Getting to Know You......January 6

Ann

I'm back!!!!!! I would like to thank Lillian for keeping these threads up and running in my absence! Great job, Lil!

Now......

What is the absolutely sweetest thing anyone has ever done for you? Think of something that really surprised you. Tell us how it made you feel!

I was a band director. When I was diagnosed, I had to stop working due to the treatment. There was an interim band director that came in and took over my job. The kids performed the Christmas concert in my honor. They also gave me a huge bouquet of flowers, a plaque and a huge bag of money they collected for me (so so sweet--a lot of quarters, nickels and dimes). I won't ever forget them.

This one's easy.

For my 50th birthday my college student daughter wanted to do something special but as usual had no money.

Her idea was to cook a bunch of stuff and leave my freezer a lot fuller.

I pointed out that I was 50 not 80 and was able to fill it myself, but she insisted.

I was given a shopping list (she couldn't afford the groceries!!) and she came home to make my present.

She spent all day cooking and sort of cleaning the kitchen and the freezer was looking real good.

I smiled and thanked her and found the whole thing kind of quaint and amusing........until I came home late one day and there was dinner almost ready for the table.

I enjoyed that present for months, it was the best I've ever received......a gift that kept on giving!

She still does it whenever I'm laid up, a whole lot of food is left in the freezer only now she pays for the groceries too!!

Geri

What great and thoughtful question Ann. For me i think it is such a large number of thing's at different time's and them all coming at time's when i needed it.But i guess the most important one was when my wife to be and i were walking one evening and i decided it was time to tell her how i felt about her and how warm and passionate her response was......

Well, I have had many in my lifetime -- for instance, my wife arranged for me to go up in a hot air balloon for one of my birthdays (it was on my "to do someday" list). But what stands out for me recently, is the church people got up a sign-up list to take Lucie to her radiation, so I would not have to go every day. A truly wonder gift to both of us. Don

Well there are many things to choose from but this one meant so much to me. When we were planning the LCSC Michigan Bash my two girlfriends (Cathy and Karen) offered to come and help bar tend and serve food, clean up etc. so that I could enjoy the party. My friend Karen brought her husband Guy and he was the best bartender ever. I was incredibly touched that they would offer to do this. It was so sweet of them.

So so many--But most recently at my mothers wake

the Most Reverend Seán Patrick O'Malley, Archbishop of Boston came by to give his condolences to my family. We were all surprised even my brother who is a priest. That was a very touching moment for all of us. None of us was expecting that.

This really isn't something that was done for me, it's something that was said to me that totally caught me off guard and gives me warm fuzzies just thinking about it:

When I was alone and pregnant, a stray cat was abandoned by another tenant in my building and I welcomed him into my home. He rescued me from loneliness at a time I was secluded from family and friends, contemplating the adoption of my child.

This cat moved cross country with us and was affectionately known to my daughter as her "brother" until she was abruptly corrected by a preschool teacher. We doted on him, this cat was a integral part of our small family.

He developed chronic renal failure. When he was at end stage and clearly suffering I delicately told her Papa was coming to take Boy kitty to the vet and he probably wouldn't be here when she came home from school. My nine year old then asked "Mom, how long will it hurt?" As I began to explain the procedure of euthanasia and how it would be painless and over quickly, she interupted me and asked: "No, Mom, how long will it hurt you?" Through her own pain of losing the pet she was raised with, she was worried about me. This was five years ago, but I recall it as if it were yesterday.

I'm so blesse with a wonderful husband and kids who are oh-so-nice to me, but I did have something unexpected happen recently that was sweet.

One of my former students, who is in high school now, came up to school to visit me one afternoon. She had struggled a bit in English class in middle school, and came up and gave me a great big hug. She said that she had written a "perfect" paragraph in her English class that week. Her teacher told her that she should go and thank whomever had taught her how to write so well. She was so proud of herself...and I was, too! It was really cool of her to follow through and thank me! :)

:lol: Kelly

Wow Ann this is really a timely question. There is one thing I remember from last year but another happened today.

Last year when I was really struggling with my bills(some things never change)I was really having a hard time both finacially and emotionally. I couldn't afford the necasary things much less any extra. I went to Bible class one day and the pastor's wife handed me an envelope with a $20 inside. She said it wasn't from her but someone who wanted to remain annonymus and they had said for me to take it and do something nice for myself. I ended up using it to get a hair cut that I had been wanting for several months.

