So Very New

sheryl

My name is Sheryl and my husband is a heart transplant patient. 5 years post transplant. Three years ago he was diagnosed with nsclc rt lung had lobectomy with no treatment to follow. One year later he was diagnosed same thing but the left lung w/metas to brain and spine. 6 months of taxol and carbo and 21 days of radiation to be given news he was cancer free. August this pain started in his rt leg and the cancer was back. Multiple areas, femurs, spine, shoulders. 3 months of Taxol/carbo and 10 radiation treatments to find out Tuesday that it is not responding and has spread to his liver.. I'm looking for support, info, anyone in a similar situation that can give me anything I would so much love to talk to all of you. This seems like a fantastic place to start.. My husband and i have been together since we were 19 and we are now 42 we have two boys ages 21 and 16. They are so full of questions and I wish I new all the answers. Just looking for some sunshine..... SHERYL in WA

HI Sheryl. Welcome. Just 2 yrs after a heart transplant he got lung cancer? Boy, I would have guessed that he had every test imaginable before the transplant and he must have passed. The first time he had surgery , they did not recommend chemo? How is he doing with the mets, has the chemo and radiation shrunk them? Please keep us posted. Donna G

Gosh my heart breaks at the pain your posts shows. Although I am not a patient, I am/was a caregiver 3 times now. Mom had NSCLC. I lost her August of 2003. Dad had SCLC, I lost him June of this year (2004) and now my sister is battling breast cancer. She started chemo this week.

All I can tell you is that the beginning of this journey is absolutely the worst time of your life. will it get better. NO, will it get bearable, a little bit, but no matter what, you come out the other side of this a different person, stronger, smarter and with more empathy than anyone you know.

all my prayers to you.

Hi, Sheryl, and welcome to our little family here. I did not have a heart transplant, but I had bypass surgery 7 years ago. Also a 9-yr. survivor of prostate cancer, two bouts. My wife is the survivor with the lung cancer. She was diagnosed 25 months ago with NSCLC, Stage IV, with mets to the bones. She was given 9 months with treatment, and is still here, battling the beast. Let us know how we may help you as you go along this journey. Blessings. Don

Sheryl,Welcome to our family.Sorry you have such a full plate right now.Your husband must be afighter to survive the transplant & that will be essential on this journey as well.You will find lots of knowing and caring people here.No matter what comes up one of us has usually been there.Please keep us informed and let us know how we may help.

Welcome Sheryl,

Sounds like you and your family have already been through more than your fair share of troubles. Wish we could offer a cure, we can't, but we can offer a wealth of information and support for you all. This sight will come in handy for all of you, make sure your boys know where to log on to find answers to their questions. I have 3 sons, aren't they great?!

Good luck and prayers to you all

Kathy

Hi Sheryl and WELCOME!

Wow, your family has been fighting a variety of battles for quite a long time, haven't they? I'm sorry to hear your husband is having new problems now. I sure hope you and your husband were given a new plan of attack on Tuesday when you got this news! If not, maybe you should run to a different doctor for a second opinion as fast as possible.

Cancer can get pretty widespread and still get a BIG SURPRISE with a variety of treatments. Check out my husband's profile below, as well as many others here, and you will see what I mean.

Let us know what the new plan is.

Prayers are going up for you, your husband and sons.

Love,

Peggy