mom's new diagnosis--stage 111A

Hello everyone, I've been reading this board for the last few months since my mom was diagnosed and I have found it to be so informative and inspirational.

My mom is a 58 yr old non-smoker who was diagnosed with stage 111a in march 04 after going to the dr for a recurring cough. She has been a trooper so far! She has already gone through 6 weeks of carbo/taxol and radiation. her tumor was initially about 4cm--it shrunk about 50%. She had some lymph node involvment next to the tumor and in the mediastinum area. The hope was that the tumor would shrink and the lymph nodes would be knocked out by the radiation. Well, she had surgery last week and the dr successfully took out the tumor portion of her lung, but still found cancer in the mediastinum--he did his best to remove a lot of scar tissue and take out any visible disease--however the path report just came back and 1 out of 4 tested nodes were still infected. We were just so hoping that everything would be clean. SHe meets with her dr on monday to discuss options. My mom is recovering well physcially from the surgery--she is a strong and otherwise healthy person--it is so hard to believe that she is going through this. I think we are all still in shock. Has anyone had a similar issue after going through surgery--is chemo the next step? I'm sure her dr will let her know what he wants to do on monday, but it is so hard to wait all weekend to hear the news.

Thank you and best to all!

Denise

Hi Denise and WELCOME,

I'm so glad you decided to post. "Months" is a long time to lurk without talking to us. My husband didn't have the option of surgery, so I can't help you much with treatment after surgery either, but there have been lots and lots of posts, especially recently, about surgery and what comes after. Also, other members will come on here after me who have had surgery themselves and will be able to give you a lot better advice than I can.

I just wanted to welcome you. Please come back and talk to us often and let us know how your mom is doing.

God bless you,

Peggy

Recently at thoracic Onocology meetings they have been spreading the word until they come up with a better screening than just Path reports, they are recommending even Stage I to have chemo after surgery. The reason being micrometastasis. Up to 40 % have reaccurance of lung cancer within a year, With chemo they are hoping to better these number giving better survival also. Donna G

Welcome Denise,

I am sorry about your Mom and am glad you have decided to start posting and get the support you need. We rae all here for you and your Mom. Please let us help you all that we can. I dont know anything about the questions you ask but you can bet others do and will be posting. Take care and keep that chin up.

God Bless you Both,

Jane

Denise,

Glad you decided to post. We are always interested in each other. I had chemo and radiation after surgery. I was initially dx'd with 1A...then they found mediastinal involvment and I was moved to IIIA. The surgeon removed 17 nodes on that side of the mediastinum and one was questionable, therefore considered to be malignant. 16 months after surgery I am doing well. I go for more tests next week and am praying for another NED results. Since your mom has already had chemo I assume they will try again with different drugs, or maybe more of the same. Sounds like she is doing great after going through such rough time. I wish you both well. Come back often.

Nina

Denise,

So glad you changed your status from lurker to family member. Now you can ask the questions that you have.

My husband had surgery 12/02 and lymph node involvement was found. He had 33 radiation treatments and 3 rounds of taxotere.

My philosophy is that if you are healthy enough and can tolerate the treatments, each one offers you a better chance to survive and beat this disease.

Again, welcome and keep us posted on your Mother's progress.