UPDATE ON MY BROTHER....HELP!!!!!!!

InCalifornia

Hi Everyone

Please someone HELP ME!

I'm so sad...

We too our brother to the doctor yesterday... He hasn't been felling well... Last tuesday he received his second treatment of ALIMTA... His hair has grown back and he seems to be tolerating this chemo better than taxotere.

Lately he has been very drowsy,he loses his balance a lot and cannot longer walk without feeling dizzy, whenever he loses his balance he also loses his hearing, it's very weird and this is happening more and more often... Yesterday we took him to the doctor because he has this horrible pain that comes and goes... He feels like someone is stabbing him with a sharp knife (right on the intercostal space) right side...

I can see an elongated tumor growing in there and it seems to be part of the primary tumor he originally had on his right lung...I'm not sure if his doctor already has giving up on him but he doesn't seem to be doing much for him or ordering more tests, etc... The nurse came out yesterday to the waiting room and advice me to start looking into a clinical trial for him because she said that after ALIMTA they won't have anything to offer him... At least nothing approved by the FDA... I'm so devastated, he is paying for COBRA, because he lost his job and we don't have the money to take him to see anoother doctor for a second opinion... I'm so sad and feel so helpless!

Please keep in your prayers... The nurse said that his cancer is very bad and very aggresive... and I have my suspicions that all this dizziness he is feeling now is not at all side effect of the ALIMTA but maybe a brain tumor?

I'm NUMB and don't have any more tears left!

He has no idea and I don't think he wants to know anything!:-(:-(:-(

GOD BLESS!

BROTHER DIAGNOSED WITH NSCLC ON 8/2004...PRIMARY TUMOR ON THE LOWER RIGHT PART OF RIGHT LUNG... NON OPERABLE...TUMOR ATTACHED TO TRACHEA, COMPRESSING THE HEART, AND PULMONARY ARTERY.

RADIATION 12/2004

A CHEMO COMBO (don't remember the name) 3 treatments out of 6

VERY SICK WITH LOW BLOOD COUNT...TAKEN OUT OF CHEMO.

Started a new chemo TAXOTERE 1/25/2005 (3 treatments out of 6)

DEVELOPED PNEUMONIA (BAD CASE) BLOOD TRANSFUSION, IN THE HOSPITAL, PLEURAL EFFUSION.

TAKEN OUT OF CHEMO...AND WITHOUT ANY TREATMENT FOR OVER 2 MONTHS.

CT SCANS SHOW 3 NEW NODULES ON TEH LEFT LUNG NOW 3/005

STARTED HIM ON ALIMTA AT THE END OF MAY, HE HAS RECEIVED 2 TREATMENTS OUT OF 6... THERE WON'T BE ANYTHING ELSE AFTER ALIMTA AND NEED TO LOOK FOR CLINICAL TRIAL!

Hi,

Oh how I can relate. God bless you for being such a caring Sister. My heart breaks for you in you're sadness but please remember he is still here so spend as much time with him as you can and try not to show him you're fears as it will only hurt him to be hurting you, I know I've been there.

You are both in my prayers and God bless you Both,

Jane

I am so sorry about your brother. I am not sure why his medical coverage would not pay for a second opinion. Being under COBRA should not mean that he has different coverage than if he was still employed. You may want to check this further.

Even if they do not have another treatment that he can tolerate right now, they absolutely should be given him meds to control his pain and make him more comfortable.

So sorry your brother is having such a hard time, I know it is scary and discouraging. You said he lost his job. Has he looked into applying for social security disability? As far as Cobra goes, I agree that his insurance should be the same as when he was working, he should be able to get a second opinion. I hope he starts to feel better soon.

Your brother should qualify for Cal-Med and Disability in his present condition. Under Cal-Med he would have access to UCLA's Jonnson Comprehensive Cancer Center or one of the other UC Cancer Centers, City of Hope National Medical Center, or other cancer centers for a second opinion consult, and/or treatment.

InCa-

I am on Alimta (7 treatments so far), I have started to become tired and have started to have very bad pain in the torso area.

I'm concerned about the dizziness and hearing. You do need a 2nd opinion. FayA. is one smart lady, check into what she said in her response. There has to be something that can be done to get a 2nd opinion!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Incalifornia,

Sending lots of prayer to your brother and family. Getting a 2nd opinion is a very good idea. I too have Cobra and was able to get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion. It was all paid by the insurance. I live in California too. We have PM'd before and your brother and I both had stereotactic at The City of Hope. I pray you get some answers and treatment for your brother. Please keep us posted. Your bro is stage IV, he should be eligible for Social Security Disability and also Medicare...

Thinking of you,

Prayers and hugs,

Karen