Tim- really fatigues and depressed

Tim'sKathy

Tim has been so tired..he does not feel like doing anything. I am not sure if it is the Iressa...seems this has just been happening since he has been taking it.

He finally admitted yesterday that he might want to try an anti-depressant. I have no clue how he has made it this far without one.

We have an appointment this morning with the radiation oncologist and then for him to get Zometa, so I am gonig to try and talk to his Onc to see what they can do....

Anyone here going through this without an antidepressant?

Kathy

My zoloft and I are joined at the hip !!! I should have been on it 2 cancers ago. :lol:

I was at a docotr's (not cancer related), and giving him my meds and history. He actually asked me if the aoloft was because of the cancer. DUH !

Does he have ativan or xannax (sp?). That helps on the really trying times. I was hospitalized for a week in ICU, getting blood transfusions and couldn't get out of bed. Every morning I had two tylenol (back pain), and an ativan. As soon as the ativan kicked in I was able to deal with my plight.

Have you read anything by Bernie Siegel?

gail

Hi Kathy,

My dad isnt taking any antidepressants. I really dont know how he does it. I metioned it to him back in march, he said he really didnt think he needed them. He's from "the old school" and really didnt take too much of anything until the lc. He puts on when I'm around because he hates me worrying about him. I'm sure he tells my mom alot more than me. I hope your hubby finds some relief with them, I know many do.

Kathy,

I'm not on antidepressants, but the only thing that means is that I don't need one....yet. I don't use insulin, either, but if I needed it I sure as heck WOULD use it. Same for the antidepressant.

You can't make those kinds of comparisons...

I am another one of those from the old school, I don't take antidepressants, however I did ask for Ativan, I take one at night to sleep and I have taken one very rarely when I knew I was going to be in a very stressful situation, waiting for test results! If I thought I needed antidepressants I would be the first one to ask for one though. Why fight it when there is something available to help. I am a naturally upbeat person even with the lung cancer but if I need them down the road I will get them. As a friend says "better living through chemistry"

I was diognosed last july with lung cancer and up until a few weeks ago had not taken any meds for depression but i do now and it does help . I am on paxil daily and zanex when needed. It is a very long day for us with thoughts of gee what's next in this battle . Try to convince him they will take the edge off things and he will feel better. You mention mets to the lymph nodes in the abdomen does he have any edema because of the lymph nodes? You take care . Carlton

Hi Kathy,

Hugh doesn't take anti-depressents either. As with Don and others, he is from that old book and digs his heels in when it comes to meds. BUT, I think if they are needed that its important to take them. You have to be mentally healthy to be up to fighting this kind of a health problem. The medicine is out there, modern medicine is a wonderful thing. If its needed you should take advantage of what is available.

Kathy,

Earl has always taken any pill I have given him. I have always laid out his vitamins etc. If he saw a new one and ask what it was I would say arsenic and he would say 'Oh well' and swallow it. Our little joke.

Not too long after his dx, his thoracic surgeon mentioned many cancer patients take an antidepressant. Well I just called our primary and he gave him an rx for Zoloft. Kind of slipped it in with ALL the other meds he was taking Told him what it was and said all the docs said it was a good idea.

Earl has just finished his last chemo and has no more treatments scheduled. The drs are very optimistic with him now, so my plan is to start to taper off on the Zoloft. I plan to go to half a pill a day, then 1/2 every other day etc. If I see a change for the worse - ZAP back on the big Z.

I too am a believer of better living thru chemistry. But I also believe that that darn chemistry is only for when you need it truly.

Most every one I know that had lung cancer has been on antidepressents for some period of time. Why suffer needlessly. You have got to realize all that we go through has an affect on our body chemistry throwing it off. Go for it!

Hi Kathy,

I strongly recommend a anti-depressant for anyone struggling with the emotional ups and downs of cancer. It does not mean that "we are weak" in any way! I myself am a mental health counselor and have begun taking zoloft, an SSRI. Simply put, an SSRI is a serotonin reuptake inhibiter that acts to block your body's own absortion of a chemical called serotonin, which is a chemical your body needs to relax and rest. There are many different types of anti-depressants, one right for Tim. Speak to his Onc. Most anti-depressants today are fast acting and non-addictive! Good Luck!

Cheryl

Hi Kathy,

I think that an anti-depressant is a good idea for Tim. When stressful situations occur in life, a chemical imbalance can occur in some people. It happened to me after a near fatal auto accident in a snowstorm. I was on Zoloft for several months after until I slowly weaned myself off of it. It really helped the depression.

Blessings to you both,

Peg

Thanks everyone...

He had his radiation "mapped" out today...really colorful! and had his first infusion of Zometa. Come to find out the spot on the vertebrae is very small and he only needs 10 treatments of low dose radiation.

We did get to see Dr. E and she prescribed Paxil for him. SHe said she wished that he had asked for it a month ago..she said it is only natural for him to have some emotional ups an downs, especially with starting 3 new things at once..Iressa, Zometa and the radiation. So, hopefully we will see some improvement. He said that he is feeling much better physically, just down and worthless because he cannot do things or go at the pace he used to....

I am sure as time goes by he will be less tired and get his strength back...we just have to get over the hump...

Thanks again everyone...I really appreciate your posts !

Kathy

Kathy, my Mom is taking paxil (she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in April, had a full hystorectomy and is undergoing 'preventive' chemo, as a precautionary thing). My dad has not had any anti-depressants, but after seeing how he had lost so much weight due to his having NO APPETITE, and then seeing his complete 180 degree turn around after he met with his oncologist last friday...He didn't even realize how much his nerves were affecting him...he thought he just had no appetite due to going off the steroids since his brain mets in Dec.. Anyway, I think that the anti depressants are a good idea. I wish my dad would be more open to them. I think it would help.

It must be very frustrating to Tim to compare how he lived before and after the cancer Dx...and for you too. But sometimes an upswing is just around the bend. Just give it time. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, and keep us posted, Deb