Victory in the Face of Defeat

Mary

My sister's cancer has spread. It has engulfed her right kidney and her ovary. This news should be devastating and it is because it signals rapid disease progression and limited time. However, since spending most of my time at the hospital this past 5 days, I've come away in awe of my sister. She redefiness the word strong. Her courage and spirit and the person that she is will never be defeated by this cancer! Her ability to smile and confort her boys while suffering excriating pain is something to behold. Her intelligence and sense of humor shines through even though she's doped up. My neice came up from SC and was visiting my sister while I was there. My neice asked how she was doing. My sister responded that she had heard that morphine can give a person some pretty vivid dreams. She was relating how she was doubtful until she saw the rainbow colored mouse running up and down the foot of the bed. So even though she is very sick and high on drugs she realizes what other people need during a time of great sadness and tries to make us laugh.

I also take confort in what decent good people my siblings are. We may not agree about everything but when the going gets tough we get the job done. Her husband doesn't want her to pass at home because he thinks it would be too difficult for her boys. However, any of her sisters will take her in for hospice care. Heck, even my macho brother went out last night and bought some stayfree pads for her. He said it was the first time he has ever had to buy them even though he has a wife and teenage daughter. My sister said get over it and he did.

My sister and I were talking about what is on the other side. My sister is a geophysicist and, thus, very scientific and somewhat of a perfectionist. She recounted how my mom who had great faith questioned heaven at the time of her death. If you had known my mom, you would understand what a wonderful person she was. My mom was not questioning whether there was a heaven but whether she would get in. We decided that if mom didn't get admission then(which is laughable because no one was more deserving), then it wasn't a worthwhile place anyway. We agreed that she is going to give me a sign like flickering lights, etc. to let me know its a O.K. place and mom's there.

Sorry the post is so long, but I guess my point is this: I have been blessed to have people like my mom and my sister in my life even if their time here was shorter than most other peoples. My sister will start Iressa today and have radiation to her kidney. So just maybe I can have more time with my very special sister.

Keeping the Faith,

Mary

Mary-

I am trying to write you a message through tears. What a beautiful sister you are, and please do not give up hope. You never know...GOD Performs miracles, but I respect how strong you are in not letting the difficult situation drag you down to the point of no return. I wish I could be like that. I will continue to pray for sister.

I pray to have a miracle happen for you and your sister.

Rana

Mary never give up the hope, do all you can for your loved one. Cancer is aggressive so you have to be aggressive too! Throw everything at it, including the kitchen sink. Maybe even try alternative suplements. If anything, the patient may think something is being done and may even feel better and get better. My dad has been on these kind of treatments for the last 2 months and he is still pretty much the same. All I can say is try something new, if the previous thing failed. I wish you the best

Mary, what a great lady your sister is! You have painted a vivid picture of her, and I hope you are sharing these same thoughts with her. How wonderful that you had a mother and have a sister that you admire so. I would guess you are from that same fabric! I hope whatever time your sister has, that you all enjoy it and make it something to remember and to celebrate. And, as people here have said, we don't know how much time any of us has. We are just called upon to make the best of what we get. Sounds like you and your sister are doing that. And that's what counts. Blessings. Don

Mary -

I'm not sure who I admire more - you or your sister.

Your description of her is so eloquent and loving. And wonderfully un-selfish too! That you can talk to her about these things so comfortably is a credit to both of you!

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Mary,

I am in awe of your sister's courage and sensitivity and thank you so much for sharing that part of her with all of us. I pray that something miraculous happens to rid her of this dreadful disease so that she may be here for you and for her family for many years.

Blessings to you both,

Peg

Mary

You wrote one of the most awe inspiring posts I have ever read. Beautiful words about your mother and sister. And, like Don said, I'm sure you are cut from the same fabric.

I pray I can be as strong as your sister if this cancer returns to me.

My thoughts and prayers are with your entire family.

Good Luck and God Bless

Mary, what can I say except "WOW"...your sister sounds like good people, as do you and your family. I am so sorry for this turn in her health...I wish I knew what to say...like Katie said, thank you for the honour of letting us know your sister and you. Her remarkable attitude and personality are amazing...Your sister and her boys, as we as you and your family, are in my thoughts and prayers, take care, Deb