News from scan doesn't sound good.......

Angie Daughter of Bill

As you know, I took Dad to get a bone scan today due to pain in his back. While he was getting scanned, the x-ray tech called up to the doctor's office to get an order for an x-ray. When we asked why, she said, "There is a place on your pelvis that doesn't look good at all. I thought the doctor would like to have an x-ray also." Well, that sure doesn't sound good to me. Dad has had a TON of scans and NEVER have they called to get an order for something else while he was there. (even on scans when things showed up) We also left with orders for Dad not to pick up anything heavy, no pulling and tugging on heavy things, etc. That SURE doesn't sound good! Did they tell him that because his pelvic bone is unstable right now? UGGGGGGHHHHH! I hate the waiting. I will be calling tomorrow to see if the doctor has looked at the scan and if there is a plan in place as to what we are going to do. I suspect that he is in for some radiation. I also suspect that he will have to come off of the Iressa and start traditional chemo again. (if he chooses to do that) Is it possible that the cancer in his pelvic bone has advanced too far for radiation to help him? Does that happen? Oh the thoughts that are running through my head..........

On the way home Dad was very down. He said that he "has probably seen his better days" and that "his time was drawing near, he could feel it". I wanted to cry, but I didn't. That was HIS time to talk about HIS feelings. He didn't need to be worried about me being upset. After I got home, I did have a good cry. It helped a lot. Now I just want to know what we need to do. I want a game plan right now. I'm ready to fight!!

On a happier note, while Dad was getting his scan, I was as cool as a cucumber. There is no doubt that the reason I was so calm is because of your many prayers! I thank you for that. What would I do without you all? Now, may I have a few more prayers of strength to get through whatever comes next? Also, prayers for my Dad for pain relief and strength to get through whatever comes his way. Love to you all!!

Angie

Angie,

Shhhh....calm down...

Things were not "normal" with your trip today. It could be you had a flighty tech - after all, doesn't sound like she responded to you in a "professional" manner and allowed your mind to travel down Worst Case Scenario Road...

Dad was sent home with PRECAUTIONARY information. He MAY have something wrong with his pelvic bone, the bone MAY be weak - better to be safe than sorry.

Wait for an appointment with your oncologist for a subdued panic.

...and an ounce or so of strength to you!

xxoo,

Becky

well, on the other hand, I was going to say it sounds like you had a very thorough tech who thought to get something checked closer.

In any event, I suspect you are afraid and down because of your father's down feelings.

Hang tight. I think things always seem bad at the beginning but somehow seem to come together. Hopefully this is the case here.

Please keep us posted and we will continue our prayers!

Karen C.

Angie, I sure do feel for you right now... we can get so shook up at anything out of the ordinary. Even a percieved "look" from some doctor, nurse, or tech will get me "going" when it has to do with LC. It is all part of the illness, whether we are the one with the disease or a loving family member.

Shoot. I know as a patient what I would do under your Dad's circumstance... I think that family should have the same access to the anxiety medications that we have. These situations produce the same uncontrollable, and unhealthy chemicals of fear that run through our bodies.

Angie, very happy to say prayers for your family. Take care, God Bless.

Cindi o'h

Angie,

I am wishing good news for your wonderful dad. Let's hope its arthritis or some other thing going on with the bone there. I know when John had his scan there was a spot they were worried about on his rib but it was just an old injury that showed up. So I am hoping for an old wound or something.

I think your response to your dad needing to talk was perfect...just listen. Hang in there and let us know when you know!

Rochelle

Angie, you are good support for your dad. The docs are probably more thorough about the pelvis because it could stress fracture, especially if there is a tumor there. Lucie had a bone met on her pelvis and it did cause a stress fracture. Luckily, it did not impair her while the radiation took care of the tumor and the fracture healed. Prayers as requested. Don

When I read your letter; it was like "Hey someone else is copying me".

I had a bone scan today for pain in the lower back. About 25 years ago, I hurt my back and every so often it acts up if I lift something too heavy or the wrong way. This has been going on for about 3 weeks (not unusual for my back problem) and it has really had me worried. I told the doctor about it week before last and he said if it kept up to call him last week. I put it off until this week. I asked the technicians if they would tell me anything but they wouldn't. Most of the pain is on the left side and i did have some places on my left hip when I started out with this mess. I know how your pop feels. I hope the BEST for the BOTH of us.

And to top it off, today is my birthday. What a present. If the scan turns out o.k. than that would be the best present in the world. Marion

Angie,

As hard as that car ride was when you Dad was saying how he was feeling... You did the right thing. He needs to be able to express his feelings (right or wrong) they are his thoughts and feelings. I am so glad you were able to handle that. It is so tough to hear someone we love talk like that. My prayers are for your Dad and for all of his family in that you will be able to handle what ever you need to.

God Bless you all,

Jane

Angie,

Gee, I bet that scared your dad to have extra xrays ordered. Anything out of the ordinary or unexpected scares me too. You handled it like a real trooper. You were there for your dad and let him be honest about the way he is feeling. I hope it is something like arthritis or something that can be cleared up with xray. You have so much on you right now and you are doing just great with all of it. I admire you very much. I hope you hear from the docs soon. The waiting is often the worst part...I hope that is the case this time.

Nina

(((((((Angie)))))))) I am familiar with those feelings. Just try to hang in there and be as positive as possible for your dad. Then when you have the facts,,,,you can figure out the plan of attack. I think you showed tremendous courageand love, letting your dad speak freely to you. My continuing prayers for you and your dad, to give you both strength in this battle.

Peace and blessings,

Annjael

Angie,

I just hated the car ride home after my mom's appt. when the doctor didn't have the heart (God Bless her) to tell her it was back, and I ended up telling her when we got to the car. That was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. Be there for your dad with encouragement , and open arms to fall in. Men have such a hard time letting their feelings out. Me and mom both had a good cry together and then we bucked up and got to work. I hope and pray that they can get things turned around for your dad, and besides, it may be nothing. You never know!! :D Prayer for you both,