Today my boss gave me one of our periodic reviews. With the highest score being a 9 she graded me on a number of things and gave me a 9 overall. She has been so great helping me get the jobs I need to earn extra money but she thanked me. She gave me a note that says "Lillian you are a dedicated and very compassionate caregiver. Thank you for your loyalty and dedication to me, Home Helpers and your clients and families". It was the last thing I expected and really makes the long drives and time away from home seem appreciated. I just hope I can live up to the ideals she has assigned to me. Oh she also gave me a raise!

At Valentine's day time there is this mamouth Red heart (made of metal) that says Happy Valentines day on it and is displayed on the strip where all the stores are in our area. My Hubby kept asking me what I would like for Valentines day and I kept kiddingly telling him I wanted that heart.

Valentines day we went out to supper and when we came home and I went into our bedroom my husband had gone there at some time and taken a picture of it and then edited it in PSP so that it had our itials and the date on it in addition to the Happy Valentines day. He copied off about 20 of these pictures and had them hanging all over our bedroom , on the bed, on my beuro and just everywhere I looked. It was the sweetest thing I ever saw and certainly proved to me how badly he wanted to give me what I wanted and how much he loved me! I still have the pictures!!

God Bless you all,

Jane

when my dad was sick, i wrote a letter to my friend kennedy, it was pretty emotional. she promised then and there that she would be my support during my difficult time. when my dad's time came, i flew home from korea. i was with him his last night in the hospital. the next day, i told kennedy my dad had gone. she flew from whistler to calgary, talked me through my agony, drove my husband to the airport and just helped me through it. it was unexpected but i felt so much love and support from her. it made me feel less alone. i will always be eternelly grateful for that.

The night my FIL died...I called my good fried to come and sit with my children. She came at 11 at night and stayed until 1 am. During the funeral service she neverleft my side...chased my toddlers and helped fill drinks. She was a true friend.

i am gong to call her tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me about this kindness.

Eppie

I have been amazed by the kindness of people

since Alan was dignosed.

When we had our Advanced Directives done I went

to pay the attorney, she refused to take our money.

But the one that has really stuck came from my

sister and Brother in law, that was our trip

to New York this past summer.

My sister and brother in Law bid on this wonderful

trip at a silent acution to raise money for our

local children's hospital. It was all expenses paid

Air fare, hotel 2 broadway plays. they love New york,

but at the same time also knew Alan has always wanted to go there just once in his lifetime.

Well instead of going themselves they gave the trip

to Alan and I. I was the trip of a lifetime :D:D

Alan just fell in love with New York city and now

considers it his "adopted" home. His face just lights

up everytime he just sees a picture of Time Square

or Central Park.

My sister and Brother in law will never fully understand how much that trip meant to us. I can tell them, but the feeling in my heart everytime

I see Alan's eyes light up when he talks about that

trip can not be fully expressed.

They made a lifetime dream come true :):)

It would have to be the hug my son Nicolas gave me the night my grandmother died. He was only three at the time, and he saw me crying and came over and wrapped his little arms around me and gave me a hug, and told me he loved me. He told me not to be sad because Mamaw Alice is in heaven and now she can always be with us. What a special moment we had.

For several years, I was a manager with Target. At the time, they had a senior special for free coffee with any food purchase. There was a group of local seniors that would come in every morning, buy a cookie and get a free coffee. Well, I "adopted" this group and officially started the Senior Breakfast Club. Most of these people were low income and had no social life. I started "field trips" for them and had parties every holiday! Target generously helped me with this pet project. I also got them involved in volunteering for various community projects. When I lost Dennis, they all carpooled and showed up at the memorial service. You have no idea how this touched my heart, as most of them never ventured out at night.

there are lots, because I am blessed with many sweet people in my life. the one that popped into my mind relevant to my mom's LC was this summer, Dave's parents in Ireland registered my mother for two masses a day in her name at the Shrine of Knock for a whole year. they know none of us are catholic, but it was the sweetest thing to do. I know it cost money, and it's so moving to me that people in another country are praying over my mom's NAME twice a day. I just thought it was so nice.

that, and the first time Pat and Brian sent me stickers in the mail. brought me right back to the better parts of my childhood.

xoxo

amie