MRI: How Often?

needhope

I never got one until after my third lung tumor. I had one a year ago. it was clear. I think I will ask about getting another one. After 3 cancers, they began to think it might be metastatic instead of a 3rd primary, so an mri was done. If I had metastases, I would want an mri at lest once a year.

Don M

My Mom had a PET scan upon diagnosis (only a few months ago). Her oncologist told us that her follow up tests would be a CT of the chest to look for changes in the tumor. I didn't ask why they weren't going to do a PET or MRI, but we have an appointment Friday - I'll ask then, and let you know what I find out.

Jen

My mom had a brain tumor and had Gamma knife on it Dec. 7th. Her dr. is doing MRIs every 6-8 weeks on her, from here on out. Maybe at some point they will back off, but they want to saty 'ahead of the game'.

I hate to say it, but I think this has more to do with insurance than needs. Mom has good coverage, so she may get more than some do. I'm thankful, but I wish it were available to all who need it!

:) Kelly

When I was first diagnosed, I had a CT of chest, abdomen, and MRI of spine and brain, as well as a bone scan. Then I relocated to Fl and went to Moffitt and had Pet Scan and chest ct. Because my original brain MRI showed mets, I had a follow up and radio surgey. Since then , I have an brain MRI every 3 months (tomorrow is my next one). And I have had 2 brain Pet Scans. These have mostly nbeen to assess the rdaio surgery results. I have also had a couple of spine MRIs but these were due to pain and preceeded radiation. And of course every 2 moths or so, I have a chest CT to see results of current treatment.

If a brain MRI hasn't been done, I would request one. If you had one and are clear, then annually would seem reasonable, unless you have symptoms that would warrant testing.

Mary

Rochelle, I went 18 months after diagnosis before getting my 2nd Brain MRI. That report showed multiple Brain mets and I was treated with WBR. I had very good insurance at the time and I feel like my former Onc (the one I terminated)should have requested one much earlier than when he did. Had I not had insurance, I feel sure the test would have never been done. The only reason he did order one was because I was showing symptoms. I feel that had he ordered it earlier, instead of ending up with multiple brain mets, I could have caught it early and been in the position to treat one or two mets. Yes, insurance has a lot(if not everything) to do with it. There was a Dr. on this board a couple of years ago that stated it was not cost effective to warrant brain MRi's on a request basis. How does the Dr. know if I have the money for an MRI or not. Needless to say, that did not sit with me too well. If I had it to do over again, I would demand one every 6 months. I feel for the ones that don't have insurance. Sad to say, but I know a person who didn't have insurance and he was offered basically nothing. He's not with us anymore. Even w/ clinical trials, without insurance, you will have a hard time getting accepted in the trial. Not trying to paint a bad picture here, it's just the truth. I've had a CT or MRI every 3 months for the past 2 and a half years.

Cheryl

I had aCT at Diagnosis and then over 3 years later had an MRI because of symptoms (slight headache, and vision problem) . It revealed a very large single mass (5 or 6CM) that I successfully had removed\. Still I feel like i should have had one oredered sooner !

Joe

My doctors ordered my first MRI of the brain on the day of diagnosis to insure I had no cancer there for proper staging probably. Since then each time I have a routine PET Scan, the MRI of the Brain was ordered. Now that they have found Brain Mets and I had Gammaknife, I will have a brain MRI every 6 weeks.

Lilly

I am sure it is because of insurance companies but I did ask my Onc about a brain MRI and she indicated if there was a single solitary sympton then she would try to get one approved for me. This is surely not something I want to fake to fool the insurance company for fear it would then come to haunt me. If I were rich I would just pay to have one done for peace of mind but until I win the lottery I have to depend on my insurance company. I wonder if Medicare is any easier to deal with??

I inquired about Mom having an MRI and the Oncologist said that they only do it if there are symptoms. Nice. A couple months later she was having a seizure and we found out she had mets to the brain. I wonder to this day if we had caught the brain tumors sooner if the WBR would have been more successful. Mom had good coverage too - and I feel this was insurance related. How did the onc know what kind of insurance she had? I feel that due to her age they skipped doing the MRI to be proactive. He said that even if you found it sooner the treatment would have been the same.....yes, but the primary tumor would have been smaller.....

I say be proactive and request it yourself.

Rochelle,

I had a MRI when I was first diagnosed. Sloan Kettering recommended that I have a MRI after one year. The FAA that just reissued me a pilot’s medical certificate is going to require a MRI every 6 months. Some doctors will only give a MRI when they think there are signs of a problem. Do not know if this helps or not.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie