well I just thought I was paranoid

Mskim

I went in for a routine chest xray YESTERDAY (as you know my mom had lung cancer and I am an ex smoker) and today they called to tell me I have suspicous nodules on my lungs and need to have a ct scan tomorrow. I wont get results back until next week. I am a 36 year old mother of 3 young children.

I am just not sure how much more I can take.

Oh I am sorry you are going through this. As you know from reading all the messages here many times nodules are nothing-- so hopefully that is the case. Ask your doctor's office about getting the results to you sooner--you shouldn't have to wait a week.

Well, Kim. I guess at least you had the chest Xray. I always think that if I had one, I'd be diagnosed wth LC too. My grandma, my mom...

I don't think we're paranoid, just informed. Well, maybe it is paranoia bc the thought of having such a test scares the hell out of me.

I hope to God that this is nothing and that it goes away.

Kim,

We just talked in a PM and I said I would post what I learned last week about the multiple nodules. I would be hypocritical to say not to worry b/c we all know how I would react, so I won't even go there.

However, having just had a pulmo consult on the multiple nodules, I learned that:

1. Many many things can cause multiple nodules, such as fungeses and infection, and they can cause no symptoms

2. Lung cancer more typically would appear as 1 nodule, not many

3. For my dad, 1 nodule looked different than the rest, that is the one biopsied. I asked the pulmo if my dad came in with the multiple nodules and not the 1 different looking one, would the other nodules be cause for concern. He said no, they could just be areas of inflamation b/c they don't look hard and don't have the appearance of cancer.

So as others said, it could be many things and not the worst fear.

Try your best to get in with a pulmonologist, or even if you can get the consult sooner for peace of mind, a thoracic surgeon. So often they can give you many many more answers b/c they can tell a lot by just the appearance. Radiology reports do not tell a full story at all. Make calls tomorrow, be pushy, be like I am 36, my mom had lung cancer, I am freaking out, blah blah.

Also tomorrow, see if they can burn you a copy of the CD to take with you right away so you have it to bring to any appointment you may have.

Keep us posted!

More info Kim: I am talking to my parents on the phone right now. We are talking about different lung things and just how weird my dad's case is.

Anyway, my dad just learned this over the weekend. He has a good friend in NY who was his co-worker, the wife is an oncologist (a bit of an anxious person like me actually :) ) The friend is young, in his early 40s, a few years ago they found multiple nodules in both lungs on a routine xray, he was worked up for cancer, and my dad does not know what the name of his ailment was, but he was just on steroids for 6 months and all was well.

Kim,

I won't tell you not to worry, cos you will and thats only natural... what I will say to you is that there is NO WAY I would wait a week for a CT.... the doc knows what you just went through with your Mom right??? Just call him up and tell him you absolutely cannot wait... I have done this myself with abnormal mammograms and they always find a way to squeeze me in. I don't think its fair to make you sit and ponder this any longer than you have to!!

Please keep us posted and I am praying this turns out to be absolutely nothing at all!!! Love, Sharon

I had the CT (that was insane, when mom said the imaging dye makes you feel like you are on fire and peeing your pants she was not exaggerating!) Friday and just have to wait today for results and will post them as soon as I get them. I had a weird weekend, I went from absolutely not thinking about it at times to wondering if I would have hair at Christmas.

Thanks for everyone's kind thoughts and prayers, I for the first time added myself to the prayers this weekend.