still waiting to get started on treatment , what to expect ?

tdbones

I was given the new about having Lung Cancer,Had the procedures and biopsy done. This was an week ago and still waiting to get an appt with an doctor to start treatment. I know that I have an fight but i have not even discuss the plan and been explain the process.

Maybe there is an reason for the delay I don't know.

Terry Bones

(Bones)

Hi Bones and welcome to the board. I know you are in a very difficult place right now .... kinda of like being stuck between that proverbial rock and a hard place. Once you have a bit more information and a plan is in place to fight the beast you will most like feel better about the process. The hardest part is the waiting for information, tests and processes to begin. This time of year it just seems worse because folks are going out of town and everything seems slightly askew. The main thing is to keep a good attitude about the whole mess and please let us know more about the diagnosis and the plan when you find out.

Judy

Thet are busy. Do not worry they are getting to you as soon as the Oncologist can get to you. It is not unusual for a 1-2 week wait for 1st appointment and consultaion. Get all the fears out and think about the questions to ask. Grab a notebook or small organizer for notes and appointmnets and everything else you can think of. Let us know what the Onc says for a treatment and we can tell you our experiences with almost any combo they can think of. Do not be scared if your Onc says you have only so much time. They do not know and every one here has outlived at least 1 prediction from Oncologist. How long you have is just a statistic not the facts. Sending Prayers.

A week isn't a very long time, particularly if you are with a Cancer facility. Everyone there has cancer and they are all waiting for something. I had radiation for bone mets immediately upon diagnosis, but I was in pain. Chemo didn't startuntil a few months later. I use Moffitt and am very pleased with how they provide treatment. I also feel that when need be, I get the appt the next day - but if it can wait,I am fitted in when reasonable.

Good luck.

Mary

Terry,

Glad you found the site and were able to do a post. I think that you will find that you get a bigger response here than the other site. Ned and I both came from the other site. I still go back so I can help people like you. When you get more info you might consider posting on the Introduce Yourself forum. You may get a larger response. Keep us posted as you learn more.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Hi Bones,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I too had to wait. But in retrospect, those were good times. If you feel good enough, throw a party (that's what I did), or do all kinds of things you've been meaning to do (vacation, mueseums, visiting family). You might not have the energy to do these things once you start treatment. I would not be in a rush to start treatment, as I am sure you can expect gross chemotherapy. Get together with friends and family and start shoring up support.

Good luck and cool name by the way,

aaron

Hi Bones,

First, I'm truly sorry for your diagnosis. Amazing how this can just turn your world upside down with a few words.

It's a bear to have to wait to formulate a game plan, but pretty typical, especially at this time of year. Many, many people are squeezing in at the end of the year for insurance deductible purposes. Never understood that as you aren't going to magically stop seeing the Doctor next year if you have cancer! But that is what we keep hearing at the Doctor and hospital.

Keep us updated when you do have your visit and feel free to express anything you want on these boards. There are a huge number of very caring individuals just a keystroke away if you need them.

Warm regards,

Welthy

Thanks for caring and listening to me, I quess its the waiting to discuss an plan of action with an Oncologist. I'm off work as I feel tried most of the day. I get out but energy gets low. You can work with this thing called cancer right, I didn't see anyone one discuss how it relates to working and taking treatment.

"tdbones"]Thanks for caring and listening to me, I quess its the waiting to discuss an plan of action with an Oncologist. I'm off work as I feel tried most of the day. I get out but energy gets low. You can work with this thing called cancer right, I didn't see anyone one discuss how it relates to working and taking treatment.

You can work as long as feel like it. I worked all through my treatment. If I got tired which was not very often, I would go home. You might try a little exercise in the morning. You will be surprised it may actually give you more energy. Just do what you can.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

HI TDbones, I am so sorry this is happening to you. This is very hard waiting.....

Did your family doc give you prescription for Ambien and Xanax? You need to keep up your strength, and stress can really drag a person down.

I remember spending this time eating lots of good food, going on long walks....trying to get as strong as possible for the upcoming battle. :)

Good luck with the treatments. And if you haven't gotten around to it, please be sure to go in and see the family doc to fill them in on what's happening and to get the prescriptions. They may be able to get info sooner for you too.

Barb

Hi Bones, and welcome. I was also diagnosed Stage IIIB and am doing great 16 months after diagnosis. I never stopped working throughout my treatment, but I must admit I have wonderful employers who insisted I take off the Monday and Tuesday after my treatment on Fridays.

Good luck to you and I hope treatment is kind to you. You're in my prayers.

Trish

Hi Bone's and like everyone else i'm sorry you found us with the dreaded desease but your now one of the family here so welcome and never be afraid to ask as you will get the best advice here in the world from Veteran's of all this. As to how the treatment's will effect your ability to work, well that is on how well your body along with your mind deal's with it all. So GOD bless and hang in there......

Hello, Terry:

Welcome to the family of lung cancer survivors and their loved ones and caretakers. Sorry you have your lung cancer, but you have come to the right place to get support, encouragement, advice, and have us listen to your concerns.

What I don't see is whether or not you have an actual appointment with an oncologist yet? Normally, if a pulmonologist is involved, they refer you to an oncologist, who in turns sets up an appointment, which is given to you as to when and where.

If you have not been contacted by an oncologist for an actual appointment, even though it may require waiting a week or so, you need to contact the pulmonologist or whoever gave you the diagnosis, and get a definite appointment set up.

The sooner you get started on a treatment plan, the sooner the savage beast cancer can be fought.

Barb