start of a plan

barbara5452

Went to onc. yesterday cyberknife cannot be done after reviewing my tests. Reg. radiation can and will start on 2-5-07 for about 6 weeks. Radiation to mediastinum which will include lymph nodes not yet involved and part of the left and right lungs just as a preventitive in case microscopic cells are there. No liver or adrenal involvment. Just the one mass. Also they are going to add chemo while I am taking the radiation. Im so scared. I know alot of you have been through the chemo but I dont read much about chemo/rad together and that is what scares me. And I dont read much about people having the mediastium involvement so I feel I dont have much to go on. They told me due to the area being radiated I will get very sore when swallowing and I worry about my calorie intake. And that the esophogus may get restricted and I would have to have it stretched. Too much information at one time having a hard time dealing with it. I worry about not being able to work and loosing our home things like that. Hope I am strong enough to get through it and hope it will work....

Barbara-

You are in my thoughts and prayers. They told my mom the same thing about not being able to swallow, so we got the magic mouthwash, and you know she never had to use it. She used Mylanta alittle bit to help with the pain of the swallowing. It never really got real bad. Hoping and praying the same is true for you. I know it's easier said then done, but try and take one day at a time. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hugs and prayers

Connie

Barbara, I THink You Will do great. Deb was told to think about a Feeding tube wwhen she had Radiation. She did not have concurrent treatments though. But that was 3 years ago too. So much has changed. With just radiation to almost the esophagus, because site was so far up, She did great.

Thehtings we did and Not Medically. Include the following;

Room temp soft foods, not hot or cold

A Smoothie Machine and Frozen fruits, Assorted. They MAke Easier when frozen and Can change up the recipe using yogurt and fruits

A Pill crusher for Pain meds and other meds. Not a cutter, a Crusher, Powderizes MEds to add to liquids.

And THis Link May help some with some INfo;

http://www.cancure.org/help_side_effects.htm

Also Her bad side effects went away after treatment and she was fine.

Saying a special prayer for you tonit that all gets better today. And praying for a sunnier brighter day today.

Hi Barbara,

I had chemo and radiation concurrently and did have mediastinal lymph node involvement. I was switched to low-dose chemo (weekly) during radiation, so the chemo side effects weren't as bad. My appetite and swallowing were great until about 3/4 into radiation. I would use viscous lidocaine before eating to numb my esophagus so I could swallow and get some food down. Mostly I stuck to Boost, creamed soups at room temperature, mashed potatoes, jello, and pudding. I did lose quite a bit of weight, and the radiation center dietician was not my friend, but about 3 weeks after the end of radiation I started eating normally again. Never had to have a feeding tube or have my esophagus stretched.

I'll be praying that treatment goes smoothly for you. Good luck.

Trish

Hi Barbara,

I had chemo and radiation concurrently and did have mediastinal lymph node involvement. With only 10 more treatments left it got really bad for me. I had to take a week off radiation. I could not swallow anything cold, hot, room temp it did not matter. I never had my esophagus stretched so do not know much about that. None of the mouth washes worked for me. I forced myself to eat and drink a little to get through the day. It has now been over a month since my last treatment and I still can not eat alot of things but it is getting better. I have lost a total of 10 lbs. Just remember that everybodys body is different and will react different. Try not to be scared of the treatment you will get through it.We do what we have to do. My prayers are with you and your family.

Hi Barbara,

Alan had extensive radiation to his lung with mediastinum lymph nodes involved. Like the others about half way through

swallowing really became a problem. Everything needed to be soft and room tempurature.

Alan responded very well to radiation and I pray you will also.

Hi Barbara: my husband had trouble swallowing also & the onc. gave him a rx that the pharmacist compounded. It's made of mylanta and lidocaine and I think there was another ingredient which I cannot remember, but it helped quite a bit and he was able to swallow. Hope this helps

Some chemo's are more of an issue with radiation than others. For instance, I believe gemcitibine increases the effects of radiation, while taxotere does not. But as long as the radiation oncologist and your thoracic oncologist know what's going on, I'm sure it will be fine.

When I had radiation, I had a slight problem with my esophagus. But nothing that required medication. And it went away after a week or so.

Good luck. Let ua know how things work out.

Mary