Late Stage Roll Call

jaminkw

I gave a lot of thought to where to put this. I'm hoping General is appropriate. I thought LC Survivors first but realized that might make people think I don't consider Early Stage to be survivors. I certainly do. But I have to admit, when I'm reading in Good News, I do sometimes skip to the profile to see if the person is early stage. Not that I think they have it easy or have any less anxiety about what will happen as time passes. It's more about how relevant the events are to me, a IIIb'er. (Dr West says I'd be IVa in the new staging system but that it's not really a significant difference. I guess they figure late stage is late stage.)

I'm thinking maybe others of you would like to see a roll call of late stagers. It would make us feel better and the early stagers even more so. I know you are out there--I believe all the moderators of LC Survivors are late stage survivors. Come on now, with all the bad news lately, we could really use some rah rah we're winning.

I'll start. I'm IIIb adenocarcinoma. Was told they found adenocarcenoma cancer cells in the fluid removed from my lung after being hospitalized for pneumonia. Oddly enough, I never recorded the date the doctor who called told me sometime mid to late September. I could go back and figure it out, I'm sure, but it's never seemed important. What is important was my official dx at MDACC on Oct 30, 2007. So I'm getting ready to celebrate my 2nd year anniversary of that date. I was in remission for a year, six months on chemo and six months that I chose to go off Avastin maintenance. I showed progression off treatment in May 09 and am currently on Alimta. For the most part I feel really great lately, although it's all relative isn't it LOL.

O.k., it's your turn. Just a little info including your stage and type of cancer, how long you have been a survivor and any other info you can offer to boost the spirits of other late stage survivors.

Judy in Key West

I was diagnosed with stage IIIb adenocarcinoma 3 years and 40 days ago, and while I've never been in remission or had the "no evidence of disease" acronym applied to my case, I'm stable and doing much better than I ever thought possible when this all started in 2006. The details are available via the link below, so I'll just summarize by saying that I've been on some form of treatment continually since October 2006, and my main limitation at the present time is significant anemia/shortness of breath as a result of long-term chemo (which has damaged the bone marrow). My red and white blood cell numbers are all below normal and have been for a few months, but so far they haven't been low enough to require any transfusions or an interruption of treatment.

Ned

Im a caregiver, but my husband was diagnosed 14 months ago yesterday with stage IV with mets to the bone and later devloped liver mets.

We recently received a good scan and for the most part my husband's quality of life has been great. He's got a nasty rash still, but that is not stopping him from doing anything.

Most know something of my story ~ posted in the My Story forum. For this post, let me say that I was dx either llla OR b - depending upon which doctor you are asking. I was deemed inoperable by 3 different facilities until I located a gifted surgeon at the Natinal Institutes of Health. I have received good scans since my surgery in January 2005. In fact, I'm getting ready to head there next Monday. Gotta say that it's still an anxious time. This time I am counting it as my 5 year mark since I was dx in September 2004. Rather scary. Anyhow - that's how it went for me. I know I am a very lucky lady and sometimes have a difficult time with that, especially in light of all our losses here.

Kasey

My husband Ron was diagnosed with stage 3A Squamous NSCLC on Valentines day in 2007, the mass was found by accident on January 30 so he is coming up to almost 33 months. He has been no evidence of recurrent disease since December of 2008 and has chest x-rays every 12 weeks and no further CT Scans unless symptoms develope. Ron was also the second person to be enrolled in the phase 3 Stimuvax Trial @ the Juravinski Cancer Centre in Hamilton Ontario and is in the maintanance end of the trial, vaccines every 6 weeks indefinately until progression. Unfortunately last Wednesday during a check-up at the Centre and his vaccine day, they discovered a "lump" over his upper left front rib cage and we will be heading back there shortly this afternoon for an Ultra Sound and needle guided biopsy, so it is scanxiety again unexpectedly as this is also the side of his original cancer, the upper left lung close to the pulmonary artery. Otherwise he has been back to work full time since June of last year although he tires easily and is of course short of breath due to the radiation fibrosis. He takes extra days off and copes the best that he can but I think he is gradually looking more forward to retirement and pension on a daily basis and unfortunately has our health benefits.

I am typically a lurker and still receive a lot of encouragement from my daily readings on this site, although as of late, a lot of heart ache as well. This disease has changed our lives forever, a lot of ways good but not all!

