Father just diagnosed

Guest Retha

My father has been diagnosed with SCLC, but he and my mother don't know it yet. The nurse at his new doctor's office told me, but our appointment isn't until Monday. I feel so awkward being around them and trying to keep my spirits up when I feel like I'm keeping such a secret. Right now he has the attitude that he can fight it, but after hearing the diagnosis, I'm not so sure. He's 77 (34 yrs non-smoker) and my mother is 89. I'm an only child, and scared to death. Not only do I feel like I'm losing him, but I'm worried about what it is going to do to my mother. :cry:

Welcome Retha,

I am very sorry to hear that your father has been diagnosed with SCLC. The first days of hearing this news are very difficult, but try to stay focused and positive, there is a lot that can be done and you have come to the right place for support. There is no other website as special as this one, come often and lean on us for support and knowledge.

Blessings,

Denise

Retha,]

Denise is correct. You will not find another website that will give yoy as much support as this one. The people her are supportive, caring and knowlegable. Please come here when you need help, depressed, discouraged or for whatever reason. It will help you tremendously. Prayers for your father and your family...

God Bless

Karen

Ditto what others have said. Remember, we have been taught that the word "cancer" and the word "death" are the same. But they are NOT! No matter what type, now matter how extensive there are folks right here who've beat the odds big time.

The next few weeks might be a rough ride, but just hang on tight and spend a LOT of time here. That's what I did and that's a big reason I'm doing ok emotionaly today.

Good luck with all this.

Dean

Evidently he knows he has cancer from your post, just not what type? Like the others have said, at first one wants to just roll over and die but once he gets a hold on his emotions, gets to know what options from the drs, he can start the good fight. It is not easy for some of the treatments are extremely hard but they do work on a large majority on this sight.

Your mom has you to help her though this, for being 89 will not be easy for her either but with hope and prayer, we seem to be able to help our loved ones.

Retha,

I am glad you found us. Dean is right, cancer is a word. It is a part of our lives, but not the focus. Explore your options, ask questions, write answers down. There are alot of us still around, surviving. I am glad your mother has you, for this will be exceedingly difficult for her. It's a rough rollercoaster ride, but you will find the folks on this board are warm and supportive.

Our prayers are with you,

MaryAnn

Retha,

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I also get the doctors telling me new things about my mom before they tell her and my Dad and it is such an emotional burden keeping it secret. I end up just telling my parents because I think that it may be easier to hear the news from me vs a doctor...I think I make the news less grim than the doctor does.

I am also an only child and worry about my Dad a lot if something happens to my mom.

PM me anytime. I understand.

Retha:

So sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis, but you came to the right place. My dad was diagnosed w/SCLC just three months ago and I didn't know anything about lung cancer. I am still learning more every day through this board. The people here are tremendous and can answer almost any question you may have because someone has already been through the experience. I was with both my parents during the tests and initial diagnosis as my dad was so ill he had to be hospitalized (mostly due to pain). Was VERY difficult, but now that everything is out in the open and we've talked about it, things aren't really easier -- we just know more about it. Will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers and keep up your strength and support your parents -- they are going to need you!

Guest cbysea1

Welcome Retha,

I am sorry you have to be here.

That's a phrase I first heard here.

It covers it all , simply and poignantly.

There is lot's of info on SCLC and there are many kind human beings here.

Regards,

Cheryl