New guy intro.

StrahDawg

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I found your site and I think I qualify for joining the club. My name is Steve and I am a 3yr lung cancer survivor (adenocarcinoma 3a at diagnosis). Just a brief history I was 34 at diagnosis did chemo, radiation and tarceva. Surgery right pneumonectomy and 4 nodes. I believe it was about 3 or 4 months recovery from surgery and then another round of chemo, radiation and tarceva. I go every 6 months for my check-up and knock on wood so far so good. I have a beautiful wife, 10 yr old son and recently a beautiful new baby girl that doc gave us his blessing a year and a half ago that it was ok to try. I feel great for the most part but I still get frustated in dealing with the one lung. What I mean is I don't know sometimes when I get winded working out or running if it's do to age and just getting older or if maybe I'm just not in the best shape anymore and just have to deal with it and quit complaining. I'm hoping to find some similar cases to me and hopefully get some pointers on trying to stay healthy and active. Thanks in advance and always keep fighting!

HI Steve and Welcome to LCSC where none of us really want to hang out at, but we're sure glad this place is here! :wink: I've been part of this board from day one. It's GREAT for support and information and for making some wonderful friends. :wink: We're the BEST! :D

You can read my profile below but you'll see we have somethings in common. I would like to say that I have learned that chemo and radiation are also hard on the heart. And because of this, it can also cause SOB (shortness of breath). Treatments can cause SOB. I too thought for a while it was my lung, but I knew in my mind it wasn't. Plus my Pulm Doc also said there was NOTHING WRONG WITH MY LUNG! Well, he and I were right, it ended up being my heart that was causing me problems. I have had cardiologists tell me my heart did have damage to it because of chemo and radiation.

I know a few people who had there right lung removed also and they too complain about being SOB. (more so then I ever did) I had my left lung removed and at first I did have SOB but then I worked at building up my lung capacity and all was fine for 7-1/2 years with my breatheing but then my heart started to act up and well, as I said, read my profile.

Feel free to PM me or just post to the board if you have any questions. I'm more then happy to share my journey with you and everyone here.

Congratulations on being a 3 year Lung Cancer Survivor! HOORAY and GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! :wink:

I hope you'll stick around and get to know all of us and allow us to get to know you and your family also. Best wishes.

Hi StrahDawg-

Welcome!! Sorry you had to find us but you will be amazed at the folks here.

I see you are from Cleveland - well, I am right here in Parma Hts. Do you go to the Clinic for treatment?? If so, what doc do you have??

Your story is inspiring - 3 year survivor and a new baby to boot!!! Wow!! That'll give some of our new members a boost reading that!!!

Hope you stick around so we can get to know you and you can get to know us. So glad you found us.

Hugs to you and your family - Patti B.

hey there new guy. So nice to hear your story. A new baby and all. You are blessed. I think just exercising everyday, regardless of whether you think you are in better or worse shape than you were younger, is very very important in continuing to beat this thing. I had never been to the gym before this, but decided that was what I needed to do to fight it. And I know that it has really helped. thanks for joining in. Hearing others stories really helps us all.

Hello Steve and welcome. I think it is great that you are doing so well.I also had my right lung removed.Sometimes just sitting around the house I forget that I even had a lung removed and that maybe I should get off disability and try to find a job that pays. But as soon as I try to get very physical it reminds me very quickly that I no longer can do what I used to do.(Not even close.) But I am very content being able to do what I am doing and not being on oxygen.Im just happy to be alive.I hope you keep posting.Your story can inspire others. Mike

Thanks again everybody for all the kind words, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I will definately post when I can and contribute anyway possible. Wow Patti your right small world, actually I will being see Dr Mekhail today it's my 6mo. check up. That's kind of how I found this place I was feeling a little emotional about check up time. I feel great and dont think I have anything to worry about but I just get so nervous about going. Thanks again everybody talk to you soon.

Found you, Steve!!!!! I don't know how this thread slipped by me. In case you didn't know ~ I already posted my congrats on your update post. Now I feel I 'know' you a bit better. It is wonderful that things have been going so well ~ especially with a beautiful wife, son, and brand new daughter. Hopefully the good news will keep right on coming for you. Nice to 'meet' ya.

Kasey