Sandy in Guelph Ontario.

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed at stage 4, adenocarcinoma with mets to my spine, hip, shoulder, and rib in July of 2007. I got a pretty good response from my first line chemo and continued on Tarceva/Avastin for 14 months after that with no progression. Lately, I've tried Alimta, then Gemzar, and am now on Navelbine and hoping it will be the one. I was extremely bad off when diagnosed and nobody thought I'd make it 1 year, here I am at more than 2 years with a lot to fight for.

Anne

I was diagnosed in June 2006 with tumor on right lung and mets to lymph nodes, staged IIIA. After lung resection, dr's found brain mets and mets to adrenal gland. restaged IV. After lots of treatments and a major surgery that almost killed me, I have no evidence of disease at the moment. 3yrs and 3 mos. survivor so far.

It's been a long road but I'm still alive much to my surprise and loving life every day. I have been very lucky and blessed and so thankful for all the prayers I have received.

Lilly

I'm not sure I'd be considered a survivor yet - won't be a year until November. But was diagnosed III (a or B), squamous cell, in Nov. 2008. Surgery would have been an option, but I'd lost my left lung in 1998. Did chem/radiation - and started a trial in June. Have been stable since my scan in May, and am continuing with the trial. With the exception of more shortness of breath due to the chemo/rad - I am feeling great and am back to work. I don't post too often, mostly because I'm in a rush going somewhere, but I do check in everyday.

I was diagnosed in January, 2005

I had concurrent weekly chemo and daily radiation

I had an upper right lobectomy in July,2005

I had adjuvant chemo in August and September

By the Grace of God my scans have been clear since.

Carol

I was diagnosed stage IV on December 22, 2006 with mets to my spine (in 3 places) and my brain. I had radiation treatments to the spine and brain and started Tarceva on February 15, 2007. Almost at the 3 year mark - and NED! Besides the Tarceva side effects - I feel great and am enjoying life and am happier than I have been in years.

Everyone here is in my prayers.

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

Randy, I get it now--know I could just say "bump." But I wanted to tell each and every one of you how inspirational your results are. There are eleven of us who have already posted and hopefully this will jar more of you to come in and add to our numbers. And yes Diane, you do count as a survivor. With advanced stage lung cancer, I don't put any time limit on survival.

Judy in Key West

I was diagnosed with stage IV this summer and I am still undergoing treatment every 21 days.

I just want to say thank you to each of you for sharing your journey with lung cancer. It is truly a blessing to have a place to turn to for information and most of all a place where everyone understands all the issues that go with lung cancer. God bless, Richard

I will add my sister in here. She was diagnosed with 3b 29 months ago. Every single scan has been better than the previous one. April and August the scan showed no uptake in the tumor, though it is still visible on the CT. Her nodes were sterilized by first-line chemo/radiation and nothing else has ever shown up.

Since her diagnosis, she has gone to Paris twice - last fall for a week with me and our other sister, then last month for 2 weeks with her husband, a week of which was also spent with our cousin and her husband.

In August, she walked a 5K with our brother, her daughter, 3 nieces, 4 nephews - all while her husband, other daughter and several more of us were riding our 45 mile bike ride at the Livestrong Challenge in Philly.

She's done outstanding and we hope and pray that I can keep saying that for years to come!

Well, I guess I'll add Bill's 4 years, 10 + months to the mix. He has earned them by taking on lung cancer as a job. This he has done with dignity, and given his all since December 4, 2004.

He is on hospice (voluntarily) due to the issue of no more treatments available in the pipeline.

(Most clinical trials not available due to having had so many regimens). The hospice is taking up the pain problem (they are helping a lot with that shoulder). For now, we are still giving it our best.

He still gets up and is active every day. Mainly, he is still alive and kickin'. :D

What is important, I think, is that survivor is a word in spirit, as well. May everyone here enjoy survivorship in every way possible.

Bill is living proof that God is the only One to call the shots, thankfully.

God bless everyone here with bountiful survivorship.

Barbara

I'm still here!

I have recurrence, but I still mostly suffer with mild side effects from treatment. It's been over a year since my diagnosis - and almost a year since surgery. I'm swimming, working, taking a course at the University that lasts 9 months (optimistic?) and trying to plan a vacation.