No scans only x rays

Shirl

Hi to everyone on this wonderful and supportive website, I wonder if someone could answer my question please

I have noticed that nearly all of you have PET CT or MRI scans when you have your check ups. I had surgery 8 weeks ago and went for my first check up with the surgeon last week.

He took an x ray we chatted about how I felt and then he said he would see me in 3 months. Now don't get me wrong, this is wonderful news for me but when he said he will see me in January and I replied "with my first scan" he emphatically said NO SCANS - my treatment will consist of an x ray every 3 months for the first year then still more x rays every six months after that.

I don't understand how he can detect if it has spread to other parts of my body if I just have x rays. I'm confused.

What do you think?

Many thanks

Shirl (UK)

Shirl-

I would suggest that you get a second opinion regarding what constitutes appropriate follow-up after surgery. I am working with an oncologist who has planned CT scans every 3 mos. for the first 3 years, then CTs every 6 mos. for the next 2 years, then yearly CTs thereafter, barring anything untoward. I'm 2.5+ years out from surgery and she has also ordered 2 bone scans, a PET scan, and an MRI along the way to make certain that all is trundling along OK. This crap is treacherous and I feel we can't be toooooo diligent. Good luck.

Shirl,

I only get chest xrays and blood work every 3 months. I have had a brain MRI since I had headaches to rule out brain mets, and a bone scan to rule out bone mets but as a rule, do not have these tests on a schedule. The only PET I had was almost 2 years ago when my nodule was found.

My Onc has told me I only have to come every 6 months now but I don't feel comfortable with that and go to my regular doctor in between for an xray (or CT scan if I can talk him into it). Originally I was told by my Surgeon I needed every 3 months for 3 years, and then every 6 months.

I think you will get all different answers on here to be honest. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor, I would advise to get the 2nd opinion and to go with what feels right for you.

Good luck to you...

I too am getting chest x-rays every 3 months for the first two years post surgery, and then annually with my surgeon forever. I see the oncologist every 6 months, at least right now. I think if everything keeps going well, that will go to an annual visit too. I'll just schedule the surgeon and the onc so that I don't go any longer than 6 months without seeing someone, if that's what happens.

You'll hear a lot of different follow-up plans here--I think there's a lot of variety in treatments and a lot of controversy regarding follow-up exams. I feel comfortable because my surgeon is the person who examins my x-ray, and they can all be lined up next to each other, so any minute change should be easily detectable.

If you aren't comfortable with your follow-up care, why not ask about CT scans and see what they have to say??? Maybe they'll ok them for you.

Cindy

As my sister would say, "That ain't right."

Let's see... if I can remember all of this, '

Initially, I had a biopsy using guided imagery.

A chest, abdomen, pelvis CT with contrast

A PET scan

A bone scan

A brain MRI

All of the above were for diagnostic and staging purposes to properly treatment plan for elimination of disease.

At the end of the radiation, another PET and a CT to determine resolution of disease and to see if we were on the right track.

Another PET/CT at the end of chemo for restaging

The oncologist at the time treatment planned follow up CT every 3 months and PET every 6 months along with a PET.

The oncologist I have now wants chest, abdomen, pelvis CT every 3 months.

Good luck to you. (If the cancer don't kill me, the radiation will :roll: )

Cindi o'h

Welcome to the board. Even being stage 1A, I have had CAT scans continuously since my lobectomy 3 1/2 years ago. I know for a year or two I was either having a CAT scan or an xray when I visited. I am now getting scans every 6 months. The onc is still seeing me every 3-4 months. The surgwon is once a year, with an xray.

Keep asking questions

gail

I only had one ct scan since my surgery. I am a 3+ year survivor. I did have chest xrays every 3 months for 2 years and now I have one every 6 months. I also have blood work done at my oncologist's office. So far so good for me. I think that there is a lot of controversy between doctors on this issue because the ct scan for one uses somewhat more powerful radiation, which maybe harmful in itself. I don't know anything about the pet scan or what the level of radiation if any is used it that scan. Just my thoughts on it. My best to you. Nancy O.

Thank you all so very much for answering my question

It was interesting to see the different follow up procedures everyone has had. After reading them all I think I will go with what all of you said in one way or another - to ask more questions and if not satisfied take it further to push for scans. I am waiting for an appointment with an onc to discuss the possibility of 4 rounds of chemo as an adjuvant therapy so I will discuss it with him

God Bless you All

Shirl