liver. Both of these gal's are doing WONDERFUL and are still free and clear of lung cancer. I also know a lady that is a 14 year Limited SCLC survivor and she too is doing very well.

I wish you all the best and as for having a positive attitude, well my new friend, it sure as heck helps us through the rough spots of this journey, so I say, STAY POSITIVE!!!!

You have a beautiful family and I thank you for sharing them with us. And as for the STATISTICS!! HOG WASH, THROW THEM AWAY!!! The word

(STATISTICS) is FIGHTEN words for us Lung Cancer Survivors!! :wink::roll:

I have survived LC soon to be 8 years and I shouldn't have made it this long!!! HUMMMM SURPRISE!!! Ya just NEVER KNOW!!

GOD BLESS and stay with us.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Guest DaveG

Hi David:

Welcome to "David's Club". :D:D:D You have probably noticed we have a few David's here. You mus join us in the Chat Room, every Wednesday from 8-10 CT. That way David Arley and myself will have a force of power :lol::lol::lol::lol: .

It is too bad you have the need to find us, but now you are among friends, who fully understand, all too well, your plight, as we all share the same disease, Lung Cancer. All of us have been through one or the same type of treatment your going through, so can get answers for your questions from those who reaaly know, because we have been where you are and have experienced much the same pain.

Take a moment and read about Lung Cancer Survivors for Change on the home page and read the stories about Estrea and myself, un der "About Us" (link found on home page).

My story just stared Chapter 2, as I have been recently restaged to Stage IV, NSCLC (Non Small Cell Lung Cancer) with systemic Mets to my lymphatic system.

I Thank God, each day that I have this group to turn to. I used to post everyday, but since my staging, it has been difficult to give support, when I am the one, in fact, seeking support. But when I see the need I will jump in.

Good luck with your tests and doctor visits.

Welcome David,

Wish you didn't have to be here. What joy to have your new baby daughter, she is beautiful.

Also, what is it with the name David - David A, David C, David G and David P. Only need 22 more Davids to complete the alphabet.

Good luck on your journey - your attitude will help you tremendously.

Hi David,

I am very sorry that LC brings you here. But am glad we can be here to offer you support and caring.

You have a lot in common with my husband. He was also diagnosed in March with SCLC (which was later changed with a second opinion from the Mayo Clinic to Atypical Carcinoid). He is 31, and also out of any statistical group that we've been able to research.

You both have the right attitude. You will beat this. You are young, and strong and that will go a long way to carry you through this. They can treat your cancer aggressively because of your age and health. In addition, your positive attitude will work miracles.

I look forward to hearing more from you (hopefully in the good news forum).

Until then, you are in my prayers

Carleen

Well David, we have something in common other than lung cancer, we both have adopted Asian children. My husband and I have a son and daughter from Korea and a biological daughter. My husband found the chemo seemed to have an accumulative effect, that it got harder on him after each treatment. Get lots of rest and drink lots and lots of fluids, it will really help.

Also, since you are a believer in the power of the mind, I would reccomend Bernie Siegel's books. We got them on tape to listen to in the car on the way to treatments or during treatment. They are very calming. Best wishes to you. If you join us in the chat room on Wednesday as Dave G suggests, you have to go by Ed or something as we have too many Daves! :)