Help diagnosis needed

blaze100

I've been having problems sleeping lately. My heart feels like it's flipping and I have general discomfort in front of my chest. Only notice it when I go to bed and the house gets quiet.

I went to ER last week and they said EKG was perfect and blood work was OK..no signs of heart attack. They thought it was gastric and told me to take prilosec. It hasn't helped much.

Last night, as my chest was flopping away, I got to thinking that there could be some kind of tumor growing near my heart causing these problems. :?

I have appts with cardiologist and pulmonologist in the next month. All my scans are up-to-date and were OK, but maybe I should do another scan.

Has anyone here had similar experience caused by a tumor? Barb

My dad has this somewhat, and we are certan it is stressed induced. He has been tested, and only after a sleep-apnea test did they tell him he would be ok, but to always have his meds for a possible onset of heart attack. I don't really know, but I would keep checking on it...our tickers are pretty important!

Good luck!

Jen

Definately get it checked to be on the safe side. Just want to let you know that I have had the same symptoms and they were anxiety relaetd. (I know, I can just envision the shock on your faces :shock: )

It felt just like flip flops and also palpatated. It was soooo uncomfortable. It lasted a few weeks. I get episodes every once in awhile.

Hi Barb,

I don't have LC, but I do get this very symptom almost every night of my life when I get into bed.

Like you, I went and got many tests done, they all came back clear. I was told it is stress/anxiety and perhaps also caused by indigestion.

I will hope and pray that it's nothing more serious, I'm sure that it's not.

Best,

-Rod

Barb,

After taking all the tests and hearing they are all clear, I vote for anxiety. Talk to your primary care physician and check into anti-anxiety medication. I find the quiet times to be the times the monsters start to surface. When the monsters surface, I break out the Xanax and take an Ambien before I go to bed. Shuts those darn monsters up and lets me sleep. I've had the same bottle of both medications for three years now, only taking them when the elephants sits on my chest and my life starts spiraling.

Part of anxiety is feeling totally out of control of your life. Find ways to take that control back. Exercise is a good way to get rid of those monsters, too.

Good luck!

Guest LisainFlorida

Hi...I too experienced your same kind of symptoms. Have you had your thyroid checked out. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I now take meds for it and it helps a lot. I was also told that stress/anxiety can cause these symptoms too.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Lisa

Thanks guys. Some good ideas. Cindi was right on, like a crappie on ice.

Last night it started again. Hubby snoring away, and I'm flipping away. So instead of reaching for the antacids, I got a xanex.

Sensations stopped within 10 minutes and I had no problem falling asleep.

I exercise about 50 minutes everyday since the stents. Got my lipid panel back yesterday, total cholesterol is 114. And I've lost about 40 lbs since stents, only 60 lbs more to go. :D:shock::D I have the nuclear stress test on 27th. I've been in contact with heart office nurse and see the nurses in cardiac rehab every week.

I'm thinking about that hyperthyroid suggestion too. This has been checked several times, but am told it is difficult to diagnose.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. Barb

Just an update. After several nights of skipping and fluttering, I finally decided that it might be something that I'm eating everyday.

So... yesterday I cut out all soda pop, nuts, licorice, and those cocoa via superdark chocolate covered almonds (the only chocolate cardiac rehab allows us to eat :( )

Guess what? Slept like a baby last night. So now just have to narrow it down a bit more, but I am so happy it was something so simple. :D

Barb

Barb,

I jsut saw this post and was going to tell you to cut down on your caffeine, but by the time I finished reading, your problem has pretty much been solved! :)

I used to drink about 2 coffee pots of coffee a day until one day, I had a mad fluttering and flip-flopping and thought i was dying. Doctor said that it was from caffeine. So the last 14 years, I can only have one cup of coffee in the morning, one in the late afternoon and NO sodas containing caffeine, and be careful with the chocolates. If I somehow lose the balance, I end up having palpitations and flutterings. Also, stress does bring them on.

When I was recuperating from surgery, I was getting the "heart turning over" ones all night long. I kept asking the nurses about them because they still scare me, and they kept saying not to worry, they were monitoring me, and they weren't the 'bad' palpitations.