Third line failure

sunnyside

I know I'm not as active here as many, but I wanted to update those of you who know my story. A scan yesterday documented progression on Alimta, my third line treatment. I knew what the scan would show because I developed left hip pain over the weekend. My lung primary is stable but I have multiple new nodules in both lower lobes, my main liver lesion is larger and there are many smaller lesions scattered throughout the liver, my right adrenal lesion is larger, my thoracic spine lesions are stable but there is a new one at T12, there are new lesions in the L1 and L4 vertebral bodies and new lesions in the pelvis (accounting for the left hip pain). So I had a partial response and then stable disease on Carbo/Taxol/Avastin and then progression and bad side effects on both Tarceva and Alimta. My oncologist is planning to go back to the Carbo/Taxol/Avastin starting Friday as long as the orthopedic surgeon says we don't have to do anything right this minute about the left hip metastasis.

It's so odd. I feel fine. This thing is growing and spreading and will undoubtedly beat me sometime in the foreseeable future, but I would never know it without the scans. Bleargh.

Hi Lisa. I am so sorry to hear about your progression. It is odd that you can feel fine and have all that going on. This is a deadly silent awful freakin' disease. I wish you the best with your next round of treatments and hope that you continue to feel fine.

Sandra

Hi Lisa-

So sorry you showed progression and I hope that you are cleared to go back on the Carbo/Taxol/Avastin regimen and it does some real butt kickin".

It is strange, isn't it......my last scan I felt so sick and it turned out to be stable. Now I am worrying because I feel good!!! Damn disease - I hate it!!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Lisa - I am very sorry to hear about your progression. I will be praying that you can restart your treatment regime very quickly and get those nasty mets taken care of as well.

As Sandra and Patti have said this is certainly a sneaky, nasty disease. One good thing is that you are feeling fine - strong and fit to continue treatment and enjoy your daily activities.

Please keep us posted as to what the oncologist decides. To echo Patti "Damn disease - I hate it!!"

Take care,

Linda

So sorry to hear about your progression, Lisa. I always read your blog, then use the link on that page to read Jerrold Dash's blog (his isn't good news this week either).

Here's hoping the Carbo/Taxol/Avastin gets you stable again.

Lisa, sorry to hear the latest news on progression. But you are feeling well and that's so important because it suggests you're strong enough to do well on the C/T/A again. As you already know and I can attest to as well, it's a kicking combo--like one of my chemo nurses called it "the big guns." Here's hoping it knocks you back to stable.

Judy in Key West

Hi Lisa, my husband just had his ninth round of treatment in the form of Carboplatin, Taxotere, Avistan, and Zometa. He has had two sets of scans with extremely good results showing on both. Both times scans were done there was a shrinkage of over 50%. This combo has worked fine for him. We go for his tenth treatment in three weeks and they will do scans again. Hopefully, your previous treatment will give you better results on your next scans. Good Luck!

Jean

My insurance company wouldn't approve Avastin so my oncologist decided to mix it up a little and go with Cisplatin/Taxotere, which I got on Friday. I got Aloxi in the IV and have been taking Emend so minimal nausea. My hip is more painful today but otherwise I'm feeling better than I expected. I plan to head up to Dana-Farber as soon as possible to make plans for a clinical trial at whatever point the Cisplatin/Taxotere doesn't work or stops working. I'm going to need another tissue biopsy because the study will depend on molecular markers and there's no more tissue from my original biopsy. I have a very accessable lesion in my pelvis, so I'll try to get rolling on that, too, before I might have to have the hip irradiated.

So my overall plan is Cisplatin/Taxotere as my last shot at traditional chemotherapy. One clinical trial when and if that fails. Then best supportive care. My next scan (after two cycles of the C/T) will be the day before tax day.

I read of Carole Hammett's passing and, while it saddens me to lose her voice, I celebrate her ability to thoroughly enjoy her life to the end and plan to keep my focus, as she did, on quality of life.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and support.