Hello

spirithawk06

I am an 18 year old college student at LSU. My dad was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. He is 38 years old and the cancer is still in the limited stage. The doctors aren't telling my parents much about what is going on and they are too tired of the endless rounds of doctor visits to find out. I have been doing a bit of research and stumbled upon this site. So far, everyone has been very helpful and I am most grateful. Any more information you can give me would be extremely helpful.

Hi, and welcome. If your dad has limited sclc, that is good news. That means it should be contained. Keep us posted on his progress and let us know how we may support you. Each case is different, so we need specific questions from you to be able to help. My wife and I lived in Baton Rouge 1970-74. We now live in Houston. Don

The doctors thought it was a cyst but we found out later that it was the cancer that was blocking his lung.

They are against surgery because they say it will spread. What are the odds of it spreading and would it be worth the risk if chemo and radiation do not work?

The cancer is 14 cm right now and it is only in the top part of his lung so far. They are testing to see if there is cancer anywhere else in his body but so far so good.

Welcome Spirithawk,

Please try not to worry too much as this is containable. There is so much they can do for him, they just have to fine the right treatment and there are many out there.

I know how scared you are but please know that this is NOT a death sentence, so many here have walked in your dad shoes and they are doing fine.

We are always here to answer your questions or to give you support and prayers if you need it.

Take care honey, and try not too worry too much, hopeful school will keep you busy. Study hard sweetie and make your dad proud of you.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi and welcome Spirithawk,

So sorry for what you are going through. I know every once of worry and anxiety you are enduring. Be assured that there are many successful treatment options available for your Dad. He is extremely young and that will serve him well during his fight.

Please ignore numbers and crap on the internet, they mean NOTHING! Most everything I came across while researching my Dads lung cancer was negative. It's out of date and bases solely on large numbers. Your Dad is NOT a number!

The only good thing that came out of my searching was this community of amazing people who not only have great knowledge - most of them are survivors!

Stay strong and lean on this board for advice and inspiration. I do, and honestly... I would be a disaster without these people.

My VERY best to you and your family,

-Rod

Welcome Spirithawk,

I am very sorry about your dad's diagnosis. Rod is right about there being many successful treatment options out there for him. I have been sucessfully treated with chemotherapy for my cancer (which is non-small cell)that had already spread outside of my lung. I also have a brother with small cell extensive stage who is currently in treatment and is doing very well! Your father is young and strong and can beat this! He is very lucky to have you in his corner. Hang in there and stay strong. I will keep you and your dad in my prayers.

Sharon

Hello Spirithawk and welcome

I am sorry you had need to find a site like this but glad you have joined us.

As you can see there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this board who are more than willing to help you along this journey. Please ask any questions you have and know that someone here will have some great advice for you.

Sending you and your family prayers and best wishes,

Chris

I'm so sorry that you and your family are having to face this, but rest assured that limited sclc is not always a death sentence.

I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago and have been in remission for over 4 years, there is no sign of cancer anywhere in my body and I have now been pronounced cured of this cancer. There is a very good chance that your Dad will have the same outcome as me, I'm not the only one here who has survived long term so take heart.

Please don't dispair, the statistics mean absolutely nothing - if they did there would be precious few of us here to answer your posts - I am living proof that this can be a beatable disease.

Please take a deep breath, you're all reeling from the news right now but it will all become clear and then decisions can be made.

Take care

Geri

Hi And Welcome. The diagnosis of cancer is so overwhelming that some need time to accept. To the extent that you can, it's great for you to be an advocate - but you also need to take care of yourself.

The board can offer helpful suggestions and there is a lot of knowledge borne from experience.

mary

He was diagnosed last Thursday and they started radiation yesterday and he is undergoing chemo as

I type this. He has pneumonia but they said that they won't hold off on the chemo because if they do he will just get worse.

It took about two months of tests to diagnose him with cancer because all the tests kept coming back negative but one of the doctors kept ordering more tests because he was certain that it was cancerous. We were aggravated then but now we are grateful that he kept insisting on more tests.

