Moderators

misspiggy

Hi I have been reading a lot of the emails from people in the different forums and I notice that a moderator or two reads most all of the emails. Isn't that hard on a person to hear all of the sad stories as well as happy with some of the good and up lifting stories. I have tried to read a few and I get so sad and teary-eyed that I have to quit. How do you do it moderators?

Miss Piggy

Yes, it gets hard- yes it is heartbreaking. I don't know how I do it-- sometimes I read but I don't have two words to put together to answer. Often I feel useless. I am in awe of people that seem to be able to answer most posts and make complete sense (like Don Wood).

I keep coming back because this place works for me. I have lived with cancer for 13 years, done several support groups, and found this is the one where I get the most support.

Has it been hard? Sometimes yes, for sure. We have lost many special people, but I am always find myself feeling blessed for having known them, and that is without ever laying eyes on them. I have learned so much about living here.

Cancer is a nasty disease, no doubt. I spent many many days in the depths of dispair. But this is the place, I have found, where my feelings are accepted no matter what.

Two things also helped me personally with my lung cancer--anti depressents and a very good therapist who specializes in women's cancers.

gail

I am not a moderator but I do read each post. I don't respond a lot because I feel at times I am not the best with words. If I can add something that someone has not answered then I post. Why do I read them all...because I care. When I was first dx I looked to anybdy that I could that could answer my questions. I want to be able to maybe help someone along the way. Helping with the cookbook was good for me. I felt like I was giving something that was needed.

Kinda got off subject here but that is why I come here. We are all on this roller coaster together and we need each other.

My story is that I lost the Love of my life after fighting for almost 3 years and 9 years of happiness actually 10 we lived 1 year together. I am on something of a mission and If I can help someone in any way I will. I would love to see a cure some day and this is a way to help and support those who came before me and Come now after me.

Oh Miss Piggy!!!

I cannot begin to articulate how important it is for me to be here. Like Gail mentioned, my life too has been blessed by some very special people who are no longer here with us. And I honor them by continuing to be here for others. But I am here also because of 3 very special ladies who, because this site was here and they responded to me, literally saved my life.

Some of the stories make me weep with sadness, but others make me weep for joy.........and those are the ones that sustain me.

We are so glad to be here for you and to read your psots!

Kasey

I'm not a moderator, but have decided to be one of the first lifelong charter members.

There are heartbreaking stories here, there are uplifting stories here.

I found this place when I started reading statistics of those who die of this disease. It seems all the medical pages stress how many people DIE - and my brain started to scream at me - WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 15%?? WHERE ARE THEY?! My next search was simply for lung cancer survivors - and here's where I landed.

I'm here because what I really needed to hear when I was diagnosed was someone who had "been there, done that" and was still alive to tell me about it. I know from the statistics and other signs that not everyone that gets the disease lives through it, and some of the deaths hit me harder than others, but I'm here. This place gave me so much when I was lower than I have ever been in my life. If I can help just one person, it's worth all the tears and heartache of reading all the posts.

I'm here and stay here because at the lowest point of my life to date--when I watched my Mom slip away day by day, these folks carried me. How could I walk away from such amazing people? As a moderator I hope in some small way I can offer the same support to someone else. It's my way of saying thank you and 'paying it forward.'

Miss Piggy,Like the others have said it is hard often times to read the posts.Many times it does bring tears to even the toughest of people.And there have been many very special people here that we have lost.

When this journey started for me I still remember how scared and how much I didn't know about any of this.The drs. wouldn't go in any depth to answer questions or explain most things.

The members here took the time and listened and explained and cared and helped.I am always honored to be a moderator here as it gives me the chance to sometimes give back to what has been a lifesaver to me.

Also I have been blessed to make special friendships with many wonderful people.

I have been living with lung cancer for 36 years, having lost my dad, mom, and sister to it. Then I was dx.d with it 11 years ago.

There is good and bad, happy and sad in all we do in life, and I guess it's no different here at LCSC. I do what I do because I want to offer HOPE to those fighting this battle, and I want to hold a hand of someone who may need me to during there travels. This journey is very doable, it's not one I would wish on anyone, but it sure is DOABLE and I am living proof of that!

I also know that most of the people on this board read most if not all of the different Forum, it's not just the moderators that do that. We do it because we get to know one another and we form a friendship because we support one another and we need one another. So therefore I like to keep in touch and keep up on what is happening to all my friends here at LCSC, good, bad, or indifferent, and I guess that means I have to read all the posts that are posted. :cry::):wink:

I'm not a moderator, but I read all the posts and respond basically the same as luvmydog2. I don't answer when I don't have any experience on the topic or can't add anything to what has already been posted...and sometimes, I just don't know what to say.

Yes, it can be hard to read some of the posts at times -- this journey is hard and unpredictable by it's very nature. But, there's the reward in helping someone else perhaps not have such a rough time as you had when you overcame a particular hurdle that they are now dealing with.

Basically I view it as a priveledge to be able to provide information, caring, hope, and the support that entails in an area that seems so not supported in the world at large right now. We are like family here in lots of ways.

Linda

I am not a moderator either, but I too read almost every post...unless my computer bleeps out on me. I too find it so hard, but I have met some amazing people here, who have supported me in ways they never know. I have shared this site with so many people, used information in here to help some of my students quit smoking, find help, and learn more about lung cancer.

When I found this site I couldn't believe what an amazing group of people are here...I still believe this today. I know if I have any question, or need anything, I could place a post, and get info. I hope I am not being selfish in that expectation...I just know it would happen!

I wonder how the moderators become moderators. This is something I can see myself doing in the future.

God bless you all! Post away!

Jen

For me its really hard to read many post, many times I have wanted to desperately reply to someone in need and the words just wont come together however there is always someone who reaches out and I am so grateful to those. I dont post much any more but I am still here once or twice a day reading the forums that I moderate.

Many times when I see a subject title that I think is not good news I take a couple deep breathes before clicking and proceed, its hard but I feel I owe them the respect to read.

Then there are the post that make me smile, especially the survivors that have beat the odds and are here to talk about it.

Many times I just tell myself I have to do what I have to do..

Good post, thanks for asking...