Newcomer looking for any kind of good news

lizzy13864

Hi, I am 57 yrs old and was diagnosed in Oct 2005..at first they said it was a very small tumor on my lower left lobe and that they were would just

remove the lower lobe...when they got in there they found that there were more tumors on top that did not show on the ct scan, so they biopsied and closed me up. They said it was called signet ring and that it usually comes from the breast, stomach or colon. I was tested everywhere and those areas are all clean for cancer...I am receiving chemo , carbo platin and taxol and on Friday the 27th I will start radiation on my right shoulder since I am in pain all the time in my right arm , the cancer has spread to the right shoulder and the lower sacriliac (sp?) joints. Just wondering if anyone has any words of hope? I am trying to keep a positive attitude and I am praying , I have alot of support from my family and friends but boy there are times I just get so mad and depressed!! Linda Lordi

Hi Linda.

Boy, don't the emotions runamuck on a daily basis? I remember I was bouncing off the walls and struggling to feel the emotions as they came about. You are doing well if you can recognize that you are mad. Go ahead and get mad and stay that way for as long as you need to. But don't you be getting mad at yourself...that is where the depression comes in ...anger turned toward self (or so I have heard it said)

Sorry there is no clear diagnosis as to the source of your cancer, but it sounds as if you are being treated aggressively with the same chemos that treat all the cancers that you mentioned. I had them too and Hey! I am still kickin' over 3 years later!

Glad you found us. Hope that we can be of use and help to you. Keep your chin up, when the treatment is over, you will start to feel like your old self in no time.

Cindi o'h

Hey Linda,

You stay positive!! When I was first diagnosed, one thing that stuck in my head that someone told me was this::

There is no cancer, no matter what stage, no matter how advanced, that has not been cured at some point!!!

I can't remember who said it---Maybe the Richard Bloch Foundation.

I have never forgotten that and it's always given me HOPE!!!!

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

I just want to say I am so sorry you have the beast! Cancer!

I really think if they only found cancer in your lungs, no where else that you ought to get a second opinion. You can have another pathologist , at another facility do another pathology report. Mistakes happen. No one is perfect. As Connie said, cancer in different areas , different types of cancer respond to different treatment. You want to be comfortable that the diagnosis is absolutely correct as possible.

Sincerely, Donna G

Welcome Linda,

I deleted my first post to you because I did go and look up SIGNET RING. At first it brought me to Colon Cancer so I thought your cancer might have spread from your colon, but I see it is a type of lung cancer yet it's very very rare. :( In all the years we have had this board and I have been involved in lung cancer, I have never heard of this kind.

But I still want to be clear in saying did they Dx you with Lung Cancer as your primary, or aren't they sure?

Reason being, if it's NOT lung cancer as a primary your treatments may not be the same as a lung cancer patient. So I just want you to get the best information you can, that will be benefical to you and not confuse you.

And I totally agree with DonnaG that a second opinion is in order.

Best wishes,

Connie

Welcome, Linda. I hope you will do as Donna and Connie suggested. Have a second opinion, preferably at a large comprehensive cancer center where they are more likely to have seen other cases of Signet Cell. What state are you in? We may be able to put together a list of Large NCI designated Cancer Centers in your State, or nearest to where you live if out of state if you will let us know where you reside. Wishing you well.

Hi, and welcome! I don't know anything about Signet Cell. As for hope, my wife was diagnosed with Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer, with five bone mets and given 9 months. She is now 3 years and 3 months from diagnosis and still going. She has had many spots radiated for pain, and it has worked for her. Also, several chemo regimens that have worked to some extent. Keep up the hope. Don

Welcome Lizzy,

I don't know anything about Signet Ring lung cancer, so I don't have any words of advice. As far as offering hope I can only tell you to stay positive, keep hope in your heart, take each day one day at a time and enjoy every moment of life. Like Don and Lucie, my husband and I have gone through many ups and downs, but he is still fighting after 34 months and we still believe we can beat this. He has tumors in his lungs, lymph nodes, liver, pancreas, thyroid, brain and bones. Like you, he as a rare pathology to his tumors. Plus his are hard to treat with chemo so we were told to exect about 9 months. But as I said before, we are almost to 3 years and still going. And as Jamie said, there is no cancer in any stage that is listed as 100% incurable. There is someone in every stage in ever type who has beaten this monster. There is NO reason that person can't be you.

Also, as the others suggested, please get a second opinion. Even if nothing changes with your diagnosis or your treatment it may bring you comfort and assurance that you and your doctor are doing the right thing. My Keith and I have seen 7 doctors total and each agree that more minds working together to find the best and most aggressive cure are better than 1 mind.

As you go through this journey know that you are not alone. We are here to support you and offer you our love. Plus you will be in my prayers each and every day now. I pray for a miracle cure for you, and for us all.

God Bless,

Carleen

Linda -

Welcome. As you can see, you will receive a TON of support and info from everyone here. The "old timers" really know what they are talking about...if they suggest you should get a second opinion...you should. :)

I am sorry you had to find us, but do not lose HOPE. There are many, many survivors here - I want you to be one of them.

Keep us posted,

Holly

Hi Everyone, I am not sure if I am replying in the correct manner but I just wanted to say thank you for all of the replies. When i first went to the oncologist he took all of the films and tests that I had done , every inch of my body was tested beleive me I had them all done, and sent it out for a second opinion beofre he made any decisions. I did have a pet scan and it showed cancer in my right scapula and also the sacriliac joints and of course the lung. I started radiation on Friday, Jan 27th and will have 14 more treatments.

I just did a google search and found that signet cell can be a primary lung cancer tumor. Boy there is no end to what is to be learned about this disease we call "lung cancer"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Citation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

Waiting to hear how you are doing and hoping and praying for good news. Donna G