Hi

drea73

Hi

I'm here because my dad may have lung cancer and I'm really scared for him and our family. He went to the Dr. last week and had a scan for something else and the recommended a chest Xray from something they saw on the scan. The chest X Ray came back with a mass in his lung. He is scheduled for tests and an operation for removal in a few weeks. I have no idea what all of this means. There were no symptoms, just a coincidence that he had the scan done for something else. A chest XRay a year ago was clean. He's quiet and doesn't seem to want to talk about it but it's all I can think about. How do you let this not completely consume you? My moms worried, we're all worried. He smoked all his life, until now, but otherwise healthy. What can I expect over the next few weeks?

Hello Drea73 and welcome

I am sorry about the problems your Dad is having. There is not much we can offer in the way of advice until you have answers as to what the mass is. Please know that I am hoping and praying for the very best as far as his operation and tests. It is so hard having to wait and wonder. We all know that feeling.

Please let us know what happens.. we will be here for you

Christine

Hopefully, it's not cancer. If it is, though, then your dad's story is starting out just like my mom's. Her cancer was discovered by a routine chest xray, before a totally unrelated surgery. And you know what? It was the best possible thing that could have happened (well, next-best to not having LC). Had her spot not been found until she had symptoms or just later in her life, it may have been a lot harder to treat. She is now a 7+ year survivor and doing absolutely great.

If it is cancer, hang on and let the good people here help you - it's a rough ride but one that your dad can absolutely survive. I know it's scary.

Wait for those test results, let us know how is goes, and take good care.

Your Dads situation is similar to mine. I think right now you are probably overwhelmed with a "fear of the unknown" and have more questions than answers. In time you will get answers and a course of action will develop. I pray for the best for your Dad.

Will someone (perhaps you) being going to the various tests and other appointments with your dad? The first few weeks are very hectic, there are a lot of unfamiliar terms being thrown about, and it's easy to misunderstand something that was said. A second set of ears and an extra hand to take notes and jot down questions that come to mind would be a great help and IN NO WAY a reflection on the mental competence of your dad or any other patient.

Your oncologist went to school for years on this stuff, he knows the jargon, he does this kind of work every day, and look at how many people he has to help keep track of all the details. Shouldn't your dad, who's doing this for the first time, have at least a staff of one?

Now would be a good time to scroll back up to bunny's post and read it again -- she has it exactly right.

My best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Drea and welcome! Try to remain calm until you know whether or not you have something to be worrying about. If the mass is cancer, it's good that it was caught so soon. My NSCLC was discovered as a result of an XRay for another medical procedure. That seems to be common here. We are all looking forward to hearing the results of his tests. If you can get him to talk about the situation, try to find out what kind of cancer he has and the Dr.s plans for treating it. It would be helpful if you were to fill out a profile. Good luck in the coming weeks.

Muriel

Drea, do you know how to add your profile to your posts? Click on My Profile at the top of the page and fill out the form - or as much of it as you want to show below your messages. You might want to read a few profiles to get a feeling for what kind of info. is good to include.

Muriel

Hi There,

I am so sorry to hear that your family is going through this. It's definitely tough news to be given. I remember when my Father was just diagnosed, he acted as normal as can be. He kept on working up until chemo. Part of being diagnosed is a grieving process.

I think the fact that the doctors are willing to operate to remove the mass is a positive.

Lots of luck,

Shirley