Swallowing problems

Tammy

My Mom has been doing well for the past year with having Stage 3B. At the begining she did several rounds of Chemo and had radiation. The cancer then spread to her adrenal gland and more radiation was done. All her CT scans have been coming up good. She has been on Iressa for about 6-7 months and that has kept everything under control. She has been having problems swallowing for the past 2-3 months. There are times when she can eat an do well and other times she said it just feels like the food gets caught and she will cough and sometimes vomit. She talked to her Onc Dr and he gave her Acid Reflux pills to try and if that didn't help he would do the scope down her throat. Has anyone had this problem? I know after radiation she has a rough time swallowing but that healed and she did well till all of a sudden. I am very nervous that the cancer has spread to her throat. She is waiting to talk with the Dr at her next visit in Dec but when dealing with Cancer that to me is not soon enough. Any advise or knowlege would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tammy

Tammy,

I had radiation over a year ago. Many things have gotten better, no pain when I swallow and the like...

BUT...

Every now and then, my throat seems to have a little bit of a convulsion and does its own little thing. If I'm swallowing, I about drown....if I'm breathing, I start hacking...

This does not happen a lot, when you consider how many times I breathe and swallow a day - sometimes are just more memorable than others. The last time it happened (two weeks ago), I was driving. I started choking and my eyes teared up and I couldn't see...a nightmare...that got worse, but that's kinda yucky so I won't share...

Could be acid reflux, but ask her if she's bringing up any acid.... I don't.

Take care,

Becky

There is also a thing called Radiation Recall which is what I had several months after my throat healed. I think mine lasted a month or two and I honestly felt like I had just received radiation again. It does not happen very often but it can happen. I also on advice from onc switch to taking both of my aciphex at night just before bed instead of one every 12 hours. Has helped alot since as he explained you can have the reflux without the burning sensation thus leading to sore throat. Has worked for me.

God Bless

Don

My mom had that problem too. They scoped her and it helped some, but if you are uncomfortable waiting till Dec., call and go see her onc. doc. My mom's doc. told her to let them know if these things weren't working. I'd rather bother the doc. about it than sit and wonder for another month! :D At least for both of your peace of mind.

Tammy,

This was the one things my Dad complained most about even long after radiation! He would vomit often because of this. And they could never find the problem. I would say it was the thing that frustrated him the most because everyone kept telling him that maybe it was in his head. After many tests because of his complaint, the cancer spreading to his throat was NOT the diagnosis. I know what you're going through and to ease your mind, see if you can get that apointment bumped up. But it sure does sound like lots of people have had this issue.....

Good luck,

Kris

Tammy,

This was the one things my Dad complained most about even long after radiation! He would vomit often because of this. And they could never find the problem. I would say it was the thing that frustrated him the most because everyone kept telling him that maybe it was in his head. After many tests because of his complaint, the cancer spreading to his throat was NOT the diagnosis. I know what you're going through and to ease your mind, see if you can get that apointment bumped up. But it sure does sound like lots of people have had this issue.....

Good luck,

Kris

I stopped radiation on 08/12/04. I still have major problems. I was scoped two weeks ago and they found 2 ulcers (caused by radiation) and they stretched my esophagus 45%, that means I'm still obstructed 55%.

It is a real pain in the butt! Sometimes I can eat most things then other times only liquids.

From the responses it's gonna last a long time!

My mom as been experiencing this same thing. They are going to

do the scope thingy, but I can pretty much guess from all the posts here

that nothing will be found. I wouldcertainly call and get that appointment

moved up though, no sense in worrying yourself.

Mom also thought maybe it was just "in her mind" but after almost choking this morning on softly scrambled eggs, I dont think so.

Hopefully this issue will ease up some on everyone.

KIm

I finished my treatments in August of 2003. I still get choked some for what seems to be no reason. I often swallow and it goes down the wrong way or gag on a simple pill. Sometimes I choke in my sleep ...wake up coughing my head off over my own saliva. I figure it is from the radiation but have not asked the doctor about it.

Nina

Thanks so much for all your replies. Sounds like this is pretty normal after radiation. I guess its been about a year since Mom had radiation done on her chest area then about 4 months maybe on the adrenal gland. I know that she is putting it off because she has gotten good news and is afraid to hear bad. I will make sure I tell her that so many of you experience the same thing. This might sound weird but she sneezes alot and belches quit often does anyone else?

Tammy,

I had problems with swallowing liquids for about a year and a half, had to take small mouthfuls of soft stuff. Also had prilosec for almost 2 years daily to preclude reflux problems.

It all sorted itself out eventually but it took almost 2 years altogether, metal tasting food and all.

Good luck to your mom.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Prayers always