How Did it Go?

Treebywater

Our Thanksgiving was very different and sad without my brother Mark with us..He would always help me cook, and shop for the food..We were so close!!It was a very sad day for all of us..I hope and pray our loved ones are watching us, and I wait for the day I will be able to hug my dear brother once more..I lost my mom 3 years ago, just before my 50th birthday. I lost my husband December 16, 1985 when my daughter was just 3 months old, and my father 2 years before my husband..I still have my sister, my younger brother, and my daughter..I was very lucky to find a loving man when my daughter was 8 years old, we married 1 year later..I am blessed in many ways, and I know there are reasons for everything that happens..I guess God thinks I am very strong, but lately I am not sure..I don't want to keep loosing the people that I love so dearly..I guess I am having a pity party for myself today..

I hope all of you made it through the holiday, you are all in my prayers..

Donna :cry:

Donna my Friend, I think your intitled to have a pity party. :cry: It's so very hard to lose someone we love so very much, no matter if it's around the holidays, or any other day. It leaves a very empty feeling in our hearts.

I hope this day will pass softly for you and all our friends here that have to go through the first year without there loved ones. I know it's very painful and sad. :cry::cry:

Our Thanksgiving was very different and sad without my brother Mark with us. I guess I am having a pity party for myself today..

Donna :cry:

God Bless.

Sounds like this was a hard one for many of us.

Let's just say I'm glad this first one is over and may next year be easier for all of us.

Reading Katie's reply gives me hope. Although she still has days and moments of such sadness when thinking about her Dad, she and Rick also posted some wonderful happenings in their lives on Thanksgiving Day. I'm looking forward to days where the sadness is blended into a whole bunch of goodness. Perhaps next year?

Thanks for asking about us Val when I know this is such a difficult time for you.

Lynne

Like you all said it was different, but our holiday was pretty good. We missed mom and joked how we really needed her when it came to making the gravey because none of us knew the exact amout of flour to add to make gravey for your large group ( all 24 of us) Everyone loves my moms stuffing and I was very relieved that mine tasted just as good as hers. My hardest times were while I was up alone early in the morning getting the turkey ready and thinking of mom and after everyone left thinking how weird it is that all goes on even without her.

I thought this year would be "easier" because it wasn't the first Thanksgiving without my Mom....but in a lot of ways, it was harder. I think last year, I was still numb, it was still so recent.

This year, it's like the hard permanancy of it is very real....

We still had a nice day and I enjoyed good food and good company, but that feeling of a missing piece is just hanging there...

This was my third Thanksgiving without Randy and the first without my mom.

Funny how time has a way with me. The pain eases.

I remember them both with love and tenderness but I also realize I have alot to be thankful for. I have my kids, my friends, my support board here, and I have new relationships.

I heard my mothers voice yesterday. I called my brother who lived with my mom and he has not changed the voice message on the phone. There was mom's voice. It was nice to hear it.

I know my mother is out of pain and not suffering. Something to be thankful for. I know Randy too is in a better place. Along with my father and a number of other good people I call friends. I miss each of them.

But time continues on and so too does my life. It is ever changing and I am learning to adapt to those changes. It takes longer with some things than other and each of us will change as time goes on.

But the holiday's do bring back the memories. I try to focus on the good ones and not the sad ones. And I remember to make new ones each time I get to spend time with those I love.

I am thankful.

May we all find peace within our selves to be the best we can be in order to honor those we have loved so much.

Praying for us all today and everyday.

Shirleyb

It was our second Thanksgiving with my Dad. I could just picture him sitting there across the table from me. At one point, I was staring at the empty chair real hard hoping that a vision of him would appear in it. Then I looked down at the empty shells of the nuts I had been eating, and the memory was bittersweet. I ate a few extra filberts for him. We both loved them. I reminisced in my mind about all the things that we both liked, and how much alike we were in so many ways. I miss him so very much. Life will never be the same.

We had a great thanksgiving. All the family there. But mom was not. It was tough.

But my sister's chandeleer lights were dimming off and on. When me and my sister were sitting at the table alone. Could this be mom and dad? I spoke to my sister tonight, lights are fine. I sure hope they were there. I really really feel they were.

Tough without mom being there physicially. I miss her smile and laugh.

Maryanne :(

Spent part of the day with my husband's family and then to work at 3pm. It was a sad day after I got to work; 2 cardiac arrests 1 severe head bleed, and 4 new ventilator patients, all in 8 hours! Need less to say I was more than ready to go home at 12am when I finished :( But, very greatful for the health of my family. I went home and kissed everyone goodnight and thanked God for them.

Thanksgiving for us was exhausting, busy, and hard but all in all it went ok I guess. I cooked dinner for Dad and his girlfriend Thursday night--just lasagna.... I figured there would be plenty of turkey later... That went well, though it was hard to see someone else in Mom's seat, and difficult to realize that we were telling her stories that were new to her, when only last year Mom and Dad were telling THEIR stories together.

The next day C and I went to my sister-in-laws, and we really enjoyed that, Carolyn had a lot of fun with her cousins, but she doesn't sleep well at their house for some reason so it was very tiring.

And Saturday Dad's extended family came over to our house for pizza. I was a little irked at them becasue none of them could possibly conceive of having our get-together anywhere but at OUR house for just this year... but we simplified and just ordered pizza, so it went ok.

I missed Mom... especially when making her recipes. But it was doable. It was a little extra hard because the last holiday I had with Mom was Thanksgiving last year when they came to see us in Washington right after she had been diagnosed. Lots of 'last year we....' thoughts.

It just seems everything happened so fast. She's gone and now there is someone new sitting where she used to sit. Hard to swallow, but the way life goes I guess.

So that's my report.

I am so sorry for all the pain and emptiness all of you are feeling at this time of year. This is my third Thanksgiving without Dennis and the feeling of being alone was still as strong as ever, even though my house was full of people. My good friend, Mark, was with us this year. He and Dennis grew up together and were best friends through life. He has been unable to join us for holidays past, as he was a caregiver for his mother for 12 long years. She was an Alzheimer patient and he just lost her a couple months ago. During dinner, Mark began to tell one Dennis story after another. He has us all laughing so hard the tears were rolling down our faces. My Dennis was quite a character and he and Mark bear a striking resembleance in both looks and voice. They grew up in New York City and both always had that great accent. I believe that Dennis was looking down on his family and friends during dinner. I really miss him and would give everything I own for just one big, long hug!!!!