New...and freaked out

dawn79

Hello everyone! I am so glad I found something like this. I know I've got tons of support from my family, friends, and coworkers, but none of them know what I am going through, so this is just what I need!

My name is Dawn. I'm 27 years old. A few weeks ago, my mom was sent to the ER and the diagnosis was pneumonia. While taking chest x-rays, the dr's noticed something that wasn't quite right. The diagnosis was LC, and we're waiting on the biopsy results to see what stage it is, so as far as the LC goes, that's all I know.

While waiting, I'm truly praying for the best and expecting the worst. Just since she got out of the hospital a few weeks ago, she's experiencing major shortness of breath and gets winded extremely easily. I don't know what's normal, what's not, what I should be scared about, what can be fixed, etc. so I'm sorry if I ask a lot of questions.

All I really know is this SUCKS. I am too young to be dealing with this. My boyfriend and I are going to be getting engaged and I feel guilty for even one second of happiness I get from it because I know my mom is sick. I'm scared this thing is going to take her from me before she can see me get married. Or I'm scared she'll be too sick to attend. I'm scared that she's going to be in pain. And I'm scared to lose her. BUT...I'm also a big believer in miracles. I'm really praying for one right now!

Dawn,

Welcome! Take a minute and breathe! Lung Cancer is very scary but there a lot of suvivors so don't think the worse.There are alot of people here who have tons on knowledge so take it and use it to ask the Doctor questions. I didn't find this board until after my Dad passed away but I truly believe if I had known some of the things I learn here thing might have been different..

((HUGS))

THINK POSITIVE!!!!

Michele

Welcome Dawn!

One of the hardest.......if not THE hardest thing about LC is the waiting game. Many of the veterans here will tell you that it ALWAYS is difficult to deal with. So for now, you must step back for the moment, take many deep breaths, and not put the cart before the horse until you know exactly what you and your mom will be dealing with. And I know that is much easier said than done!

In the meantime.............come here and read the MANY encouraging stories of those of us who have been handed a grim diagnosis and are STILL HERE loving our lives!

Stay with us and we will help you walk this walk!

Kasey

Hi and welcome dawn79,

So sorry for all that you are going through. You have found a wonderful place for advice, inspiration from many survivors and good old fashioned venting.

When this started with my Dad I had the very same feelings you are experiencing. I was told i would feel better once Dad had a solid treatment plan and you know what? I did and I do !

Don't feel any guilt. Your Mom has a better than good chance of being at your wedding and watching her Grand Children grow up.

Cancer is NOT a death sentence! There are many, MANY people on this board to support this fact.

I wish the very best for you and your family, and remember.... No matter what, your Mom would always want you to be happy!

Stay strong, stay positive, relax, and lean on your faith, the Doctors and the great people on this message board.

Warmest regards,

-Rod

Dawn,

First of all .... don't you dare start putting your life on hold or that engagement!!! Second phnemonia will give you shortness of breath etc. it's a normal occurance within that illness alone.

In the coming days you will find yourself here wanting and waiting to see what each person knows or can offer. There are alot of people to offer alot of good advice both medically and mentally .... but as a rule. Everyone reacts and progresses differently to the treatments available. What may work for one may not work for your Mom. That's not to be discouraging cause "it did work" for someone else here.

Depending on the diagnosis and the stage she is in it's imparative you don't stop the good from coming. So get engaged ... and with all the stars shining ... get married. The main rule for any family member is one good thing is one good thing NOT missed by your Mom who has to endure this illness..... That is a huge insentive for getting her threw any treatment to come. What is not to love than the sight of a man pledging his love to YOUR daughter .... come on!!!! That's a serious GURL thing!!! Even for Mom's! :P

Your mind will swirl with questions and answers, no one can stop that from coming. But it will end and your thoughts will settle ........ Good luck to your MOM.

Tammy

Dawn,

Welcome, you will find all the support we can give you here. When you are first diagnosed it is always frightening. I had one of the worst prognoses; stage IV with a pleural effusion inoperable and no radiation. I was told that there was no cure and that the chemo would make me very sick. Well here I am 15 months later. I am cancer free and I never had a sick day. I just thank the Lord for all of it.

My daughter is a little older than you, but what a help she was and still is. As a survivor I think that if you keep your plans don’t feel guilty and be part of your mom’s team, she will feel best. I felt the more plans I had the harder I would fight.