One of the first things my dad said when he found out that he had cancer was that he was not letting me quit college.

I mentioned organizing a walk for Lung Cancer and Autism Awareness and my mom's first reaction was that I needed to worry about my school work first. I have a lot of free time in between classes that I need to fill so time to organize it isn't a problem for me. I just wish there was more I could do for my family.

Thank you for all your support and information. I think my mom sounded interested in seeing this site and I will encourage her to join.

Welcome Spirithawk:

It was nice getting to talk with you in chat last night. Your parents are very lucky to have you in their corner. And, best of luck to you on organizing a walk at your campus!

I don't have any experience with SCLC, but my understanding from being on this board is that it responds very well to treatment (better than NSCLC).

Everyone (understandably) goes into shock and overwhelm mode when first diagnosed -- then things begin to come into clarity once those initial scans are done and a treatment plan is put in place. I wish doctors were more forthcoming with information! In the meantime, with the whole family in shock right now, perhaps your parents could ask one question of the doc. next time (until the family can regroup a bit) and that would be: "What should I be asking you that I don't know to ask you yet?" and get his or her response(s) to that -- that question has worked for me in the past until I could get up to speed with what I was dealing with.

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

Linda

Spirithawk,

Welcome to the boards. I am so sorry that you need to be here, and that your dad had his diagnosis, but I agree with the others...limited SCLC is a good thing. SCLC is a fast growing cancer, but it also responds to chemo well, and therefore starting treatment right away is a good thing. Check out my bio as my dad is in remission from SCLC...this can be beat!! Stay strong, and you are doing the right thing by finding out information. Every cancer is different, but there are many here who have ideas.

God bless,

Jen

School first Walk second. Glad To be of help with anything you need. Glad to hear chemo and everything is rolling along. If I can help let me know. Sending Prayers

Spirithawk,

I just wanted to jump in here and welcome you to the group. When someone is initially diagnosed , it can be very confusing until they go through all the scans and the doctors decide what is best in this case. One thing to bear in mind.. every case of lung cancer is as different as the person who has it. So much depends on the extent of the cancer and the general overall health of the patient. I would think that your Dad's age would be in his favor. He is so very young. As you learn more, create a profile of your Dad's case. It will help. We are here for you.

Sue

Hello Spirithawk-What an awesome young man you must be to research enough to find this board filled with awesome souls. I only just got here myself and wished that I had known about this place at the beginning of my mom's journey with LC.

I echo the sentiments of the others here-DO NOT listen to any of the time frames they give you, there are so many variables and no one can put a number on your dad's fight and strength.

Do some research on essiac tea if you can, it helped my mom a lot with side-effects of treatment. It may be a good option for you.

I send you my heartfelt prayers and please let me know if there is anything I can Help you all with.

Peace and Blessings! Melissa

Welcome Spirithawk. It is great that your Dad's doctor is so good to have kept hunting! Many go on for many months of pneumonia that just won't "clear" up before their doctors start looking for some other cause.

In our local support group we have several with SCLC who have had treatment and now have had "No evidence of disease" or stability for 5 - 7 years so far!

Keep us posted.

Donna G

Dad was feeling good this morning. He said he was actully able to sleep last night. His first day of chemo went without a hitch and today he goes for classes and another round of chemo and radiation.

It was good to hear the cheerfulness in his voice again when I talked to him on my way to class.

My friend talked to a volunteer organization that she joined. I am going to join tonight and they said they would be more than happy to help organize the walk. We will have a better chance of pulling it off with a major group on campus backing us up. They loved the idea and want to help. So things are looking good for the walk.

I have a large break in between classes right now and I am not going home until after my next class so I am going to get my math lab done so I can focus on organizing information for the walk tonight and not have to worry about homework. I am making sure that I get my school work done before I do anything for the walk.

I just feel like I need to do something. I can't be back home helpng with my dad so I need something to do that is worthwhile and something that lets me know that I am making a difference.

But anyway, so far so good with Dad.