Child of the 80's

jamie

Ok guys, this is nothing cancer related...just lookin for anyone who grew up in the 80s and watched alot of TV

I dont know why, but I have a thing these days for retro 80s TV sitcom, movie tshirts.

Ive begun a bit of a collection (Youd be amazed on what you can find on the internet.)

Looking for any TV shows that I may be overlooking. I already have an Arnold Jackson, MASH, Goonies, Karate Kid, and Thundercats Tshirt. Current looking for a Vinnie Bobarino to add.

Problem is Im running out of ideas for new ones...got any???

Jamie

I grew up a 80's kid trying to think of any you missed. Was Silver spoons in

the 80's ? Happy days, Mork & Mindy, Three's company. On the dukes

of hazard the car was the general lee { I think } My girlfriend happens

to know Tom Wopat I will ask her if maybe she could get a t-shirt from

dukes of Hazard. Haylee

Haylee,

Again... OH MY GOD!!! Mork and Mindy?? Nanoo, Nanoo! That one is definitly going on my list!!!

Silver Spoons, what was that kids name? Ricky I think...didnt they have a train that they rode in the house?

Just thought of another one... wouldnt a Mr. Belvider one be cool? That girl Bonnie was always screwing up his name calling him things like Mr. Bonnivle or Mr. Bandwagon!

Thanks so much

Jamie

Sorry,

But I just thought of something else...

If you go into your internet search engine, type in "you grew up in the 80s if...", there is a HILARIOUS list of things that will have you peeing your pants and going "Oh my GOD!!! I forgot all about that!" Check it out guys, you'll get a good laugh, if nothing else!

Jamie

How about "WKRP in Cincinati"? Or......"ALF"? Or......"Webster"? OMG -- "Punky Brewster"!!!!!!

I must admit I am a bit of a 80's dork myself.....try this one out:

80's Music Trivia:

SO HOW MANY BANDS ARE MENTIONED IN HERE ANYWAY?

I was working part time in a five and dime. My boss was Mr. Magee. He was six foot four and full of muscles and walked like an Egyptian, but I was happy to be stuck with him. One manic Monday, while I was busy working for the weekend, I overheard him make a careless whisper.

He told two of my co-workers, Jack and Diane, that I gave love a bad name. Well, I got so emotional, baby. I told him to say say say what he wants, but don't play games with my heart. He told me it was hard for him to say he's sorry and not to worry, to be happy. Then he blamed it on the rain. He was so out of touch. It just took my breath away. I couldn't fight this feeling any longer. I asked him What's love got to do with it? He told me to get outta his store and his dreams and into my car.

So I figured I might as well jump. I cut footloose, went home and called my girl, Jenny. (You already know the number) She was on the other line with Amanda. They were talking about Mickey and how he was so fine. That blew my mind! Was she really going out with him? I told her that I had just called to say I love her. She told me she had been saving all her love for me, but now she was looking for a new love - hasta la vista, baby. I thought "I can't go for that - no can do! Bring me a higher love!"

I called up some of my old west end girls, hoping that one of them would want to get physical all night long (all night). First I called Billie Jean

- she told me to beat it. I called Rosanna - her sister Christian. blessed the rains down in Africa and then hung up on me. Come on, Eileen!

... no answer. Nobody told me there'd be days like these! I was feeling like the owner of a lonely heart. Then, out of the blue, my best friend's girlfriend (she used to be mine) Roxanne calls. Yes, the real Roxanne. She told me she still hadn't found what she's looking for and that she wanted to take on me I said "I thought you were Jessie's girl ."

She said "Don't you want me? You don't have to put on the red light - I'm on my own." What a feeling! I had the eye of the tiger. Who was I f-f-f-foolin? Roxanne drove me crazy like no one else. She's a beauty! She blinded me with science, and weird science at that. There was Always something there to remind me of her and I just knew that I'd have the time of my life. I wasn't about to la-di-da-di. I jumped in my little red Corvette and rocked down to Electric Avenue. I got my mind set on her. When I got to her house (in the middle of her street) I ran. I rapped on her front door and to this rapper's delight, I heard a voice say Who can it be now? "Here I am, the one that you love", I replied. I let my love open the door and was immediately lost in her eyes.

