CALLING ALL LC SURVIVORS!!!

Connie B

Congratulations NED and BOBBIE!!!!! HOORAY for you BOTH!!!

I sure hope we hear from OTHER Lung Cancer Survivors. Some of our LC Buddies have been missing for a while. Maybe this message will bring them out or encourage them to post a message. It sure would be nice to hear from all of you LC SURVIVORS!!!!!!!! Come out Come out WHEREEVER YOU ARE!!! :D

WHOOOOO Lisa! Boy, do I ever remember when I didn't think I would be here 3 months after I was dx.d :roll: but look at me NOW!!

CONGRATULATIONS on 6 MONTHS! Your a SURVIVOR!! HOORAY!!!

((((((((((((((((((((((LISA)))))))))))))))))))))

We put a LOT of hard work into being a SURVIVOR! :wink: I know Tarceva has worked WONDERS for MANY of my friends, I'll keep thinking POSITIVE that it's the magic BULLET for you too! You Go Girl!!!!

You'll still be here 13 years from now talking about your Survivor Journey just like I am. :wink::D Go Celebrate!

I have been cancer free since the end of April,2007 when my upper RH lobe of my lung was removed, after that 3 months of chemo ( once every three weeks x4 ). I was 47 at the time of the discovery, never smoked. My cancer was found during a routine chest X-ray. It was found very early.

tim

Hey Tim, Congratulations on being a LC Survivor! :D Sorry you had to join our group, but I'm very glad you found us. Also, welcome to the best Lung Cancer Support Board around! :wink: I hope you'll stick around with us and let us get to know you, and you get to know us. It sure makes this journey easier to go through knowing others totally understand where your coming from. We're a very supportive, caring group of people!

WELCOME!!!!!!

Hey Wendy,

That's a good idea to UPDATE our Survivor dates! Congratulations my friend! You've worked VERY HARD to get where you are today and BOY AM I GLAD YOU DID!!! :wink: ((Wendy))

I am now a 13 year 2 month LC SURVIVOR of stage IIIB Adenocarcinoma!

HOORAY FOR US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heres my update:

On September 29th, I will be a 2 year survivor!!! And I was told only 1 year tops!!! Guess the cancer didn't realize who it was messing with!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Congrats to all those who have survived this damn disease and doing so well!!! I wish the best for us all!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Happy Happy One Year Sandra! I know it's not been an easy year for you, but I have to say, I sure am HAPPY to see you here! :wink: ((((Sandra)))) It's a bumpy ride but you can do it, and we'll all help you the best we can!

Happy Happy 2 Years (Coming) Patti!! Goes to show you they don't know what the heck they're talking about. :roll::wink: Keep on Keepin On!! We have a slight deep in the road ahead but we'll get past it and then it will be clear sailing!!!! ((((PATTI)))))

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm new to this site and saw your request for lung cancer survivors to share their stories, so here goes.

In Dec. 1998, I was diagnosed with lung cancer in my left lung. Treatment was chemo (Taxol and Carboplatin) a treatment every 3 weeks for 3 treatments and 6 weeks of radiation. Treatment was based on possiblity of cancer in the plueral wall as well as left lung and they wanted to reduce the size if that was the case. I finished the treatments in January, 1999 and was scheduled for surgery but had to wait because of low white cell count. Had surgery March 3, 1999 and had 1/5th to 1/4 th of my left lung removed. Surgeon said he got it all and stated that my chance of getting cancer again was no more than anyone else.

In October 2001, my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer and told that it had progressed so much that surgery was not an option. He was told that he could live for approximately a year, but he got pneumonia and died 6 weeks later.

