NO CHEMO AGAIN FOR DAVE

Remembering Dave

I'm really disappointed and worried. Dave went for in for chemo today and his plateletts were only 78,000 so they didn't give him treatment. he didn't have chemo last week because they were 70,000. This was supposed to be the fifth week of chemo and so far he's only had two treatments. I have a call in to the oncologist because we have to do SOMETHING. Just sitting around and waiting is not going to kill this beast. I did some research and you have to be down to 20,000 to get a bone marrow transplant, from what I read, but I wonder what else we can do?

I have a call into the oncologist. his nurse just called - I told her, I want to talk to the doc - I cannot just sit around and watch my husband die while we wait for his plateletts to come up. so she's going to have him call me.

Karen

Karen,

A special prayer for David.

Dear Lord,

We lift up David Chapman to you for complete healing and

cure from this dreadful disease. By your stripes he is

healed and we claim this healing. For through you all

things are possible. Lord we give you all the glory.

All things are possible.

Thank You!!! We pray and ask this in Jesus name...

AMEN

Karen,

Can't the Dr. order anything for that. I remember when I was taking chemo my platlet counts were low. My oncologist gave me a shot a couple of times to help bring my count back up. There were also several times they did nothing. I think it is very wise of you to put a call in to talk with the doctor.

Best Wishes,

Dee

Karen - THANK YOU.

Dee - nothing you can do for plateletts except a bone marrow transplant if it gets really low. the shot is for your red blood count. that's either procrit or aransep. sure wish there was a shot.

I talked to the onco doc. I begged him to try to think of something, if we just sat and waited week after week for Dave's plateletts to come back up he was going to die and I was not going to sit back and wait for him to die. He promised to sit down with Dave's chart tonight and try to come up with a plan. maybe he'll look at the list of clinical trials I faxed him two weeks ago. but he said it was the first he'd heard of today's failed chemo attempt, he's working in another office today. so at least I brought this to the forefront of his attention. otherwise, he might not know about it until later in the week at best.

Karen

Karen,

I'm going to try to call you, but here's some interesting reading:

http://www.guidelines.gov/summary/summa ... 2Bleukemia

I quote from the above site:

BENEFITS/HARMS OF IMPLEMENTING THE GUIDELINE RECOMMENDATIONS

POTENTIAL BENEFITS

Decreased morbidity associated with intensive therapies producing severe and sustained thrombocytopenia.

Decreased deaths from hemorrhage.

Subgroups Most Likely to Benefit:

Patients with hematologic and solid tumor malignancies undergoing aggressive treatment.

Patients with solid tumor malignancies and poor performance status or physiologic reserve as well as those with limited access to health care facilities during thrombocytopenia that is expected to be profound and prolonged.

POTENTIAL HARMS

Febrile or allergic transfusion reactions

Transmission of bacterial and viral infections

Circulatory congestion

Transfusion-related acute lung injury

Alloimmunization

thanks, gals. Not hitting the panic button yet, but at this point in Dave's illness we can't afford to sit and wait out ANYTHING.

Anyway - Fay, this last link is pretty cool, I like a nice simple "how to read your lab report" thing like this but it's obviously for HIV patients which is OK, would be nice to find one like this geared to cancer patients but this one works really well and I did bookmark it.

Anyway, I faxed a note to the doctor saying "platelet transfusion? any reason why not" sort of thing. we'll see what he says. Dave is supposed to go in tomorrow for his zometa (the bone building IV) so hopefully we'll have some answers.

Karen

Karen i just said a prayer for David and his onocologist. Karen i was told one time that once the chemo has been infused or started that it is still working for quite awhile after it has been stopped. They just last friday stopped my wife's topotecan untill result's of her MRI are decided as the doc think's there is a chance it may be arthritis after all..So trust in our Heavenly Father's will and keep praying......