I felt like a virgin touched for the very first time. She loosened her blouse and said "Rock me Amadeus!" Well, I felt it was my prerogative to bust a move. I told her "I'll tumble for ya!" as I pinned her on the stairs, hungry like the wolf. Just then I felt an invisible touch on my shoulder.

Turn around bright eyes! said a familiar voice. As I did, Jessie hit me with a sledgehammer of an uppercut that spun me right round like a record. He was hangin' tough and continued to roll with it, knocking the wind from beneath my wings -broken wings by this time. He rocked me tonight, for old time's sake, beating me from head to toe, until my true colors were black and blue and blood was spilling from my mouth like red, red wine. "You don't owe me money for nothing!" he snarled. At this point I was livin' on a prayer. I crawled back to my little red Corvette and drove home thinking about how my tainted love had cut like a knife - how it seems that every rose, truly, has its thorn. No longer do I want to know what love is. Love stinks.

Heather,

HaHa! The things that sit in the back of my mind that I forget all about!

I think that Im going to make a kareoke tape of all those songs I forgot about! Maybe an 80's themed end of summer BBQ?? I can make my hair tall and frizzy, get some leg warmers, and tie up my hypercolor t-shirt (yes-I still have one)!

The song thing cracked me up! I know that some people will beg to differ...but I think there was no better time to grow up then in the crazy 80's!

Jamie

Jamie , Quite obviously you werent there in the pysedelic 70's, free love, loud music, lousy cars, polyester lesiure suits, big bell bottoms, polyester, platform shoes(women and men), and the ever stinking lousy disco music..

Those were my days I wish I remembered more about them, but a lot of it is a blur. A lot og "That 70's Show" is quite accurate forme except we had much better drugs.

No, I didn't make it up, but being the dorky 80's buff that I am, I save all randome 80's e-mails that I get. I'm sure I could uncover a few more!!!

I also had an "80's Party" about 5 years ago. Everyone had to come dressed in 80's clothes. We had such a turnout! People showed up in legwarmers and "flashdance" type sweatshirts, mini-skirts w/ lace shirts and streaked colored hair all teased up.....and let's not forget the lacy socks w/ high heels.....my favorite was a Billy Idol look-alike, along with a Bill Murray "Caddyshack" and Ally Sheedy "Breakfast Club" couple. The girl even had a backpacked filled with all kinds of stuff, including pixie sticks (like the chartacter in the movie had....)

I couldn't believe how "into" the party everyone got. We showed "16 Candles and "Pretty in Pink" on TV while playing 80's ALBUMS. It was so much fun!!! (and the pictures are hysterical!)

Heather,

Im such an 80s dork that Im kindof sad that I missed an 80s crazed party. Like I said before, I may be thinking of an 80s inspired end of summer BBQ, but well see.

David,

Although I didnt grow up in the 70's... I sure partied like I did :wink:

Jamie

Ok, ya'll - the red dodge charger on the Dukes of Hazzard was called the General Lee.

Cooter - or rather the actor that played him, Ben Jones, was a congressman from Georgia in the late 80's until Newt Gingrich beat him. Then he and his wife moved to rural Virginia, just an hour or two from D.C., and opened up a Cooters museum (no lie). They closed it recently to devote more of their time to the Cooters Place museum in Tennessee. Somehow I am thinking that a Cooters place museum in TN might get more traffic than one stuck in the middle of Virginia horse country.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my two cents worth for '80's TV trivia.

Karen

If you're travelling between Stallion Springs and Tehatchapi California you'll come across "Boss Hogg" Ranch. Has a beat up old black and white police car mounted up on the gate. Kind of interesting as the California Correctional Institute is just down the road a piece. :)

Jamie, for the life of me I can't remember either the character or actor names of the two "hunks" on the show, I do remember that Daisy is Catherine Bach. I think there is a wealth of information on this great piece of American culture on the internet. Go to www.cootersplace.com for everything Cooter related and I bet there's links to other wonderful Dukes websites.

