My Grandson Austin

Connie B

Hello Everyone!

Hope your all doing as well as can be expected. I wish you all well.

Now for an update on my wonderful little guy (grandson) Austin.

Well, he has his hearing device. It's about the size of a quarter and it attaches to the back of his head. With that, there are wires that are attached to a volume control panel. It's not as bad as it may sound, it's really rather small and fits in a little pack that he has on like a back pack only a front pack the size of a fanny pack. :roll:

They started his volume at a 1 and said my daughter could turn it up to a 2 or 3 over a period of days. BUT, no more then 3 at this time. This is a SLOW process and we MUST follow the rules. What he hears right now is mostly muffled sounds, but non the less, sounds. He does tend to look around at times but nothing to shocking for him. He did hear our dog bark, at least we think he did, because he turned and looked when our dog barked. When my daughter turned it up to 3 the other day, Austin got very agated and upset, so she turned it down to 2, and he seemed fine at that point. I would assume that not hearing anything for so long, and then all of a sudden there are NOISES, would be somewhat scary. So, hence the SLOW process. Like we say here on the board, BABY STEPS!!

But, all and all he is doing well with it at this time. I know the day will come when he can and will hear all of us talking and he will start to respond to our sounds, but for now, it's just soft sounds and nothing to harsh.

Again, I want to THANK YOU ALLLLLLLL for your very KIND LOVE AND SUPPORT! I'm sorry I didn't get to reply to you sooner, but as Donna G mentioned my puter was sick and I had to take it in and get it fixed. We're up and running again!

I wish us ALL WELL. And thank you all again. I will update you all from time to time on how he is doing.

Much Love, Support And Hugs,

Connie B.

Hey Connie.

How exciting it must be for Austin to start hearing things. And for the rest of your family as well! Have you played him classical music yet? Hope you have been well. I heard you were going to phone me if I didn't show up soon. Take care.

David

Connie, I am so glad that everything went well. Its true, I can't imagine from going to silence to, like, hearing my husband SNORE! It must be so strange. Hopefully, soon, he will adjust and you will find the right 'notch'. Until then, know I am celebrating with you. Take care, Deb

Connie,

This is great! I feel a little out of it, this is the first Im hearing of your little guy having a hearing problem!?? Have you posted about it before, I must have missed it, Anyway... Thats great to know! Keep us posted on his progress!!!

Jamie

Hi Connie,,,, Such wonderful news!!!!! I am new here and am trying to get to know everyone. I really feel we are fortunate to live in an age of cutting edge medical procedures, that certainly can change lives for the better!! Prayers to you, your precious grandson, and his family!!!

Peace,, Annjael

Connie,

I am so excited for your grandson. This is a real adventure for him. He may be confused for a time but it is a miracle that he can hear at all. The little fellow is so precious and this is a big step. Like you said, Baby steps...but remember how excited he was when he took his first step? This must be 100 times more exciting than that.

Nina

That is SO exciting. It's so good to hear great news like this -- and to know that things for Austin will keep getting better and better. As Ginny said, what a time we live in where miracles like this can happen. Keep us posted, baby step by baby step!

Ellen