Your mom will have more tests before they will know the best action to take. There are many new drugs and treatments that have had very good results.

Praying is a good thing to do. I had many people praying for me and it is good to know.

Keep us posted and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Use the PM or e-mail if you do not want to post it.

Stay positive,

Ernie

Dawn while you are waiting on those tests, do me a favor, and read Survivors and good news Forums. Not a lot of them but some of them. Lots of Hope and support in them. Keep us posted. Keep a notebook for all your info. Pocket Organizer is great for test times, results, appointments, and questions for oncologist or us. Do not believe statistics either.Keep us posted and sending prayers.

Hi Dawn and welcome,

Sorry you had the need to find us - but I hope we can be helpful. Do not be sorry for your happiness -I can assure you your mother wants your happiness more than her own - so be happy for her.

Being scared is okay too, but know that many of us have been around for a fairly long time with our diagnosis. Many have little by way of pain or feeling ill. Chemo has come a long way.

Stay poitive, let your mother have a chance to take it all in - it's more overwhelming for her than you.

It's okay to be sad, but then get past that and enjoy every moment.

Good luck.

Mary

Dawn- Sorry you have to be here...but it is the best place to vent, get answers, do research and share. I know what you are going through--I could totally relate to your post as my beautiful Mom was recently diagnosed. But it is true, you WILL feel better once you have the cancer staged and a treatment plan in place. Until then, take it day by day--and know that you and your family will get through this. And remember, you have this place for yourself when you need it. In my prayers....Candy

Hello Dawn and welcome

You have gotten some great advice here already so I cannot add much more to that. I will say, stay positive and take things as they come. One day, hour, minute at a time. This can be and in most cases is a very overwhelming time. One great suggestion that I can offer you and mom is to get a small notebook and document EVERYTHING.. From appointments, to what the doctors tell you, tests, test results and most importantly, any and all questions you will have. The appts can be so much to take in that questions and concerns you may have are easily forgotten.

Let us know how we can help you, even if it is only to listen.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom,

Chris

Hi Dawn,

You have already gotten some great advice from the others here. I just wanted to welcome you to the boards and offer my prayers for you and your mother. This is a great place to get support during this very scary time for you and mom. Hang in there and stay strong! We are all here for you.

God Bless,

Sharon

Hi Dawn,

Sorry you had the need to hunt us down, but welcome to the board.

First of all you need to stop and take a deep breath. I know how shocked you are to hear the word...Cancer. Everyone of us here remembers when the doctor said CANCER.

Sience you don't know for sure what type or stage, don't borrow trouble. It could be early stage or it could be late stage. Slow down and get a plan of attack in place. There are plenty of us here that will travel this journey with you. We will cry with you or laugh with you, whichever you need.

Don't feel guilty about getting engaged. I am sure your mother would want that for you. Also don't let her see you fall apart. Come here as you need to and keep us posted on any updates. Good Luck. :)

Dawn,

I'm sorry you are going through this and are in need of this internet site, but I wanted to welcome you. As others have said so well, Cancer is not a death sentence and people are surviving. Stay strong for your mother and don't feel guilty about enjoying your life.

I have a 13 year old daughter and having her continue life as usual is very Therapeutic for me, it gives me stuff to think about besides my cancer. Your mom will want you to continue your life as usual.

Lilly

Hi Dawn. welcome to this site. I hope your mom's treatment can begin soon and then you all can settle into a routine. If you are going to be tracking your mom's medical stuff, you should ask her to sign a document giving you permission to have access to her medical records. Maybe she would rather do it herself. I track all my stuff and am kind of fussy about how it is done. You, your mom and the rest of your family have my prayers.

Don M

Hi Dawn,

I am so sorry for your moms diagnosis. But please know the LC is NOT a death sentence. They have come such a long way and there are so many treatments out there that could help her.

If you are not satisfied with what the doctor tells her always go for a 2nd opinion or a 3rd if you have too.

I know how scared you are as this should be one of the happiest times of your life and now you have this to deal with.

Do not feel quilty for your happy times. Your mom would not want you to be a burden to you. Just be very positive around her.

We are here for you, for any questions you may have, if you need support, prayers or if you just want to vent.

You will gain a lot of knowlege here. Keep the faith as it has moved many a mountain.

Keep us posted on her condition. And please if you take anything away from these posts is it is NOT a death sentence. Please relax and see what the next step is.

Maryanne