We never did visit the Virginia Cooters Place. It is not far from a beautiful farm called Graves Mountain, which is primarily, I think, an apple orchard. Every fall they have an apple harvest festival and my folks go every year and my brother and his family go sometimes because it's not far from University of Virginia and they are rabid fans so they'll go up to a football game then swing by the farm the next day. we've gone twice, last year Dave's folks were here, we took our travel trailer and they took theirs, Graves Mountain also is a big place for horse back riding they let people camp near the stables for free (dry camp, no hookups) so we did that which was good for Dave since he had just finished PCI so he could rest in the trailer when he got tired. It is big time Good Clean Fun. Ok, I digress and ramble . . . . go to www.gravesmountain.com. ANYWAY, Cooters Place was not far from there and we meant to go last year before ole' Ben closed it down but Dave did not have enough energy for the festival and a breathtaking visit to such a cultural hot spot. but the next time we're near Gaitlinburg TN it will be on our top ten list of things to do there.

Fay: I would LOVE to at least drive by Boss Hogg Ranch. I can't tell you how much I love cheesey stuff like that! that sounds great! wonder if he has a website with a photo?

like I have time for this, geez.

this is fun.

karen

Weren't the characters' names Bo and Luke? I know the dark haired one was Tom Wopat, and didn't the blonde one have a last name like Schneider or something similar? I remember seeing him on ET (or one of those shows) a few years ago . . . was quite puny looking - think I remember his having been through some bad times. And yes, there's a town called Hazard, Kentucky, for which the town on the show was named, although it wasn't filmed there. I traveled there on business once, and they were quite proud of the association.

On another note - I was in charge of my 20 year high school reunion last summer, and it was so much fun to go back through all our old stuff and relive those memories. This goes back a little further, but while I was digging up all that high school stuff, I ran across my mementos from the very first concert I went to . . . Andy Gibb. I was in the 7th grade, so it must've been 1977 or 1978. My sister (Teacake) and a friend of hers (yet another very responsible adult) took several young friends and me to the concert, promising our parents they'd keep a close eye out on us. My memory is of being dropped off at the door, but she'll probably disagree! Anyway, we were found out the next day when on the front page of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer there was a photo taken from the stage. And there we were - right up on the front row screaming our heads off. And not a chaperone in sight. But I digress . . .

Anyway, while going through stuff last year for the reunion, I found not only the poster and t-shirt (small, black, with scoop neck and capped sleeves and HIS beautiful image on the front), but even my ticket stub from the concert. Was just sorry I didn't have a copy of that newspaper. I wrapped it all up and gave it to my best friend Cindy (who of course was at the concert with us) for her 40th birthday last September. You should've seen her face! I have a sneaky suspicion I might get it all back when I turn 40 in February. But then again, she's liable to have that poster pinned to the back of her door and she's even skinny enough to wear that t-shirt.

Come to think of it - another one of our friends, who we didn't meet until later in high school, is having her 40th birthday party this weekend, and at Cindy's party, we found out that the very same Andy Gibb concert was her very first concert also, and she passed out at it. She says it was from the excitement. Yeah, right.

Sorry to have gotten carried away, but this thread has been a much-needed distraction from my TBone worries. Thanks for that.

Blessings,

TeeTaa

You WERE dropped off at the door, BUT we went and parked and then went in and got great seats up and stage right. I had my eyes on you the whole time. Well, not the whole time, 'cause as I remember the whole band was reaaaaaaal cute and I was only a young wife at the time. Katha (TeeTaa) you had to be between 11 and 14 because I was married to Charlie.

Luke Hazzard's real name is John Schneider.

Did anybody mention Good Times (Dynomite!)?

Fran

Ok...

Now I want to go to Boss Hogs ranch too!! My husband already thinks Im a weirdo, so I know he wont be coming along, but I have just the friend to go with... when my kids are old enough to care for themselves (cant trust steve with the child rearing thing)...