I hope I am not to late, I was given a daily injection of NuMega (sp?) for a week when my platelets went down that far. Side effects were nasty but tolerable: severe edema, nausea and generally felt rotten for the week I took the shots and it didn't bring it up fast, but I was able to have my next round of chemo. So check out that one as well

I'm glad you brought this to Dave's doctor's attention too. My son had dealt with an automimmune disease where his body attacks the platelets and he has had different "meds" for this.. I realize this is quite different from Dave's problem. However, I don't understand why they can't do a platelet transfusion to bring his count up.

Prayers that his platelets go up soon!

Gail P-M

Dear Karen, I don't know whether this is a good choice, but like my dad, his blood count was perfect for taking chemo. I think it's because of the Lingzhi/Yunzhi. I don't know whether your oncologist would suggest Dave to get these supplements. But what comes out from my brain is, this probably works for Dave.

thanks everyone.

beth - you are way too much with the Marlon Brando avatar, way too much! I KNOW you and I don't think you look a bit like him, you silly girl!

but you made me chuckle which I desperately need. love the idea of just putting him in the hospital. the thing is, you have to do what's "reasonable, necessary and expected" or whatever for ins. to pay, you know?

Betty - I'm going to look into that shot. Maybe another fax to the oncologist is in order with this suggestion. they're going to cut their fax machine off LOL. I don't care. this is my husband's LIFE we're talking about here!

and yes, I am putting it all in the hands of God. With Easter upon us I think quite often, really just about constantly, about our relationship with Christ and how this is all fits in. how Dave's situation fits in with God's plan, and I am putting it all in His hands, but I also know that God wants me to fight for my husband.

Thank you thank you, everyone.

Karen

OK, Betty, you're so right on about Neumega. I just found some info on it, I think it was from FDA website. looks like good stuff. Given weekly AFTER chemo to keep platelet production up.

So here's the fax I'm about to send to onco doc:

Dear Dr. S.:

Neumega?

What about platelet transfusion, followed by chemo, followed by neumega?

thank you,

Karen

"...I like a nice simple "how to read your lab report" thing like this but it's obviously for HIV patients which is OK, would be nice to find one like this geared to cancer patients..."

I know what you mean. When I was first diagnosed, and for several years afterwards, I could find more information on Bronchioloalveolar Carcinoma (BAC) on Vetenary Medicine Sites than I could any where else. (BAC and Adenocarcinoma with BAC features is a condition found in both Sheep and Cats, none of whom smoked.)

I've learned to look at other diseases/disorders to find info that may be helpful for where I am now. Because there is so little info geared specifically to Lung Cancer I cobb things together.

Hope today you guys have a good plan in place.

ok, JUST got a call from onco doc's nurse. I know she is sick of my faxing missives to her but oh well, at least I got a plan going. The plan is:

1. IF Dave's platelett count is 85,000 or more on Monday, he gets his chemo (topotecan) once a day five days in a row starting Monday.

2. On Day 7 he gets a shot of neulasta. Since Day 7 will be Sunday we will probably be doing that at home (awww, sweet revenge. for many months I endured the torture of my husband sticking a needle in my backside daily to try to get some eggs cooking to make a baby. Now I get to stick him, except I'm told it's a subcutaneous shot which means the short needle, darn it all!).

The nurse says they don't much like the neumega stuff, they haven't seen it actually boost anyone's platelets. I didn't argue with her since they are trying to do something. The neulasta is to boost Dave's white blood cells since the chemo is bound to bring them down.

PRAY PRAY PRAY FOR AN 85,000 PLATELET COUNT ON MONDAY.

He goes in tomorrow for his zometa IV, the stuff to build his bone growth. I hope it doesn't cause him the pain it did the first time he got it!

Man, I wish there was something you could eat to build up platelets, like big juicy steaks. Maybe we should just try that anyway?

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT.

Berisa - I'm going to check out those herbs.

God Bless,

Karen

KAren...I'm crossing my fingers and saying my prayers for you and Dave. I went through this a lot with Dennis, once he began the Topetecan. He had transfusions and the medication I gave him was Nupogen (think spelling is right). I gave him the injections for 7 days myself, as we are about an hour and a half from the doctor.