UPDATE NODULE CHECK (PART 2)

Connie B

Well, it's been nice & quiet here in NODULE LAND, but I think maybe we should have a CHECK IN TIME for NODULES!! :wink:

So, as far as mine goes, it is still 6mm and after having tons of tests at MAYO CLINIC last week they even checked my NODULE and said, it didn't look like anything to be concerned about, and they too thought it was scar tissue. :D:D

So, lets here from the rest of you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been going through the same thing for the last 2 years! I have a 7mm nodule right near where my right middle lobe was removed. I get a CT scan and/or PET about every 6 months. Nothing lights up (but may be too small) and there has been no change in years. My oncologist and the radiologists all feel it is scar tissue. So, I remain on "watch and see" status.

Thanks for starting this thread, Connie! I'm sure there's a bunch of us with these "innocent" nodules.

• 4 weeks later...

My nodule "journey" started with my regular physical in July 2005. As Kasey's caregiver we wanted "peace of mind" that I was okay so I requested a spiral CT. As you can see from my bio three nodules were found. My next scan is due in April.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

I second what Kasey said.

Yep you can join because you have a nodule! :roll::wink:

And YEP they do go away. If it's an infection it will go away. If it's scare tissue then in time they will be able to tell you.

I have been being watched for over 3 years, and after all that time, they now are 99% sure it's scare tissue.

I know go every 6 months for CT scans rather then every 3 to 4 months to keep a watchful eye on my dreaded NODULE! :roll:8)

How many years do you think it takes to know if the "nodule" being watched is scar tissue or not? I've been watched for about 2 years, no change. My drs. think it's scar tissue but of course can't guarantee.

I know Connie will find this SOOOO hard to believe, but I was reading up on nodules :shock: . Now SOME research states that after 2 years one is considered 'out of the woods', BUT other research states that there are very slow growing nodules that may take years ~ so they should continue to be watched after the 2 year mark. Now for how long????? Don't know that! Sorry.

NO Kasey I don't disagree at all. I know there are slow growing nodules. That's one of the reasons we continue to watch mine.

As for a time limit to how long to watch a nodule, I have NO CLUE! But, like MOST issues, some research doc's agree to findings being one way, as others agree to findings being another way. Some doc's say Lung Cancer is only a smoking disease and some say NO it's NOT. So, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Some doc's agree with watching nodules and some don't. :?

I also read that the majority of Nodules are NOT CANCER! However, when it comes TO A CANCER SURVIVOR watching a nodule is very important to our health, because WE are more likely to be hit with cancer again. Our Risk factors are higher then someone who has never had cancer.

I also know there are studies going on all over the US regarding nodules and early detection methods for lung cancer. These studies are being run for 8 to 10 years and they are now in the 4th year of these studies. I know the U of MN and one of our leading hospitals here in MN are part of that study. This study has brought up the nodule issue and they are trying to determine if and how long to watch a patient with nodules. So, that I am aware of, the verdict is still out on that one. It's still in the research mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Connie, looks like I might be a canidate to join the Nodule Club. Test shows a 3 1/2 cm nodule on upper lobe of my lung. Onc doesn't know what it is. Whatever it is I don't want it. I know I have scar tissue from radiation 3 years ago. Nodule has stuck it's head out after hiding for 3 years. Will keep an eye on things for a while with a CT every 3 months.

You folks could not loose me if you wanted to. I have had so much radiation over the past 3 years, I glo in the dark. :lol:

Hey Bruce, could you pass me my sunglasses please?? :P:P I know just what you mean about glowing in the dark! I had 4 CT scan's 9 chest X-rays all within 14 days time, before and during this last heart surgery. :shock:

Way back when I did my radiation 36 radiation treatments I thought for sure I was going to have to sleep in the other room so I didn't keep my hubby awake with my bright light!! :roll::wink:

So you have the DREADED NODULE???? Bruce, your nodule seems somewhat large to me. Are they going to biopsy it? OR isn't that an option? Just wondering!

Well look at this way, you get to join yet ANOTHER CLUB one that is fun filled with some down right wonderful, funny, loving, supportive people! How great is that???

Keep us posted on how your NODULE is doing! We'll all be here if and when you need us. :wink:

YEP Kasey, I'm thinking biopsy as well!! Can't say for sure, being I don't have my MD licenses yet, :roll::P but it just sounds large to me.

That DOES sound large for a nodule, Bruce. Nodules usually are so small they can't have anything done with them. What do YOU think, Connie? Sounds like it could be a candidate for a biopsy??????

Kasey

Bruce, it is a 3 to 3-1/2 MM or is it a 3 to 3-1/2 CM ? Is it a MM or a CM? Big difference depending on CM or MM.

I have a 4 mm nodule. That's about the size of the moon area on your fingernail. Very small. And my nodule went up and down over the last 3 years from 4mm to 6mm to 8mm back to 5mm and now to 4mm. But that is small compared to a CM.

I hope this info might be helpful to someone.

Detection of growth

Malignant nodules usually grow at a constant exponential rate, which can be expressed as the tumor's doubling time (ie, the interval required for it to double in size). An increase of 28% in nodule diameter indicates doubling

. In malignant lesions, the doubling time is between 25 and 450 days in most cases, with a median of 120 days.

Benign lesions are usually stable (ie, show no growth). Sometimes they grow slowly (ie, doubling time exceeds 500 days), but occasionally their doubling time falls within the time frame typical of a malignant tumor

. A long-standing surgical dictum states that a solitary pulmonary nodule is almost certainly benign if it is stable over a 2-year period (which implies a doubling time exceeding 730 days)

. Stability is determined by retrospective analysis of one or more chest films.

A doubling time of less than 20 days usually signifies that the nodule represents a nonmalignant, acute inflammatory process.

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/1997/03_97/lilling.htm

Instead of waiting around till Wednesday I went to hospitol and got copy of my CT and report. The films are on CD now instead of film.

The report reads...

Additionally, there is a very small 2 to 3 mm nodule in the lateral aspect of the right lung base which was not present at the time of the prior examination of 14 July 2005. A small nodule could represent sequelae of prior granulomatous disease. Follow-up CT recommended to assure stability. The vague opacity in the anterior segment of the right

upper lobe could represent atelectasis versus infiltrate. Again, follow-up CT of the chest recommended to assure resolution.

Not sure if this is good or bad but I am relieved that it was not 3 cm.