Oh, and let me say this... the blond one was the cutest one! And I do think they were Bo and Luke although I dont know which is which. Maybe thats who I named my son after (Luke)...never could remember where I came up with the name... I think in a dream... a dream that involved a countryboy with a cool car...HAHAHA :lol:

Oh... and Fran... DY-NO-MYTE! Id forgotten all about that...yet another on my list JJ was the best!

Jamie

Karen aznd I saw Jesus in Hazard KY!!! We were there for a ralatives wedding (Karens side) and when we got there we had to drive up a small mountain to get to the Hotel. It was a small windy road and on the way up we passed this guy wearing long flowing white robes and sandles with long black hair and a beard. We saw many interesting things while in Hazard, Like the Pampas'Trees along the stream and the his and her houses where the wedding was held. I will let Kareb elaborate if she feels so inclined.

As for the 80's I don't remember much about TV, I was in school at Va. Commonwealth University or on the road playing music going up and down the east coast, I went out on Cruise ships to play music in the late 80's. Did not watch much TV during this time.

David C

David C

How 'bout the A-Team? BA Baracus (BA - Bad Attitude), Howlin' Mad Murdock, The FaceMan...

MacGyver? That man could build ANYTHING with a gum wrapper and match stick... Remember the big bad thing he taught us all, the "bomb" made with a 2-liter bottle, toilet cleaner and aluminum foil that would go off in mailboxes?

Silver Spoons was Ricky Schroeder - and the kid from "Fresh Prince" - Alfonse something - he's the same kid that was dancing with Michael Jackson in the Pepsi commercial - dressed the same as Michael in the RED leather jacket, glitter glove and socks but OH-SO-MUCH-YOUNGER than Michael...

Diff'rent Strokes? Whatyoutalkin'about, Willis?

Dinosaurs! Was that the 80s? Disney put it together...Earl and Fran and kids? "Not the Mama!" - the refrigerator that was full of arms of who knew what?

Janet Jackson was Penny on Good Times...

The Jeffersons...

Magnum PI...

Knight Rider, Airwolf, Max Headroom...

Married with Children began in the 80s...

Arsenio Hall with the DogPound...

Oh, I remember the 80s...(Class of '86)

I remember the music videos, back when girls were cute and had some chub (and a helluva lot more clothes!)...Banarama, the Bangles, The Go-Gos...Pat Benatar...

...and I remember when country music went from twang to almost Pop...

...I liked Prince before he changed his name and was his purple highness, I liked Wham!, Boy George kept Max Factor in business, Hair bands...

Man, I could go on and on....

Heather, if you have another one of those parties, let me know...I think I'm starting withdrawals again!

Holy cow -- did we forget "The Love Boat"???? How could we leave out Captain Stubing and his daughter Vickie....Julie the Cruise director, Isac Washington, the bartender......and Gopher, also known as Fred Granger, who I believe went into politics! The Love Boat made me want to be a cruise director....and probably fostered my love for cruises (in case you didn't pick up on that from my wedding cruise in January and recent cruise to Bermuda :oops: )

As far as John Schneider from the Dukes of Hazzard, he has resurfaced on the WB show "Smallville", playing none other than Clark Kent's (a/k/a Superman's) Dad!!

Did anyone mention "Family Ties", "Who's the Boss" or "Growing Pains"?? I had SUCH a crush on Kirk Cameron....

Ah....the memories... :wink:

I couldn't resist....

OK everyone, here is an 80's Music Quiz......can you name the song? Bonus points if you can name the group too! (let me help you with number 1....it's Rick Sprinfield, "Jessie's Girl")

1. And she's lovin him with that body I just know it

2. I'm on the hunt, I'm after you

3. Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken?

