A History Lesson

UncleDoug

Journal Excerpt:

Tuesday, May 17 Started my third cycle of chemotherapy today. It’s been 60 days since the initial emergency room visit which started this journey. 61 days ago I was oblivious to any ailment other than lower back pain. My doctor says that without treatment I would have died in 6-8 weeks. Scary.

What did they do, and what did they call this thing 300 tears ago? Dad or Mom were having a Kodak moment with the kids on the beach near yet to be settled Seattle – eating smoked salmon, steamed clams and corn. Tucking the kids into their bear and elk pelts, Mom turns to Dad with an amorous look in her eye, and Dad says, “Not tonight, Timid Dove, my back has been acting up.â€

Doug,

I totally agree with you on the importance of a good support system. My parents were living in Florida and only stayed 2 years (10 years ago) because they missed their friends in North Dakota. Pops said that if he would of got diagnosed w/cancer in Florida he said he would have never made it this far because he would not have had the vast/excellent support from his friends and family.

Kitkathi

I totally agree with you too Doug. After my Mother's release from the Cross Cancer Institute, she was misty-eyed to see how many people traveled from far away places to visit, and how none of us three, (two brothers and self), had left her alone at any time during her hospital stays. She said that she would have died otherwise.

I am just glad we were all there for her and she pulled through.

Hoping a world of NED touches your life soon and stays, as well as, my Mother's taking up permanent residence,

Deb

PS...Thanks for the journal entries. They are not only eleoquent and humorous (at times), they are also, profoundly thought-provoking.

Uncle Doug...once again your words hit home. Were it not for my family, a very few close friends and my CyberTeam of 14 incredible women...who knows where I'd be today?

My "Team" has been there for me from the get go...and the most incredible part is that I've only met 4 of these women in real life! Still..they've literally been the wind beneath my cancerous wings. (Oh ick...how bad does THAT sound? :? ) Well...you know how I meant it, right? :wink:

Anyway...here is a watercolor of the team, painted by one of them after I commissioned her to do the painting. The bald one in the middle is me! :wink: They are all sporting yellow hardhats...my "symbol" for this battle.

47b5db10b3127cce91bc003a9f7d00000016108Abs2bJy4Yt9

Let's hear it for those who step up to the plate in love and friendship and support....rather than disappearing with the excuse of, "I just don't know what to say to him/her" or disappearing for no good reason at all.

Hi Uncle Doug,

Glad that you posted. I was wondering how you were doing.

You are so right,that the support of family and friends is so crucial to this or any other desease.

We have had such a pouring of support that I know that had helped Joel with his recovery.

Thank your for your post. I hope it will help some people out there know what a survivor is going through and by them giving support can make a difference toward their recovery. It can make a life or death difference.

Please take care of yourself.

Maryanne

What a great post Uncle Doug.

You brought up one thing that has really struck me during my journey on this path with my Mom: The number of people out there that for whatever reason, don't have (or seem to have) a support system. I've seen those people too, young and old, at the chemo suites all by themselves every time they come.

We used to half-jokingly refer to ourselves as her "pushy kids" but I wonder about those people out there that don't have "pushy" people advocating for them. It haunts me.

I think I've said it before here, but the Nurses I met are convinced that having a support system, and a positive attitude are 90% of the reason for success or progress when dealing with cancer.

I am also a people watcher. I feel so bad for patients that are alone. I hate to see people left alone at the infusion center. One time I saw a group home patient left alone by his caregiver. He started to cry and it was heart breaking. I was so hoping she'd come back while we were there so I could ask what company she was from. :evil:

The scary thing is though, I've seen people have a reaction to the chemo and be absolutely terrified. So especially for a first time chemo someone should be with you.

Hi, everyone, especially Doug,

I thought your journal excerpt was beautiful and very true, except perhaps for one thing. You said you feel sorry for people at treatment who are alone. I go by myself, but pls don't feel sorry for me. As a matter of fact, I had a treatment w/Zometa just today. I am not getting chemo; had 6 months' worth, and will have another cat scan in July. My wonderful husband takes me and picks me up, but did not stay even when I was going for chemo. I did not ask him to. I really felt supported with just what we were doing. I have always wanted to feel very strong, like I had things under control. If he had stayed I would have felt as though I was asking extra of him that I didn't feel I needed. But that's just me. He worries so much about me. I told him I was going to work after today's treatment; he thought I was pushing it, but said it was my decision. That gives me the feeling that I have some control over what goes on with me. I have seen others by themselves, and have had conversations with some. Nobody seemed expecially sad; however, this is just my observation. I just thought I'd put my two cents in so that you didn't feel sorry for me and others because we come alone. I believe we all have someone, and maybe it is a choice we make.

Thanks for listening.

Pam