Cancer Pain Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mama4zach

Hi Everyone, I have a question for anyone that ever experienced this kind of pain that I am having. I don't know how to put my history on here like you guys have it solong story short, i was dx with sclc limited in dec 2004. I am 50 yrs old and am raising my grandson. He is 3 yrs old and his mother, my daughter passed away when he was 4 months old. The last 4 yrs of my life has really been tough. I almost feel like Job in the Bible. Anyways, I keep fighting because of my grandson. I had my last chemo treatment the last week of April, cisplatin and etoposide. Had the last of 10 pci treatment june 29. Lost all hair again not like a had much but at least it was a short buzz. I don't think I have had one day since my first treatment of chemo of not being nauseaed. I take zofran and prilosec 2 times a day. I also take pain meds as needed. Well I felt like I was getting better more energy and strength before the pci. And just this week starting having alot of pain in my back and stomach. I called my doctor and told me to contact my family dr and have a test for ulcer. They also moved my appointment date up and told me to take the pain meds on schedule till I get it under control or if I didn't it was hard to control. Anyhow, has anyone else had this pain afterwards? Or do u think I could have the cancer again???? Would everyone on this board please pray that is not the case. I feel like I just can't take much more. I am still fighting but I feel like I am the one getting beat up. Any information you can give me will be much appreciated. Sometimes I think I just get so scared and maybe that makes it worse but I am really worried. Have I had enough time to be boucing back or is it still early????? Thank you all for everything. Love and Prayers For All, Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I don't have experience with SCLC, but others will respond to you that have.

The only thing I can really comment about is that I am shocked that the "doctor" (was it your oncologist?) shifted you off to the PCP to check for an ulcer. As I'm sure you know small cell grows very rapidly, and can appear almost overnight. It is also very responsive to chemo and can wiped out just about as quickly. Anyway, I'm surprised the onc didn't want you to have a CT Scan w/contrast of chest, abdomen & pelvis.

I would be sure that's what your PCP orders and that he orders it ASAP.

Please let us know.

Love,

Peggy

Hi Nancy,

As a nurse and more importantly someone who's best friend is battling this disease, I would like to add my 2 cents.....for what it is worth...One of the first things I learned as a nurse is that we should always listen to the patient because they know their bodies best.....

When a person who has been diagnosed with cancer presents to a physicians office for any kind of ache or pain I would hope that they would be worked up to rule out the possibility that it is a result of the disease....Please request a scan- for your own peace of mind- SCLC is aggressive- and can hop from one place to another in no time at all- I can't believe that these docs don't jump right in and test, test test...just in case......as patients it is our responsibility to expect and demand the best possible care....

I hope that it turns out to be nothing (but please, have the scan you to be sure)and keep you and your grandson in my prayers.

Nancy,

I finished chemo and 20 PCI treatments last November and didn't feel really good for over a month. But you should never dismiss pain. I was having pain in my spine not too long ago, so I called my onc and requested a bone scan. They ordered it and everything is fine. I would insist on a scan. With sclc we just can't take any chances and I let all my doctors know that I don't intend to let anything slide.

Take care and I am praying for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Nancy B

Nancy, I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and your grandson. Your story DOES sound a lot like Job's, and I'm so sorry you're having all these challenges. (sounds like such a weak word for it...) I hope you check this out and find out where the pain is coming from, and that it can be easily made to GO AWAY.

BeckyCW

Hi Nancy,

I am so sorry I cannot help you with your answer. And I feel so bad that you are going through all of this and having to raise a grandson at the same time.

But like you said, he is the reason why you keep fighting, so that is a positive reason for your to keep on fighting and not give up.

You definetely should have this looked into, but I feel you need a scan not an Xray for an ulcer.

Please ask for a CT..

Prayers sent to you.

Keep us posted.

Maryanne

I agree with others that you should have any new pain investigated. I know how much you must worry about your grandson. It sounds like God has really filled your plate. I will be keeping you in my prayers!

Hi Nancy,

I am new here too, I can't help much with your pain issue as we are looking for those answers too. But I can relate to your connection with Job. I frequently will re-read Job for encouragement. Even though my husband is going through all his physical problems I take comfort in knowing that all our children are healthy, and near us. His six children are grown, and my daughter will start college this fall, we just have four boys left at home. But we don't have any toddlers as your grandson to chase around!

Love him and hug him and he will know for years to come all that you have done for him!