4. Let me tell you 'bout the girl I met last night

5. Well I like takin off, don't like burnin out, every time you turn it

on, makes me wanna shout

6. Buying bread from a man in Brussels, he was 6 foot 4 and full a

muscles

7. With every breath I'm deeper into you

8. Distant eyes, losin ground I'm reachin for you, you, you

9. Music does the talkin, says the things you wanna hear

10. And I've never been a loser and I just can't lose tonight

11. I'm gonna buy me a one way ticket, nothin's gonna hold me back. Your

love's like a slow train comin and I can feel it comin down the track-

whoah

12. At this moment, you mean everything!

13. tried my imagination, but I was disturbed

14. Making love to you was never second best

15. I've got to, run away from the pain you drive into the heart of me

16. So wild, so free, So far from me. You're all I want, my fantasy

17. If you got the money honey we got your disease

18. And mama always told me be careful what you do, don't go around

breaking young girls' hearts

19. My baby may not be rich, he's watchin every dime

20. Take your-passion, and make it happen

21. I think they got the alias, that you been livin under

22. had a premonition that he shouldn't of gone alone

23. And when the night is cold and dark, you can't see you can't see light

24. Don't drink, Don't smoke, what do ya do?

25. Don't wanna be a girl like that, do you wanna see a grown man cry?

26. Somebodies callin after somebody, somebody turns the corner out of

sight. Lookin for somebody, somewhere in the night

27. A week without you, but I forget, two weeks without you and I still

haven't gotten over you yet

28. Strange voices are saying, ah what did they say? Things. I can't

understand

29. Been workin, so hard. I'm punchin, my card

30. I know just how to whisper, and I know Just how to cry

31. I was a high school loser never made it with a lady 'til the boys told

me somethin I missed

32. I knew right from the beginning, that you would end up winnin', I knew

right from the start, you'd put an arrow through my heart

33. You got to roll with the punches to get to what's real

34. Just a look at that girl with the lights comin up in her eyes

35. It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you, it's nothing that a

hundred men or more could ever do

36. And heart to heart you win, if ya survive

37. Play the guitar on the MTV

38. So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills, you know the one,

Dr. everything be all right

39. Tin roof...... Rusted

40. You're givin me the chills baby please baby don't

41. I knew he must a been about seventeen

42. With the touch of a velvet glove

43. It's just another Sunday, in a tired old street

44. Slight of hand and a twist of fate, on a bed of nails she makes me

wait

45. She's so fine, she's all mine, the girl is all right!

46. And your friends don't dance and if they don't dance well they're no

friends of mine

47. Your feet are going to be on the ground, your head is there to move

you around

48. Oceans apart, day after day, and I slowly go insane

49. Guess I should a known by the way you parked your car sideways that it

wouldn't last

50. You're all the things I've got to remember

51. I need some company, a guardian angel, to keep me warm when the cold

winds blow

52. Your very first kiss was your first kiss goodbye

53. So many times, it happens too fast, you trade your passion for glory

54. Nations go to war over women like you, it's just a form of

appreciation

55. Before I put another notch in my lipstick case You better make sure

you put me in my place!

56. You tell me that you want me, you tell me that you need me, you tell

me that you love me, and I know that I'm right cause I hear it in the

night.

57. I got a picture of you- ahh-ha-ahh-ha-ah-ah woh-oh-woh-oh

58. I, I was standing, you were there

59. Every claim you stake I'll be watching you

60. Shoot me like a rocket into space!

61. This is the world we live in, and these are the hands were given

62. Don't wish it away, don't look at it like this forever

63. And even though I wander, I'm keepin you in sight, you're a candle in

the wind on a cold dark winters night

64. If you say goodbye to me tonight, there will still be music left to

write

65. Oh yeah I, just wanna watch the girls go by

66. I'll be alone, dancin, you know it baby

67. And you may say to yourself, My god, what have I done?

68. Scratches his head and does his best James Dean

69. Oh thikin about all our younger years, it was only you and me, we were

young and wild and free

70. Like a knight in shining armor, from a long time ago

71. Stop walking down my street. Who do you expect to meet?

72. I've been meaning to tell you, I've got this feeling that won't

subside

73. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

74. I had a friend was a big baseball player, back in high

75. See yourself, give your freewill a chance, you've got to work to

succeed

76. One likes to believe in the freedom of music

77. Heirs of the cold war, tbat's what we've become. Inherited troubles,

I'm mentally numb.

78. Kid can't read at seventeen, the words he knows are all obscene but,

it's all right

79. Sailed away to China, in a little row boat to find ya, you said you