Breakthrough Training

ursol

I had to share this. Today was my second day of a three day training at work called breakthrough trainer. The moderator from California talked about Responsibility and that we are responsible for everything in our lives and we make choices for everything. As people were questioning him, he brought up the tobacco industry as an example and indicated that they (smokers) blame the tobacco industry for their problems when they should blame themselves as they knew tobacco was bad for them.

I cannot believe he said that. I wanted to get up in the middle of the class and scream "I have lung cancer you Moron, do you think I deserve this". But I didn't because I did not want the whole room to feel sorry for me. He also said there is no such thing as hope. Hope doesn't make things happen.

Unfortunately I have another day to put up with this guy tomorrow. YUCK!

Lilly

Well if it was me, I would take the opportunity to educate the trainer. Offside of course, and as diplomatically as possible. He may just not be aware of how hurtful and inappropriate his comments are. Hope your company isn't paying him too much. If nothing else, I would provide whomever in company responsible for training, your feedback. Just my 2 cents.

From what you posted, it doesn't sound like he said that smokers "deserved" lung cancer, but he said that smokers should accept responsibility for their actions. Two different things.

HOWEVER, he needs to be reminded of the fact that the tobacco industry deliberately made cigarettes more addictive. They knew about the addictive power of nicotine and hid it from the public. Therefore, smokers do have a valid reason to blame the tobacco industry!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Karen

Lily-

OMG!!! I am on my way to kick that guys *ss for all of us!!!

Gee Mike - what a great idea!!!!!

See I am the kind of person I would have caused a scene - God bless you Lily for being able to control yourself.

Hope today goes better for you.

Patti B.

I'm so sorry you had to be subjected to this moron's inane comments.

Being the genteel, docile woman that you all know me to be, I'd have torn his jugular out with my right hand while ripping his face off with my left. But that's just me. :wink:

I'm in a bit of an anger phase of my widowhood now, so more time has to pass before I can realistically become an advocate or the bloodbath would be a bit much.

Seriously, I agree with SuzyQ (Karen). It's an addiction -- not a blame game! Big tobacco has ratcheted up the nicotine content in cigarettes by 20% in recent decades. After all, they must maintain their customer base. Congress has turned a blind eye because big tobacco lines their pockets. We're all being hoodwinked and the misconceptions about lung cancer continue...

I hope the last day with this jerk passed okay for you.

Hugs,

Welthy