Sore Mouth

Guest DaveG

Guest DaveG

Has anyone who has been on Carboplatin/Pachtaxel had any problems with dentures, mouth sores, and gum sores? I have tried mouthwash and toothpaste but all that does is worsen the effect. Sucking on candy does not aliviate the situation either. I just had my 4th cycle last week and and 2 more cycles in 2 and 5 weeks. I am considerering a call to my dentist tomorrow.

Hi Dave...When Howard was at the peak of his treatment plan his mouth did get sore. He also has dentures and that didn't help the matter. We talked to his oncologist and he told us to get a non-alcohol mouthwash. We got our here at the hospital, but I'm sure its available anywhere. He told Howard to avoid any products with an alcohol base as they would irritate the mouth more. Hope this helps!

Bonnie

Hugh didn't get that type of chemo, but one of the questions our doctor asked us every single visit was whether or not Hugh's mouth or gums hurt. One guy in chemo actually had thrush. The nurses didn't seem surprised.

Hope you are feeling reasonably well! I always look for your posts.

My boyfriend was also told to use a non alcohol base mouthwash, but they also told him if he did get sores, to let them know and they would give him a perscription for some kind of Magic mouthwash??? Not really sure if I'm right about the name... anyone else heard of this?

Look at the current CURE TODAY magazine - Also here is the online version

http://www.curetoday.com/currentissue/d ... index.html

http://www.cancerfacts.com/Home_News.as ... ewsId=1542

http://www.cureourchildren.org/mouthsores.htm

I'm not saying you have mucositis, but maybe there are a few tips in the articles that will help or you can your Dr about the newly approved drug

Maybe you just talk too much! :lol:

Ok, here's another thought. Sometimes sores are due to acid in the mouth like canker sores. A simple remedy is to rinse your mouth with an antacid like Malox or something that will neutralize the acid and help them heal.

Been thinking of you and miss the chat. Hopefully I'll get a computer at home soon. Ours has a virus.

Dr. Marylin Dodd has developed a treatment for cancer mucositis. Most of it can be done by the patient independently. Abstract here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

In case that very long URL doesn't work, try searching for Cancer Nursing 1998, Issue 21, Number 4, pp 263-8.

Authors: Larson PJ, Miaskowski C, MacPhail L, Dodd MJ, Greenspan D, Dibble SL, Paul SM, Ignoffo R.

I found this in Google by inputting Dodd Pro Self (which is the name of the program.)

Marylin is a wonderful person who would be happy to hear from you if want to email her: marylin.dodd@nursing.ucsf.edu. Good luck!

Hi Dave,

been wondering how you were. buddy had the same chemo and yes, his mouth would get sore. at times it hurt to eat. he has false teeth so he would take them out and drink soups that he didn't have to chew. i just asked him if his gums are still sore after all this time and he said no. he said to tell you it goes away after you are off the chemo a while. he didn't take anything for it while on chemo. he is a hard one to crack. he never wants to take anything. he got hooked on prescription drugs years ago when he had surgery for an anuerysm in the brain and he doesn't ever want to go that route again. at this point, i say what ever works go for it.....hope you are coming along okay. that chemo can really wear one down while on it. buddy goes back tomorrow to see about the liver mets. he isn't sure whether he wants chemo again or not. it is his decision as you know.....

Hi Dave,

I did have the same chemo but didn't have any sores. I feel one reason was because twice a day I was rinsing my mouth out with one cup of warm water mixed with one tbls. of baking soda. I did this from the very beginning as a preventative measure.

Hope you find some relief soon.

Teet

I called my brother in law the dentist to find out what he gave me when I had mouth sores with my breast cancer chemo.

this is what he came up with:

Prednisolone syrup 15mg/ml 180cc

Kenalog Dental Paste .1% 5gm tube

I am only passing on the name; this writer assumes no liability in this matter :lol:

I just know that it worked so well, I was sorry I didn't call him sooner.

gail

Guest DaveG

Went to my dentist today and he was familiar with the problem. He prescribed a mouthwash which contains both maalox and lidocaine. I just tried it and it has already helped. It was interesting to see that some have and some have not had problems.

Please look for my posting about the golf outing under the General Heading

Hi Dave

There is one other thing which might help you. My husband used the softest tooth brushes we could get during this time fore not to add aditional sores to the mouths tissue.

We used a mix of the Mycostatin which you keep in your mouth as long as possible and than swallow and the same in pills you can suck ...the condition is called Candida Albicans and you can see it when it is developing. On your tongue you will see little pools developing which start to become a carpet of white ....like having gras growing ....it will get less as you get further down the antidote route but it is back severely once you start treatment again .

You need to battle it constantely.

And do it early as you know it is a thing which spreads you need to stop it in its tracks than you control it.

Regards Bettina

Dave,

Keith also has sores in his mouth from chemo. He uses a mouthwash that is available at local stores, we get it at Walgreens, called biotene. They also make a toothpaste. It is an all natural herbal mouth rinse and paste with no alcohol and is very gentle on the mouth. It seems to be working for Keith.

Carleen

Hi,

Different chemo, but I had pain/sore on the roof of my mouth. Like it was burned. At first sign I swished with diluted peroxide and it kept it under control. I'm pretty sure mine was thrush and I know that Nystatin works wonders for that. I never even mentioned it to my doctor since the peroxide worked and I knew that mouth sores were a possible side effect. My radiation oncologist had me take diflucan (anti-fungal) during treatment also. Glad you found something that works.

Jenny