Hello to All

gchang817

Been visiting this site for a couple of months now. My dad has been living with metastatic prostate cancer for approximately 5 years. He is 65 years old and smoke for about 40 years.

In July of 2007, my father was diagnosed with nsclc. It was difficult to stage due to the mestatices of the prostate cancer. The cancer was in the upper right lobe and was inoperable due to location. He underwent 20 rounds of radiation to the site, and grew too sick to take anymore, he could no longer swallow and take in any food. Spent three days in the hospital in order to get fluids back in the body. After which he was doing better.

He has been on Carbo/Taxol for 3 treatments over the last month with Avastin. He has had a blood clot as well as thrush.

The most recent CT scan shows spread to the lower left lobe. The last pleural effusion showed no signs of metastaces.

It is a comfort to read this forum and all the people with such great outlooks on life.

Hi, welcome to the LCSC!

Your dad has had a lot piled on him in recent years. You mention he's been on Taxol/Carbo/Avastin for a month, and the last CT scan showed spread to another lobe. When was the scan done relative to starting Taxol/Carbo/Avastin? I'm thinking (hoping) the spread may have occurred before the chemo and Avastin were started or before they had a chance to work. If so, they still might do the job. That combo is pretty much the gold standard first-line treatment for NSCLC.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

I am sorry to hear about your father. I hope his next scan shows some improvement. That combination should help, if not there are many options still open to him. Avastin was quite successful for my husband. Welcome to the board.

Rochelle