Metallic taste

SBeth

One of the expected side effects from Bill's chemo was the metallic taste in foods. It has recently gotten much worse and he says that lately he feels like he can even taste metal on his teeth. He's tried switching to plastic utensils, but it hasn't helped. He has noticed that foods with a tomato base and higher in sodium don't seem to have the metallic taste. That may not mean much, but we were wondering if anyone else has any suggestions or possibly a mineral or vitamin supplement that would decrease the taste of metal. Just pulling at strings here, but looking for feedback or other experiences.

Thanks.

After carbo and taxo I couldn't taste much of anything. The chemo did give a metalic or some odd indescribable taste in my mouth. I could taste more of sugar and salt than anything. Ate because my body needed it but didn't really enjoy the food. Chemo ended in Dec. 2004 but still haven't fully gotten back my taste buds. At least I can taste stuff now to a greater degree. I make myself lemon pie cause it is tart. Seems like each one has a slightly different experience. I have a number of food allergies so can't eat some stuff that I might could taste like jalapenos and chilis. So good luck on trying different food items. pammie

I don't think I can help too much on what to do but I think it's pretty common. I had it with my chemo as well and then had it again when I went through another chemo with my radiation. Everything tasted like metal. Gross!

I remember I couldn't stand the taste of a spoon or a fork in my mouth.. it felt like I was eatting a tin can... so I switched to a plastic one which I couldn't stand either.. the plastic feeling. wow! so for a while I just ate finger foods till I found a ceramic spoon. It was way too big to use to eat with but I did it anyway. I probably looked pretty goofing using this giant serving spoon to eat with. But it helped so who cares. I think I just eventually "got over it" I finished with the treatment and things slowly went back to normal. At least he can take heart knowing it won't last forever.

I'd try different foods to see what tastes best just remember ... like mrs. Claus said to Santa Claus in the movie Rudolf the red nose reindeer... "Eat, Eat... E A T!!!

Beth,

I know the metallic taste was a big problem my dad always complained about when he was eating. My dad's oncologist recommended zinc supplements. After taking them for a short time he said that it seemed to help with the metallic taste in foods and everything seemed to taste better. You may want to check with Bill's dr. and see if they recommend him trying this supplement.

Diane

I have found that hard candy (especially lemon drops or Lifesaver Sorbets) helped. Also plain water did not taste good at all and putting some lemon or lime in it or Gatorade Propel Fitness water also tastes better than plain water and helped me drink enough to keep hydrated. As far as food goes, it really varies from day-to-day and you just have to be willing to go with the flow.

My cure-all answer to this is usually popsicles! They helped me tremendously, and are also a good source of fluids. Also, fresh pineapple really freshens the inside of the mouth, believe it or not. Fresh - not canned. There is a big difference. Lemon drops are good too.

Hope you find something that works.

Di

Like anything else, you can get used to it.

Doesn't make eating a sensational experience, but you eat to eat because you have to.

It WILL go away.. eventually,.. just like most of the other artifacts of chemo.

If the doctor okays the zinc supplements, try that. Try the other suggestions.

I just put up with it, 'cause it wasn't forever.

Good luck.

XOXOXO

Prayers,

MaryAnn

Hey Beth...I found ice cream still tasted good. My husband would make me smoothies. One that was especially good and really cut that taste in my mouth was cherry-limeade juice (Minute Maid) mixed w/vanilla ice cream and ice. Other than that, there wasn't much. I tried brushing my teeth w/all sorts of concoctions and it didn't help, mostly just time. It WILL go away as the chemo wears off.

Kathy - the same thing happened to me for a while! Life without chocolate? Aaarrggghhh!!! Thankfully, things returned to normal! A good friend sent me chocolates from Belgium, and I had to give them to the people I work with, because they tasted so bad to me then. :x

Mashed potatoes, bland chicken, mac & cheese -- that's the kind of stuff I lived on for weeks!

Di