Wigs

Guest Teri

I spoke with my father(FL) yesterday and he said that my mother is depressed about her hair falling out. I then called my sister immediately in TX and let her know what is going on. My sister asked what it cost for wigs and I told her I don't know. Where can she go to find a wig? My sister and I are going to pay for the wig. Thanks, Teri

Teri-

This topic has been discussed at length before. you might try going up to the top of the page and doing a "SEARCH" for wigs, losing hair, etc., and access past posts. There was some good advice there. I haven't had personal experience yet, so can't advise you, but I'm sure there are others here who will help. Good luck and God bless!

Most high end Beauty Shops can get them or you can try the American Cancer Society (they don't carry them but can recommend in your area). I bought my first one at a Merle Norman outlet and I bought 2 at a beauty school. What color is your Moms hair? I have a great red curly wig and an auburn "bob" type wig that I would be happy to donate to her if she like.

I have 2 others that I wear all the time and these are just collecting dust (not really, lol). PM me if you are interested.

God Bless, MO

My wife wore turbins and a floppy canvas hat as well as the wig. She felt the wig was too hot, but that probably isn't a problem in winter. Another thing you might consider -- when my wife's hair started falling out, she had her head shaved so she had one trauma over it instead of days or weeks with it falling out. Best wishes. Don

Thank you ALL for your input. It sad not being there with my mom on Christmas Day, thank goodness for phones and computers, my sister(MD) and her family are spending Christmas down in Fl with my parents this year. I will mention to my sister(TX) about the American Cancer Society and see what we can do for her. Thank you all again! God Bless! Teri[/b]

Dear Teri,

So sorry to hear you mom is having a tough time with all this. I totally understand as we all do!

I could be wrong on this but, I got my wigs through Paula Young. Try Paulayoung.com They were Awesome and CHEAP!!! I know they have a site on the Internet. They range in price from $29.00 to $109.00 can't beat the prices.

God Bless and Good luck. Tell mom, she needs to have FUN with her new DO!! :wink:

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Connie

Hi Teri,

Before my Mom started chemo we went wig shopping. She wanted one as close to the style and color of her own hair. It was quite an adventure, I even got her to try on some unusual ones! We orderd one from a shop that catered to cancer patients. It was quite expensive, but her medical covered most. (By the way, she never did lose her hair......nor wear the wig!) When she was to undergo a new chemo program we shopped again, but this time from a mail order cataloge. They were much cheaper. They also have an on line site www.paulayoung.com. Check them out.

Faylene

Hi Teri,

I didn't see anyone suggest it, but I do know that at the hospital Keith gets his treatment from, they have information on an organization that provides wigs to people going through cancer treatment free of charge. You may want to ask your medical oncology staff if they have any information about the foundation, or the next time I am at the hospital (next Tuesday) I will pick up one of their fliers and get you more info.

Best Wishes,

Carleen

Our local Cancer society has a wig closet housed at a beautyparlor. There are many styles avaibable from catalogue that are not expensice. I don't have the address now but Am Cancer society does. Upscal department stores carry them but much more expensive than the catalogue. My head is appparently small and I couldn't find a hat that didn't fall down over my ears so had to wear a wig or bandana at home. My nurse friend who is a cancer survivor shaved my head when it started falling out and that wasn't too tramatic. I found the catalogue and their phone number is1-8---850-9445. Their wigs start about $35 and go up. They also have hats, turbins etc. Good luck in findng one that will make your mother feel ggod. I received more compliments- friends told me I should keep that style when mine came back.

Teri,

I will also suggest Paula Young. Very reasonable and lots of choices. I bought a huge selection. I would ask my husband who he'd like to go out with: A blonde, brunnette, redhead? Paula Young specials can't be beat. I donated a half-dozen to my cancer center.

Yesterday, while I was having chemo I noticed a wig catalog. The prices were OUTRAGEOUS! And their wigs were UGLY. I think taking advantage of cancer patients like that should be reported. Since I didn't know who I would have reported to, I just thru the catalog out. Infuriated me!

I hope your mom has some fun with wigs!

JudyB

Teri,

I think that is so wonderful of you to help make your mom feel better. The hospital where my mom received her treatments actually had a wig shop available to all cancer patients. You could come in and borrow wigs at no cost. My mom's hairdresser went with her to match color and style. My mom ended up using mostly turbans and bandanas. She too found the wigs too hot. Best of luck to you.

My Mom received catalogs from the Cancer Institute that she went to. She bought a couple from TLC. They were decently priced. The wig she liked the most was the one we went and got before her hair fell out so we could match the color and style. My Mom also bought a sleep cap from TLC and that was a the best purchase for her. Her head got so cold when her hair fell out. Good luck to your Mom and your family.

Michelle

A woman, I know, when she went through chemo, and lost her hair, tried several wigs and was not comfortable. She finally had a pin made that said BALD IS BEAUTIFUL. She wore the button, pinned to her blouse, or jacket, and went bald. She said it helped her, because so many people were caught off guard. She had fun with it.

When I had my chemo and lost my hair, at least 6 women said I could borrow their wigs. I thanked them for their offer and kindly turned them down.

My hair is back now, and I am getting my first haircut tomorrow. I like the length it is now, and I decided to keep it short. It's much easier to care for.

When I went with my mom to her first onc. appt. they had catalogs for wigs and hats, etc. from the American Cancer Society. I took two so that we could look at them together, and talk over the phone if necessary, to help pick one out together. Their prices were very reasonable. They had a good selection of styles and colors available. They also sold shampoo and styling products as well as head wraps, turbins, hats, ets.. Oh, and they had a section on makeup application to cover dark circles under the eyes, and eyebrow/eyelash loss. Mom ordered two wigs from them and was very happy with them. Good luck and let us know how the wig search goes, Take care, Deb

My youngest daughter found a t-shirt at the mall for her Grandma (my Mom) that says

"IM TOO SEXY FOR MY HAIR - THAT'S WHY IM WITHOUT"

I thought it would be great humor for my Mom to wear to chemo treatments.

We went wig shopping on one of Mom's good days, and had a blast, I wish I would have taken my camera, I laughed and Mom laughed, it was a great day to remember

Best of luck, I would suggest many different fun head wraps and hats. and Mom is now into the 'Funky earrings" they say wearing them, takes away from losing your hair, her head is beginning to hurt so it won't be long before she loses her beautiful red locks.

I got a wig from the Cancer Program where I had my surgery, and it's lovely -- but I hated wearing it. felt like I had this huge thing on my head.

I too shaved it all off when I knew it was coming out anyway.

I loved the turbans, kept my head warm esp at night and in the hospital. As I felt better and the hair was growing out I wore bandanas a lot.

A terry turban for general principles and a velour turban for feeling dressed up... lol....

I guess either you're a wig person or you're not.

Glad to hear that paulayoung has reasonable wigs for cancer patients at affordable prices, and that you all who liked wigs were able to have some fun with them.

I have gotten pretty good at recognizing a 'chemocut', and go out of my way to compliment those women who wear them (and proudly, might I add).

Hair did grow back. That adventure is over for the time being for me.

just my two cents.

MaryAnn