You Better Eat

Don

Some of you know that I am a phone buddy with another group and I have noticed something that needs to be address. Eating. If you are the caregiver or the patient and you seem to lack that get up and go think about your eating habits. I know that after chemo lots of foods taste like metal but use plastic forks and spoons and if you have to go rinse your mouth out with whatever then go eat. Remember my fat cow theory: A fat cow never dies just the skinny ones. Yes it is a joke but there is alot of truth to it. I was reading a post of someone taking their mom home and it was alittle depressing and I can understand that but what a opportunity to go visit the country cafe and get the fattest juicy cheeseburger and fries. Yeah I know its not good for you but who cares. Lets fix the mind by bringing back some old but good things.

Remember this, if you dont eat then its a feeding tube in your belly that you have to clean, cant rollover in bed, and the crap you have to pour down it. When my doc said that I went and gain 40 lbs on ice cream, malts, watermelons, and the milk drinks. I lost 10 lbs of that but am working on it.

Well I hope you find this helpful in some way and please remember when you drink water think, I am washing my cancer away.

God Bless

Don

Thanks, Don. You are so right about the eating. We have discussed that topic here many times and we are pretty much in accord that eating is so important, regardless of taste or lack of hunger. The caregiver needs to press on the patient that they need to eat. We have found that small snacks every 2-3 hours is more successful than trying to stay on a 3 squares diet. It also tends to keep the nausea down. Good to see your pic. Don

I won't disclose how many pounds I gained since treatment. It is difficult to gripe about something so trivial. The important point is that I am a fat cow. Oh happy, happy me, I'm happy as can be!

It is true about eating. There was a study done that showed that those who kept their weight on, lived longer than those who didn't. I got that lecture at my second onc. visit and I was determined not to drop a single pound! I am almost off the steroids...down to 8mg. prednisone/day. So, I just know that I will melt to my old svelt shape in no time.

Good reminder, Don!

Cindi o'h

This is my biggest battle with Alan. He lost 60 pounds during treatment and

trying to fatten him up has been a challenge. He recently lost 10 pounds and

was back down to 164, then back up to 174 and now back down to 168. :shock::?

Getting him to eat is like pulling teeth :x

I like your diet idea and have had no problem to date with not feeling like eating. I do generally still eat a healthy diet but I have added more pasta and more ice cream. To date, I've lost a few lbs - but I'm actually at my (overweight) precancer weight.

I was at the hospital for treatment one day and a man who was there with his wife (a very thin woman) started telling everyone in the waiting room that I was going to do just fine, look at how "robust" i was. He keeps trying to fatten up his wife. Funny thing was I wasn't even embarrassed, I felt for the guy who just wanted to help his wife.

Mary

We are all for the fattening up concept here too. Tony had lost 18 pounds before diagnosis and I read that statistics show a better survival rate if you are able to keep the weight up. He's done great by drinking plenty of milk shakes, etc. Right now he is on a "pie bender". His weight goes up and down. We worry when it's down, but as long as he is able to re-gain, we feel allright. (Suffice to say that my weight has only gone UP since we began this journey. :? ) Our only problem has been trying to determine a "base weight" for him amidst all the fluid retention issues.

Welthy

Gotta love all your replies. Am so glad for all that can keep their weight and for those that cant please try harder and harder. I know how tough it is, been there done that, and some days it would take all day to drink one shake but it gets better.

Drink those fluids and always say I am washing my cancer away.

God Bless

Don

All of you have made some interesting points about weight. I have lost some weight and I am having a heck of a time trying to put it back on. I eat three meals a day, but not as much as I use to. I have been making shakes with ice cream and weight gaining powder I bought. Trouble is it gives me cramps and gas. I will keep trying to gain the weight back, but it's hard. Someone mentioned eating little snacks several times a day. I also find that hard to do. Well anyway, good post and so true.