Hello from Louisiana

Hello, all. My name is Amy and I live in Opelousas, La. I'm 39, I will be 16 weeks pregnant with my 4th child on Friday and I was diagnosed with a pancoast tumor last week. Not a very happy way to introduce oneself but I guess thats why I'm here...to talk to and learn from others who can truly understand what I'm trying to wrap my head around.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and hope to talk with some of you soon. If I can be an ear for anyone, please feel free to bend mine. I'm sure I'll be looking to do the same as this mess I find myself in finally begins to sink in. Good night.

Amy, welcome to the group. I'm so glad you found us but :o sorry for your situation. I don't know anything about cancer and pregnancy except I do recall a woman refering to her healthy robust four-year-old son as her "miracle" child. I do know womean have babies through cancer treatment but I feel for you.

I noticed it was three in the morning when you posted? Don't know what time that was in LA but this is a good place to come to when you can't sleep. Tell us more about your cancer and treatment plan when you can.

Judy in Key West

Thanks for your responses, Calintay and jaminkw. I'm sure you both know how nice it feels to know there are others out there who do truly understand.

I am stage 3, but my oncologist firmly believes there is a 50/50 chance that he can "heal" me. I am taking radiation m-f for 7 weeks along with vp16 and cisplatin, 10 days on 10 days off. After that, if the drugs and radiation have done what they're designed to do, I'll be scheduled for a lobectomy. My doctors strongly encouraged me to terminate my pregnancy but, by the time they figured out what is wrong with me, I'm too far along to do so. Mixed blessing, in my opinion. I feel my baby moving already and to abort the pregnancy would've probably pushed me right over that perverbial edge. So, we're left with doing what we have to for the cancer and leaving the baby's life in God's hands.

I'm so incredibly new to all of this that I don't know what kinds of questions to ask of you so please don't think I'm completely wrapped up in my own issues, I just don't know the "lingo" yet to have what I'd like to call an educated conversation with you. lol I'm eager to hear anything you'd like to volunteer about your personal situations and again, I'm grateful for your responses. I feel blessed that other people care enough about strangers to reach out their hands in friendship.

As far as late night posting, thats probably when I'll be here the most. I don't sleep well at night and that is what brought me to this board at 4 this morning.

Have a wonderful day and I look forward to talking with you again soon!

Amy

Hi Amy

So sorry that you have a reason to be here. You will find great support from members on here. They are also very knowledgeable in dealing with this terrible disease. When questions arise, post them here and most likely some member has experienced the same thing and can help with an answer. I certainly know what it is like not being able to sleep at night. Especially in the early stages of diagnosis and treatment. Take care and please keep posting.

Hello Amy! I am a pancoast tumore survivor ~ not pregnant though, when diagnosed. What a predicament, huh? Bad enough to be told you have cancer, but now the worry over that baby just can make things too difficult to comprehend. I know I certainly cannot.

You sound like you are beeing well taken care of ~ and the chemo combo is exactly what pancoast tumors should receive. I would caution you about one thing though. You are getting quite a bit of radiation. Now I am no doctor, BUT I would check with your radiation onc about the maximum radiation limit to still be considered a surgical candidte. My surgeon stopped radiation after a certain amount because too much can cause scarring and/or bleeding and make surgery not an option anymore.

There are more pancoast tumors here so take heart that all CAN be well. I'm just sorry you have the worry of pregnancy on top of it all. Please come here for support and info. Sometimes some of us are awake in the middle of the night too ~ ya never know who you might find!

Kasey

Hi Amy,

Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. This site has been a huge support to me. I'm not familiar with pancoast tumors, I had small cell. But I did get an upper left lobectomy (ULL), followed up by Cisplatin and VP16. No radiation. One thing I will tell you is don't listen to "statistics" all they do is scare you half to death. We are all differant and react differantly to treatment, so stats just don't work. How is your treatment plan going so far? You doing okay?

Dana

Hi Amy and a warm welcome to the board. I have found it a tremendous support in my journey and I hope you will too. I am sending you and your baby prayers for successful treatments and a healthy baby. Look around the board and you will find many survivor stories that will inspire you and give you HOPE. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra

Hello Amy. I also am a Pancoast tumor survivor, read my story by clicking below. I also began with daily radiation and Cisplatin and Etopiside (VP16) so that I could have surgery. After surgery they told me it was all dead scar tissue! I did have more chemo after also as was the plan.

I did not think I would see my next Birthday but here I am over 11 years later about to have another Birthday this summer!

May your tumor respond the same and May you be enjoying your childs Birthday again 10 years from now. You will and your baby will be in my prayers.

Keep us posted.

Donna G

Hi Amy,

I'm so very sorry to hear that while you are pregnant you were diagnosed with lung cancer. I’m glad your doctor feels there is a 50/50 chance he can heal you. There’s a lot to take in at first and it can be overwhelming for sure. Take it one step and one day at a time. Research as much as you can—knowledge is the key. It’s Lung Cancer 101, you learn as you go along. Below is a link that I hope might be of help to you. There are members here who have been cured, lived many many years after there prognoses or are living many many years after there prognoses. Read other members profiles and the My Story Forum for inspirition. Stay with us and ask away, chances are someone has been there/done that. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

Rich

http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 585#163585 (Helpful Links / Questions to ask your Doctor)

Thanks so much to all of you for the warm welcome! I was told that having my type of cancer at the "young" age of 39 is simply unheard of so Wendy, your response in particular helped eradicate some of that "what a freak" feeling I'd been experiencing.

I'm so inspired by all of your responses and the courage with which it seems each of you have faced and are currrently facing this disease. Its more than amazing to feel so jazzed after hearing from you all and I can feel the fight and a renewed feeling of indignance rising within. Thanks again to my new friends!

Welcome Amy-

So sorry you find the need to be here but glad you found us. I cannot imagine what it must feel like to not only be dx'd with cancer (which was SO scary) but to also be pregnant. I wish you and your baby the very best of luck.

Please let us know more about you.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Amy

I just want to welcome you and say that I am sorry you have to be here. I don't know much about your kind of situation but I can keep you in my prayers as will everyone here. This is a great place for support.

I lived in Houma for 32 years so I do know your area well. I just came from a visit with my kids in Houma a couple of months ago. If you go to the just for fun forum you will meet Will (Broken Arrow) he lives in Louisiana too.

AmyJean,

Your post hit deeply (called Bill into the room to read it to him, as well). Because you are also involved with your baby's well being in addition to your basic health concerns, you have a full plate.

This is so very poignant to me/us. You are so very warmly welcomed, as are all who come here with lung cancer (whatever type/kind).

Bill and I never gave birth to any children (all four of ours are adopted) but your concern of what you are saying about your unborn child sits heavily with us, as with those who have children born to them. You and your unborn child are in God's Hands. All we can do, Amy, is to hope for the best outcome.

I am sure you have the best of care. Keep hope alive witin you. That is so important.

Please, come back often (no matter the time of night or day), and let us know how it is going with you. You are in our prayers.

You will be in my thoughts, as well,

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...

I may have missed it but I don't think you have given us an update and I for one am wondering how you are doing.

Please don't be a stranger here. Now that we have "met" you, you have become one of this family that no one ever wanted to belong to. We may not have wanted it but Thank God we have it. After you are here for awhile you will feel the same way.