The first of April 2004, I had severe stomach pains and my doctor decided to do a ctscan of my abdomen. I suggested that we might as well do one of my chest at the same time since I had not had one done on my chest for a couple of years. I still do not know why I had the stomach pains, but know that God works in mysterious ways. The ctscan of my chest showed a small mass on my right lung. A needle biopsy was done and was inconclusive. I had to wait a month for a petscan which showed "activity" in the upper lobe of the right lung and in the hylar node. At the end of May 2004, I had surgery to remove the upper lobe of my right lung. My doctor told me that this was a completely new cancer not related to the previous one at all but a new primary. I contracted double pneumonia while still in the hospital and ended up on a ventilator for 5 days, but recovered and after 24 days in the hospital was released. I stayed with my sister who cared for me and helped me to recuperate. In August 2004, I had another petscan as a follow up and it showed "activity" still in the hylar node. My oncologist said that this might be a result of the surgery (my surgeon had checked the hylar node when he removed the upper lobe), but that he didn't think we should take that chance. He suggested chemotherapy (gemcitabine and taxatere) which was administered 1 time per week for 3 weeks, then off a week, then another 3 weeks on, etc. for 6 months. I lost my hair again, but that is such a small thing in comparison to the larger picture that I was not affected by loss of hair. I bought a beautiful auburn wig (the color my hair had been when I was younger), which caused my sister to comment, "You look just like you did 20 years ago." I don't know what I would have done without her. She is a great sister.

As a result of the chemo, I ended up on oxygen 24 hours per day toward the end of the 6 months. I had pneumonia again after finishing chemo and then a month later I had pneumonia again. I decided that I would not be on oxygen 24 hourse per day for the rest of my life and worked to build my lungs back up so I could get off of it, which I did about 8 months later.

I have been cancer "free" now for over 4 years and remarried a year and a half ago to a wonderful man who lost his wife to lung cancer. We enjoy life together and make each day count. He was an avid golfer and at 70 years of age, I started learning to play golf. I enjoy playing and we play 3 or 4 times per week.

There is life after lung cancer, but you have to think positive, have faith that you will survive, and be determined to live a normal life and not dwell on the past.

If I give hope to even one person, I will be happy for hope is the first step to recovery.

When I was dx last Sept/Oct, I wondered if I would survive longer than my Mom did 25 years ago. She suffered two months and was gone. I did not even have surgery until two months out. I put my affairs in order prior to surgery...and then wondered if I would see the inauguration of Barack H Obama. I did! That was a good survival.

And since this is my best week of the chemo cycle, it seems possible that I will be cured. Just don't ask me a week from Wednesday, when the anti nausea drugs taper off and the fatigue increases to the point that I can't focus on anything but the fact that I am being poisoned in order to be cured!

Welcome mwga and ts!

Thanks so much for sharing your stories. It's always good for survivors to hear from other survivors, as it is good for caregivers to hear as well.

It always offers hope to those just strating out.

I hope you'll both stick around and let us get to know your and you get to know all of us. This is a great place to connect with those that understand what your going through.

Again, WELCOME! When you have time, feel free to read over my story below.

I'm a 13 + year survivor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello McBride! Welcome to LCSC and CONGRATULATIONS on being a 4 Year Survivor! As well as a 1.8 year Survivor! :D:D:D:D:D

This is Happy Dance News. We like to do the Happy Dance with other Survivors! :wink:

I hope you'll stay with us and share your journey with us. I look forward to getting to know you. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Way to Go!

Thank You Connie for the warm welcome! I have one post on page 2 under Rose1953 posted on Nov 14, 2007.

This system won't let me use that name/login any more so I had to create a new one that I can remember It even wouldn't let me use my other e-mail addy, so this is an all new thing. And I tell you, I got "cancer brain". My memory is like an all-day watering hose..........full of holes. However, I am so very happy to see many of the others still posting!! Way to go for us survivors.

Hope that the system will let me post for a while now :D since I do like these message boards.

Hugs,

Rose

• 2 months later...

I'm mostly one of the "lurkers", and am still awaiting my first scan results since end of treatment (won't know anything until May 12), but am so happy to see so many more survivors than I thought were here --- made my day. Thank you.

Diane

Medford, Oregon