Feeling apprehensive

jang

I just saw my doctor yesterday for my 6 month checkup. It has been 2 years since my surgery, so I am now on the once a year plan. I don't go back until next April. While I know this is good news, I am feeling a little apprehensive about waiting a year between CT scans. A lot can happen in a year. I told him this, and he assured me that I can come back whenever I want. :) Has anyone else experienced this fear? Tell me I am not alone......

First off, Jan, congrats on being a SURVIVOR!!!!!! Another reason for me to celebrate. I am ALWAYS looking for reasons to justify my celebrations!

As for fear...............I get it BIG time. My last followup I discovered I would be on a 6 month schedule. I think it was Geri who said something to this effect.....it's like being in the middle of a lake in a canoe with only one oar! Fear ~ BIG time. So facing a whole year ~ I'd probably be blubbering. But your doc has taken real good care of you so far, so you just gotta trust he knows what he's doing!

It's a beautiful day here, just read an uplifting post......truly life just doesn't get much better. Enjoy!

Kasey

I am a firm believer in keeping the stress down. The longest that I have gone is 6months. One reason is that the FAA requires this. If this bothers you at all I would call your doctor and ask for an appointment to be scheduled in 6 months for a scan. Then when the time comes if you are comfortable with waiting till the end of the year, you can cancel the scan. This way you would not be worrying. This is what I would do. It’s all about making me feel good about the situation.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Jan,

TO be perfectly honest, although I understand your apprehension, you will probably have no more fear than being every 6 months after you adjust to the year. That period right before the appointment is the worse, I know I start breaking down a month or so prior, figuring I will get bad news. It probably will be the same whether its 6 months or a year, cutting out one of those periods is probably a good thing, as far as worrying.

On the other hand, if it alleviates your concern and the doctor said it was okay to come back whenever you want, I don't see any problems staying with the 6 month plan. I agree that a year is probably a long time to wait and I don't think there is a problem with being overly vigiliant in our cases.

Its your body Jan, and your life - do what you need to do and don't worry about what your doctor thinks.

And by the way, congrats on the 2 years!!!!

Again, CONGRATULATIONS on being a survivor. Yes, I know your fear. I have a scan coming up next month. My oncologist told me that after that I can have a scan once a year. I told him that would be just too stressful for me to wait that long. We compromised. I will be seen twice, once for an xray and once for a CT scan, and of course go in anytime that I feel the need. That made me feel so much better.

Carol

If you are afraid--just ask your doc to come again in 6 months

I know when my Doc wanted to put me on yearly visits, I did not feel like I was ready and he readily agreed to see me again in 6 months

Please do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hi Jan,

Congratulations on your good report! I guess I feel a little differently than the others in that, now that I'm only going once a year, I only get that horrible anxiety I experience before the scan and dr appointment once a year. I spend about the month before my appointment in a state of panic, and if I only have to waste a month a year worrying about it, then I'm way better off.

But, if you don't feel comfortable, I'll bet your surgeon would agree to see you in 6 months or whatever you think would make you feel better.

Cindy

Hey girlfriend...I am on the once a year plan and wish it was every two years... :D I trust my onc to know what he is doing....and trust his decision...but like the rest of the gang said...if you feel the need for every 6 months...than 'go for it'....NOT ME!! :)

I do have chest exray's every 6 months thou...My onc and surgeon has brought me this far...and I will stick with their decision....of course I will have the hibbie jeebies when scan time comes....ugh...

Take care and go with your gut feeling...hugs...Pam

Hi Jan, I really preffer every 6 month. Now I am on 3 since my recurrence, but a year sounds to long. I know is "stress ime" but I want to be check us much is possible. Congratulations for the 2 years is great.

hugs bucky

Congratulations Jan. If I ever get rid of my cancer for 2 years, I will definitely want to stick with the 6 month plan, but I have had mine come back twice. Speaking of which, this August will be the 2 year anniversary of my current cancer and I have had no new disease since then. Now if I can just get rid of this pesky tumor, still local, but huge.

Don M