Hair loss

Guest Tammy

Guest Tammy

I wanted to see how any of you dealt with hairloss from chemo? My Mom starts her chemo on Tue and i think loosing her hair will be tough on her. Is there anything that was said to you that made you feel good? I just want to help her through this and say the right things. God Bless

Tammy

On the advice of other women who had been through it, Lucie had her head shaved as soon as the hair started coming out, so she didn't have the agony of seeing clumps come out as time went on. Of course, the shaving is itself traumatic, but it is a one event. Before that, she went shopping with a friend for a wig to match her hair (a friend of mine's wife actually got one of a different color!) and a variety of turbans. That helped as she had fun pickng them out with a friend. She has one cap that is very soft for her to sleep in. Hope this gives you some ideas. Don

I was told that I looked like Jesse Ventura that helped me as I am a big man also. Don't think that would help your mom much though. There are so many beautifulk scarves and wraps people make for cancer patients I also believe there are some places that give cancer patients wigs for free.

I was having radiation with a woman who never lost any of her hair due to chemo, she had the same cocktail as me too carboplatin and taxol. Possibly check witht he american cancer society in regard to wigs I think that is where I may have seen the free wigs.

Good luck to you and your mother. David A

Dear Tammy,

I lost my hair in big clumps when I was on Taxotere. It was so annoying to wake up with hair in my mouth, that I decided to have my head shaved. I went to a hairdresser that specializes in working with cancer survivors. He buzzed and buzzed but left a little on top, so I had some semblance of a hairdo!

I never lost 100% of my hair, more like 95%. When my sister and mother saw my shaved head, they started to cry. I never cried though because I knew I had to go through what I was going through in order to get well. I felt that it was a small sacrifice.

What helped me the most, when I didn't have much hair, was that my husband kept telling me how cute I looked. He's a saint. His positive comments really really really helped me.

I had a good wig, but never liked to wear it. I preferred scarves. When my hair grew back, it came in curly. Now it's wavy and I like it.

I always figured I had a lot more to worry about than losing my hair. Hopefully your Mom will be able to focus on the positive side of having little hair--no blow driers, no haircuts, curling irons, perms etc. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Take care,

Ada

Guest Tammy

Thanks so much for all the advise. Mom and I went and bought her a wig today that looked so natural I don't think people will be able to tell because it looks like her normal hair. It is so nice to be able to get all of your opinions on how to help her because you are all going through it. It really means alot to me to have all of you. I wish the best for all of you. Take Care!

Tammy

I have noticed with Lucie and with patients I have visted in the hospital that the lack of hair highlights the eyes. The eyes are usually so pretty in contrast. I love to see Lucie's eyes light up when I say something funny. So there is an up side to the hair loss. I probably will notice her eyes more even when her hair grows back. Don

I have 2 children one is almost 7 and the baby is 14 months with no hair. We went into the wig shop and the lady says can I help you? I said yes we need a wig for him please :lol: she thought that was so funny and it made my Dad and Mom laugh as well. Then the lasy says to wash your wig use a mixture of Woolite and water and hang it on a chair not the wig stand or it will stretch Dad say I can see that now the cat will have it on the floor batting that around and Tam if your dog was there she would be humping it. :lol: thats the truth I have a dog with raging hormones. So at least we had humor thats the best thing.

Tammy

Good dog and cat story Tammy!! YOU'VE GOT TO KEEP THE HUMOR on this journey!! It's SO important to our recovery!! I have always been able to LAUGH at myself, but when I lost my hair, I cried for about a half hour and that was it, then it was on ward and up ward from that point on!!

I agree with the different color wigs that Ginny mentioned!! And I totally agree with Ada that your mom has more important things to worry about then her hair.

My dear friend took a picture of me after I lost my hair, well I as sooo darn mad that she did that, (at the time)! I'm here to tell you that I just crack up when I look at it now!! And I am SO happy she took that picture!! Sounds crazy, I know, but it just keeps me humble everytime I look at it.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

When I lost my hair, I thought it was the end of the world. I did the wig and turban thing and that helped.

I never thought about losing my eyebrows, eyelashes, leg hair, nose hair, etc. The funny thing is I only lost one of my eyebrows. Did I look silly. Bald and one eyebrow. And you gals know that when you pencil in an entire eyebrow it definitely looks different than a real one.

You just have to laugh.

Good Luck and God Bless

Sue M

I spent a fortune on hats, because that made me happy. I also redid my earring supply, because now I needed really eyecatching ones.

Help her to not feel she needs to keep the wig on, expecially in the safety of her family. My friends and family were so reassuring. I even took my wig off during lunch break at school, thanks to the urging of my friends.

Mom got the wig because Dad said he didn't want her sitting in the house because of not having any hair. She will just use it if we go out she is worried it will blow off but I want to get her out not sit around if she is feeling well. She starts her treatment on Tues and goes once every 3 weeks. Her treatment is Taxotere and Cisplatin. She is not sure if she will get radiation till she goes for a bone scan. She got her results back from her PET scan and that looks good but the doctor wants the CT scan and bone scan to be sure.