Introduction

Rose1953

Hi, my name is Rose. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, was diagnosed with Non Small Cell Lung Cancer Jan 28, 05. Had the upper left lobe removed on Feb 17, 05 and am (supposedly) cancer free. With the anniversary of my surgery came what I think might be a delayed stress reaction.......I am anxious now and can't seem to shake it, i.e. worry about brain cancer etc. Has anybody else experienced this? If so, how did you get back to normal?......Thanks for your help

Hi Rose,

First of all I'd like to welcome you and congratulate you on your NED dx. Thats wonderful. Unfortunately, I know that feeling your describing only too well. I don't know how anyone can be "normal" after hearing that you have LC, but there is a "New Normal" that does take its place. I truely enjoy every day more than I ever did before. I appreciate things more than ever. I look at people, things, sunsets, rainy days, sunny days, etc. in a whole new way. In a way, this "new normal" is a better place to be, if only I could have had it without having to get LC.

In other words, take it day by day. You just can't worry about what may or may not happen. You're wasting time and that's just too precious.

:D

Joan

Just read your post. Although I didn't have a lung removed, in December I had an emergency operation to correct bleeding in my lung where the tumor used to be. It seems it is a rare occurance, but they were able to patch me up after 4 tries. I came out of the hospital after about 23 days and have been at home recuperating since then. I noticed that at first I wasn't too stressed, just very glad to be home. Then at the beginning of March, my hair started getting thinner and thinner. The doctor says this is a stress reaction to the operations in December. I was surprised, but apparently delayed stress does happen to your body & mind. I was shakey for a while. I take Xanax when I feel stressed and it does help. Talk to your doctor about medication. There is alot out there that can help. You don't need to suffer. Lots of luck in healing.

Joanie ((()))

Don't worry Be Happy?! I think this might help. YOu are in a good place being free. Stress is not good for cancer. Everybody else hit the nail on the head. Welcome and ask away we will give you the best answer we can.

Welcome Rose,

You ARE a very lucky gal..................and I am sure you know that. I, too, suffer from the exact stress you mention. I'm not sure just what to do about it ~ except hope that with some more time we may find we are troubled less and less.

To be cancer free (NED) is the utmost. Congratulations and be sure to hang around with us.

Kasey

Hallo all!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I know I am very lucky that my cancer was found early - I just can't shake this lingering doubt about "what if", especially since my ex-husband died on 10/2805 after his 20 month struggle with lympoma.

Guess I have to make myself think possitive thoughts and keep reading the success postings.

Bless you all...

Rose

Hi Rose: I would like to extend my condolences on the passing of your ex.

Yes, you are lucky to have a shot at the surgical cure.

We all have to deal with the what if fears to one degree or another. I always kept it at the back of my mind until it was ct scan report time.

Unfortunately for me, my cancer has come back twice after an upper left lobectomy over 2 years ago. but I feel good now and am enjoying my life. After my next treatment, I will be NED again because I have only one tumor to kill. But I will certainly enjoy my days as I have them. I guess you just have to acknowledgw whatever level of fear you have, like an observation, and then pet the cat or smell the flower or enjoy your meal.

Don M

Hi Rose...My name is Pam...I also am a Lung C survivor and had a right top lobetomy just a few months before you...Sept 04

At first..after the intial shock I was glad to get home...but then the new norm start to set in with the 'what if's"....

I hear you loud and clear and I am hearing myself coming from you...I have the same fears and worries...I try and try to feel normal but just so hard...

Every little belly ache or headache or feeling sluggish some day'...there goes my brain working over time again...

Rose I just think we have to continue praying and give thanks to the Lord for he was so good to us...I was Stage 1A with no further involements and no furthur treatments....I dread scan time when it come...

Rose I could go on and on but if you want to talk further ...please feel free to email me at joeymygrand@webtv.net

Stay well and God Bless...Pam

Welcome Rose,

There are many of us here that feel exactly or very close to what you are feeling. I, too, started getting more anxious after my surgery & chemo, around the one year mark and before every check-up. That is about when I joined here and everyone has helped me immensely. No one seems to really understand as well as those that "walk" there too. Your feelings and fears are validated here. Yes, every ache & pain makes us worry and some of us can just "feel" the cancer actually spreading inside ourselves. I know that I felt better knowing that I wasn't just feeling sorry for myself or crazy when everyone told me how they felt also. Some people put into actual words, what you are feeling and that helps too. I am also on 2 anti-depressants and Xanax, and those help too. Stick with us, you'll be glad you did. Patty