CT results

Joe B

I received my 3 month CT results yesterday. The report was not very detailed this time, and I am requesting the film be re-read by another radiologist.

It included just a few lines of text. And while it looks OK. I am very disappointed in the consistency of the reporting.

It stated (I am paraphrasing) continues to show "several" "small" nodules that are "same" in size and number from the October scan. And to continue to monitor closely for the possibility of a developing metasis".

Thats all the radiologist wrote! Is anyone else frustrated by the lack of consistency you see between Radiologists on your written CT reports??

Last time another radiologist identified each by; 1) what segment of the lung and location in that segement, 2) indicated the slide that they could be found on, 3) measured all three with calipers (4.6 mm, 3.6mm ,,,,etc), and 4) compared each to the previous CT...etc.

I know not everyone is interesting in knowing everything. Me personally, I want to know technical details.

Anyway... all in all it was ok. And my blood counts (WBC, RBC, and platlets) all made a significant jump after being supressed for almost two years following treatment. they are all getting back to mid range of the normal reference range. :)

Joe--not related to lung, but like 3 years ago my dad had a ct-scan due to a hernia. I asked for a copy of the report and I read it and it said amongst other things "gallbladder looks normal". Well he did not have a gallbladder. So we called them and complained

Joe,

Boy, am I with you on this one! I don't think the radiologists have any clue as to what and how they say things affect us.

I would be asking for another read as well. To me, there is cause for concern, as I am sure that is how you are feeling too. Please come back and tell us what the 'new' read states.

It IS good news, but like my good news always is, it is tempered with JUST enough info to not allow us to feel totally out of the woods until next scan. Crappy!

Kasey

Joe,

I sure hope it's scar tissue too!! Maybe you could consult with your oncologist about the reading and he could validate or at least get another opinion. I truly believe in 2nd and 3rd opinions. Heck, I got 4 before I believed their cancer diagnosis was correct.

WOW Andrea--that guy had some issues

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

It is good news Joe, but I also would expect more details. I would want to track each indvidual nodule scan to scan with respect to its size and location. of course, maybe I am just detailed oriented. Heh Heh. I think the radiologist was not very concerned (a good thing) and sort of lazy (not so good).

Don M

Hey Joe ~

Glad to hear your scan was stable. I'm with ya on the inconsistant scan reads - went thru a similar scenario on my Nov. scan. The reading rad. described the larger (1.1cm) nodule in the L lung as "lobulated" for the first time. Also stated in his report that there has been the interval development of "some" tiny new non-calcified nodules in the lower right lobe. No specific number, or size - just states they are all under 5mm. I'm like you...I want details!!! LOTS of 'em! I feel much more comfortable in the wee hours if I at least have a mental image of what/how many/etc. are present, and just what they are doing. The ambiguity is maddening. :roll:

I'm hoping your second reading will clarify some of your questions, and that you will soon be enjoying another wonderful 'tween-scan period!

BTW - Gina's home beauty/spa remedies in the cookbook are wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Joe,

You know that I have been there done that. I would suggest that you contact the Chief of Radiology or whoever the boss person is and let them know just how you feel. It is important that radiologist not forget that those scans belong to people much like themselves. It is also important to let whoever the boss is know so that the radiologist may need to be gently reminded to put in the time and detail that we need, not just want-but need.

Joe,

In what lobe(s) were the three nodules?

It is good that you have been having scans and it appears they are spiral CT scans? It seems like the resolution (mm) is good.

Like you said in your email you should go with what you feel and get another opinion

John

Joe,

It is interesting to note: that right tumor patients have a higher survical rate the left tumor patients with BAC.

I just noticed your post said that all nodules have been there since the first scan? I wouldnt think there is anything to worry about if that is the case, but I am not a Dr

http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/118/4/940

IF - and I would say it is a big If there is something there, as you said there is the Tarceva option AND also another resection possibly

John