Hi All it has been awhile

kitkathi

Hi Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have posted. I used to be under the name of "daviskathi" but I have had (a lot) of problems logging in so I have gotten of my duff and have re-named myself "kitkathi". I have been doing a lot of lurking on the boards. I have been saddened by all the passings. I have also been dealing with my father-in-law's lung cancer in addition to my fathers. For those of you who don't remember me, my dad was DX SCLC last summer. He did the chemo/radiation/PCI. The members on this board helped in guiding me to ask the right questions to my dad's oncologist. My dad got very sick from the chemo and radiation but pressed on. Although he is still somewhat weak (treatement ended in Jan) and still doesn't have his appetite back, he is alive. His most recent scan (last week) is still clear and has NED! I want to thank everyone on this board. Although I haven't been active on the posts, I read everyone's posts everyday. The people on this board are amazing! I have never met a more caring group ever! So I am back from "no man's land" and promise to not lurk anymore. I just wanted to post and pass on words of encouragement to everyone and especially the new people who are just starting off in dealing with lung cancer. I do have a question though, is it normal to still not have an appetite? My dad's treatment (PCI) ended in January (end) and he still says that everthing tastes really bad. He hasn't gained any of the weight back that he had lost. The only thing that tastes good to him is licorice! Anyway, it will be an emotional weekend for my family. They are all flying down to California from N. Dakota this thursday. I am graduating from college on Saturday and my dad will be in the audience. He told me that he is so happy that he can see me graduate because he never thought he would still be alive. When I found out that he had cancer, I wanted to PELP (leave from school) to take care of him but he wouldn't let me. I will post a picture of me and my dad at my graduation ceremony. Sorry for rambling on but I have missed you all!

Kathi

Hi Kathi and welcome back.

What good news that your dad is NED! That is wonderful! So happy for you all. Also Congratulation on your Graduation. Your dad must be very proud of his wonderful daughter. I know I would be! As for the taste problem, that might be a long term side effect from the PCI. I have heard that can happen. As for the weight problem..... you might want to tell him to eat some ice cream and good old fattening foods if he can handle it. I know they use to give MEGACE to cancer patients to help them gain their weight back. It's a pill but it seems to help put the weight back on. I was on it for a while and I have to say I did gain the weight! :shock:

Have a GREAT time with the family. And keep us posted to how things are going.

Good luck and God Bless.

Welcome back Kathi. It is wonderful that your father is NED, my favorite acronym.

Have a great time this weekend and celebrate your graduation, your father's health and your family reunion.

Keep us posted on your father, he sounds like an inspiration to many of our family here.

Kathi thanks so much for posting! Once someone "joins" we all want to try to keep up how things are going. Your news is great news! I sure bet your Dad is so happy to see his girl graduate especially where he can go to the graduation with NED. Congratulations for finishing up. Now the learning begins. Donna G

Kathi, welcome back. For the appetite issue, my dad had the taste back 2 months after PCI finished gradually. We encouraged him to eat more although he didn't want to...so he ate congee with some meats & mushrooms (very slowly) etc. He also ate a lot of raisin bread (I guess the bread was soft enough for him). So that he kept his weight except he lost some during the latest stage.

Try different type of food (avoid sugar as much as you can) that arouse his appettite and encouragement is the most important thing. Or you can try ENSURE for avoiding any further weight loss.

Kathi,

I am so happy for you to be graduating. I know this last year it has been hard for you to concentrate but its worth it ....your dad will be so proud to see you get that diploma. NED is a wonderful thing. Your dad has at least two things to celebrate now and his appetite, I feel sure, will improve with time...but you might want to mention it to his doc.

Nina