Question About Frequency of SCANS

Sis

Requesting some feedback, Please.

I read on many bios that most cancer patients are receiving MRIs, CT or PET scans quite frequently. Since my sister's diagnosis 6/06 she has received:

7/06: PET scan & MRI and 9/06: CT scan.

Her doctor has scheduled an x-ray for Nov. 9th. Nothing else prior to that.

It seems like she should be receiving these scans more frequently. How do the doctors know if her treatments are doing any good if testing is done so infrequently? Am I being too impatient? Is this timing normal?

I'm so glad I discovered this site. You all are such a tremendous help. Thanks as always for any info shared. Sis

My husband has CT scans approximately every 3 months. He gets a PET about once a year. If she had a scan 9/06 she shouldn't be due till December if her onc is scanning quarterly. I think most people are on a 3 month time line. I hope she does well with her treatment.

DEb was on a 3 month time line for scans. It is good that he is on top of things and just getting started is keeping tabs on things

My mom was and my dad is on a 3 month time line. Now that my mom is 3 years out as of this month and her scans were clean, her scans will be once a year.

My dad is newly diagnosed and he was told he will have two scans at 3 months intervals and then at 6 month intervals. Of course this is assuming all is stable.

I have scans every six weeks, for now. The first treatment I had was a clinical trial which called for scans every six weeks. The treatment I'm on now, chemo with Avastin, I also have scans every six weeks. I guess my doc just likes to know what's going on right away. He tells me if something is not working then we just move on. I'll have another set of scans after the final two rounds of chemo (one of which I've had already). If the scans show stable or improvement I will then go to a three month scan period. I've only had one PET scan, which was back in March, and one bone scan and one brain MRI, both done in April. I really don't know when I might get any of those again.

Hope this helps.

Tracy

depends on the doctor.

First one wanted scans every 3 months. At 2 years out, he up'ed it to 4 months.

Next doctor wanted them every 6 months.

(that was not acceptable to me)

This doctor I see now agrees every 3 months for me.

Also, if I am symptomatic, I get a scan, Including brain MRI. The doc will alternate chest, abdomen, pelvis with Chest alone. All with contrast as per my request and also high resolution, again, at my request. Most doctors will give lc pts. anything within reason. That has been my experience.

Cindi o'h

Mom my gets scanned every three months.

This beast can progress fast at times and her and onc and the family feel good about three months. Now, of course, if she were having things suddenly going on, she would get scans "off schedule".

I hope this helps!!

Depends on insurance too! Tony gets CAT and PET scans every three months faithfully. Has had interim x-rays when they suspected pneumonia a few times. This is just how our Doc works. I actually wish he'd do them more often sometimes as I can't stand not knowing, but he tells us that each different chemo needs time to work.

Welthy